Shell32.dll Version 4.71 - Where Can I Download?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

I need a copy of shell32.dll Version 4.71 to use with a Windows NT 4.0
Terminal Server. Does anyone know where I can find such a beast?

Thanks,
--
Mike Schumann

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

You typically need to get the version that corresponds to whatver service
pack this machine is at. You ca extract the files from the SP by running
update.exe /x and will ask you where to extract these files too. You may
find the version your after in there. Why are looking at replacing this
file? This can really screw things up if you don't match the right verions
of shell32.dll and explorer.exe.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I need a copy of shell32.dll Version 4.71 to use with a Windows NT 4.0
> Terminal Server. Does anyone know where I can find such a beast?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Mike Schumann

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

I have run into a problem running Quickbooks 2004 on Windows NT 4.0. The
latest QuickBooks patches results in an error that it can't find
SHGetSpecialFolderPathA in Shell32.dll. Looking in google, there are
numerous references to this type of error with other applications running on
systems with Shell32.dll Version 4.0 loaded. Apparently, this is fixed if
you have Version 4.71.

However, the google searches indicate that this version was only installed
on systems with IE 4.01. If you installed IE 5.0 or greater and never
installed IE 4, Shell32.dll apparently never got updated.

I really need to get this file upgraded to Version 4.71 so I can try to make
Quickbooks run (Intuit is of no help, as the latest version of Quickbooks is
not supported on NT anymore).

Any help in finding the file, and instructions on how to try to upgrade
would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike Schumann

"Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You typically need to get the version that corresponds to whatver service
> pack this machine is at. You ca extract the files from the SP by running
> update.exe /x and will ask you where to extract these files too. You may
> find the version your after in there. Why are looking at replacing this
> file? This can really screw things up if you don't match the right verions
> of shell32.dll and explorer.exe.
>
> --
> Scott Harding
> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
>
> "Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I need a copy of shell32.dll Version 4.71 to use with a Windows NT 4.0
>> Terminal Server. Does anyone know where I can find such a beast?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Mike Schumann

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

I agree with Scott that this is a risky thing to do.
That said, have a look at Microsofts DLL database. You will find a
list of all versions of this dll, and in which OS / IE / SP they
are included.

Version 4.71 was only included in IE 4.01. If you run a higher
version of IE, you also should have a higher version of
shell32.dll (probably 4.72). I would *not* downgrade!

http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/fileversion/dllinfo.asp?
fr=0&sd=tech

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote on 01
sep 2004:

> I have run into a problem running Quickbooks 2004 on Windows NT
> 4.0. The latest QuickBooks patches results in an error that it
> can't find SHGetSpecialFolderPathA in Shell32.dll. Looking in
> google, there are numerous references to this type of error with
> other applications running on systems with Shell32.dll Version
> 4.0 loaded. Apparently, this is fixed if you have Version 4.71.
>
> However, the google searches indicate that this version was only
> installed on systems with IE 4.01. If you installed IE 5.0 or
> greater and never installed IE 4, Shell32.dll apparently never
> got updated.
>
> I really need to get this file upgraded to Version 4.71 so I can
> try to make Quickbooks run (Intuit is of no help, as the latest
> version of Quickbooks is not supported on NT anymore).
>
> Any help in finding the file, and instructions on how to try to
> upgrade would be very appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike Schumann
>
> "Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote
> in message news:u8%23SKXGkEHA.2812@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> You typically need to get the version that corresponds to
>> whatver service pack this machine is at. You ca extract the
>> files from the SP by running update.exe /x and will ask you
>> where to extract these files too. You may find the version your
>> after in there. Why are looking at replacing this file? This
>> can really screw things up if you don't match the right verions
>> of shell32.dll and explorer.exe.
>>
>> --
>> Scott Harding
>> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
>>
>> "Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote in
>> message news:Oy7PBzFkEHA.3520@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>>> I need a copy of shell32.dll Version 4.71 to use with a
>>> Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server. Does anyone know where I can
>>> find such a beast?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> --
>>> Mike Schumann

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Assuming that I can find a copy on one of my ancient CDs, how do I go about
upgrading the Ver 4.0 dll?

Thanks,
Mike Schumann

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
>I agree with Scott that this is a risky thing to do.
> That said, have a look at Microsofts DLL database. You will find a
> list of all versions of this dll, and in which OS / IE / SP they
> are included.
>
> Version 4.71 was only included in IE 4.01. If you run a higher
> version of IE, you also should have a higher version of
> shell32.dll (probably 4.72). I would *not* downgrade!
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/fileversion/dllinfo.asp?
> fr=0&sd=tech
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote on 01
> sep 2004:
>
>> I have run into a problem running Quickbooks 2004 on Windows NT
>> 4.0. The latest QuickBooks patches results in an error that it
>> can't find SHGetSpecialFolderPathA in Shell32.dll. Looking in
>> google, there are numerous references to this type of error with
>> other applications running on systems with Shell32.dll Version
>> 4.0 loaded. Apparently, this is fixed if you have Version 4.71.
>>
>> However, the google searches indicate that this version was only
>> installed on systems with IE 4.01. If you installed IE 5.0 or
>> greater and never installed IE 4, Shell32.dll apparently never
>> got updated.
>>
>> I really need to get this file upgraded to Version 4.71 so I can
>> try to make Quickbooks run (Intuit is of no help, as the latest
>> version of Quickbooks is not supported on NT anymore).
>>
>> Any help in finding the file, and instructions on how to try to
>> upgrade would be very appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike Schumann
>>
>> "Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote
>> in message news:u8%23SKXGkEHA.2812@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> You typically need to get the version that corresponds to
>>> whatver service pack this machine is at. You ca extract the
>>> files from the SP by running update.exe /x and will ask you
>>> where to extract these files too. You may find the version your
>>> after in there. Why are looking at replacing this file? This
>>> can really screw things up if you don't match the right verions
>>> of shell32.dll and explorer.exe.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Scott Harding
>>> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
>>> Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
>>>
>>> "Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote in
>>> message news:Oy7PBzFkEHA.3520@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

If I remember correctly if you login and then use task manager to end the
process of explorer.exe you may be able to replace this file when the shell
is stopped. If this file is in use you'll have to use a NTFS Dos disk to
replace the file or put the drive in another machine to replace the file.

--

> Assuming that I can find a copy on one of my ancient CDs, how do I go
about
> upgrading the Ver 4.0 dll?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike Schumann
>
> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> >I agree with Scott that this is a risky thing to do.
> > That said, have a look at Microsofts DLL database. You will find a
> > list of all versions of this dll, and in which OS / IE / SP they
> > are included.
> >
> > Version 4.71 was only included in IE 4.01. If you run a higher
> > version of IE, you also should have a higher version of
> > shell32.dll (probably 4.72). I would *not* downgrade!
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/fileversion/dllinfo.asp?
> > fr=0&sd=tech
> >
> > --
> > Vera Noest
> > MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> > http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> > --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
> >
> > "Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote on 01
> > sep 2004:
> >
> >> I have run into a problem running Quickbooks 2004 on Windows NT
> >> 4.0. The latest QuickBooks patches results in an error that it
> >> can't find SHGetSpecialFolderPathA in Shell32.dll. Looking in
> >> google, there are numerous references to this type of error with
> >> other applications running on systems with Shell32.dll Version
> >> 4.0 loaded. Apparently, this is fixed if you have Version 4.71.
> >>
> >> However, the google searches indicate that this version was only
> >> installed on systems with IE 4.01. If you installed IE 5.0 or
> >> greater and never installed IE 4, Shell32.dll apparently never
> >> got updated.
> >>
> >> I really need to get this file upgraded to Version 4.71 so I can
> >> try to make Quickbooks run (Intuit is of no help, as the latest
> >> version of Quickbooks is not supported on NT anymore).
> >>
> >> Any help in finding the file, and instructions on how to try to
> >> upgrade would be very appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Mike Schumann
> >>
> >> "Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote
> >> in message news:u8%23SKXGkEHA.2812@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

Just throwing in my two cents.
You may need to run REGSVR32 to register the DLL after
you've copied it.

Mike Schumann wrote:

> Assuming that I can find a copy on one of my ancient CDs, how do I go about
> upgrading the Ver 4.0 dll?

I've had just the same problem and could try different ways to upgrade
the shell as I have access to a PC with *two* runnig NT installations on
the same machine.

Where to download? - that's easy: A very recent version is included in
the the security update KB839645:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?productID=5381F02A-56FA-4BDB-8E2F-90161DFB1839&freetext=KB839645&DisplayLang=en

You may also find (older versions) in a file called Ie4shlnt.cab
included in full installation versions of IE4/5/6 greater than 4.0(0).
There are even full install versions of IE6SP1 that have this file
included.

The problem is the "update". V4.0.xxx versions of shell32.dll will not
be updated by the V4.7x.xxx versions an vice versa.
They are incompatible. Replacing this file would result in a broken
system. (You are lucky if you reach the logon screen). There are a lot
of dependencies to other system files and registry entries. So the only
way seems to be installing "Active desktop".

Warning: there are suggestions that you should use the ie4uinit.inf
script and then repair your IE installation. This resulted for me in a
BSOD at boot time (I could re-replace the shell32.dll an explorer.exe
from the second NT4 to repair this). Also the other inofficial ways to
upgrade to the IE4-shell may be risky or not working. Use the
MS-recommended way, if you really need to upgrade:

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 165695 - Donwgrade to IE4SP2 and than
re-upgrade.

It worked for me flawlessly except that users without admin rights could
not see or change their desktop unless I gave them admin rights for one
single logon.

Be aware that a lot of service packs and hotfixes may have to be
reapplied as IE4 will overwrite some newer files with older ones.

It might be pretty hard to find a full install version of IE4SP2 and I
would not recommend to use any older version as their are serious
problems reported and these files are unlikely to be updated by servie
packs / hot fixes (see above).

I found an US version at http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/4.01_SP2

You need the language version for your NT4. The version mentioned above
will not upgrade the shell e.g. on a German NT4 version. It will be
pretty hard to find a IE4SP2 non-English version to download.
And you will it hardly find on old CDs as IE5 came before IE4SP2.

I'm afraid that there is no easier way...

Good luck

Stephan