Internet Access Question for Police Department

I work for a local police department. We just got a new computer
running Microsoft Windows XP and we are not connected to a domain
(standalone computer connected to the internet). There are two users:
Administrator and User. I would like the "Administrator" account to
have full access to the internet and I would like to either disable
internet access or restrict internet access on the "User" account. Is
this possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

~Theodore

Theodore--

An easy way to get this info is to go to your run box, type in "helpctr.exe"
and type in "disable user account. You will find Help and Support in XP is
more robust than ever, and also has links to multiple MSKBs. This is not in
the way of a lecture at all, but just to turn you on to a good, underused
resource. I also included the Kelly's XP site below which is a great
resource.

To disable or activate a user account

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators
group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to
a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing
this procedure.

1.. Open Computer Management.
2.. In the console tree, click Users.
Where?

a.. Computer Management
b.. System Tools
c.. Local Users and Groups
d.. Users
3.. Right-click the user account you want to change, and then click
Properties.
4.. Do one of the following:
a.. To disable the selected user account, select the Account is disabled
check box.
b.. To activate the selected user account, clear the Account is disabled
check box.
Notes

a.. To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control
Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer
Management.
b.. A disabled account still exists, but the user is not permitted to log
on. It appears in the details pane, but the icon has an X in it.
c.. When a user account is activated, the user is permitted to log on
normally.
d.. The built-in Administrator account cannot be disabled.

These will help.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/lsm_disable_or_enable.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/lsm_disable_or_enable.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783&Product=winxp

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293834&Product=winxp

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q294887

http://tinyurl.com/68ytc

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm

Kelly's XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm

hth,

Chad Harris

"Theodore Frank" <tfrank@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
I work for a local police department. We just got a new computer
running Microsoft Windows XP and we are not connected to a domain
(standalone computer connected to the internet). There are two users:
Administrator and User. I would like the "Administrator" account to
have full access to the internet and I would like to either disable
internet access or restrict internet access on the "User" account. Is
this possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

~Theodore

begin 666 shortcutCold.gif
M1TE&.#EA"0`)`*(``(AZA68)>\#<P+_4OH" @ ```````````"P`````"0`)
B```#'$@$W"HCR##>B+*2.ZG"E+=EEQ9=0OI%J:J\< (`.P``
`
end

begin 666 plusCold.gif
M1TE&.#EA"0`)`)$``/___\;#QH" @ ```"P`````"0`)`$ "%)2/B3'=88(<
..$HI*9:QULWY-(-<5`#L`
`
end

begin 666 note.gif
M1TE&.#EA"@`*`+/_`(V,C?__S/_,`/\%!?]=7<# P-/3T\# P(6%A0("`@``
M`````````````````````"'Y! $```4`+ `````*``H`0 0H$,AI#AD@Z)U*
AR1HB)(8'<N,7&EJG;JV P4GZ&@D2(";<>HF@,.B)```[
`
end

Thank-you for your response, but I think you misunderstood what I
meant. I will try to re-explain:

I am working on a standalone Windows XP machine. There are two
(2) users on the system: 1. Administrator 2. User. I would like
the "Administrator" to have full access to the Internet. I would like
the "User" to have either no access to the internet or access to only
one particular site (the police department's website) and no other
internet access. Is this possible? I would like to thank everyone
in advance for your help.

~Theodore

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:33:04 -0400, "Chad Harris"
<ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q294887
>
>http://tinyurl.com/68ytc
>
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm
>
>Kelly's XP
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm
>
>hth,
>
>Chad Harris
>

>"Theodore Frank" <tfrank@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>I work for a local police department. We just got a new computer
>running Microsoft Windows XP and we are not connected to a domain
>(standalone computer connected to the internet). There are two users:
>Administrator and User. I would like the "Administrator" account to
>have full access to the internet and I would like to either disable
>internet access or restrict internet access on the "User" account. Is
>this possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello Theodore,
Rick "Nutcase" Rogers answered a similar question yesterday (or the day
before - whatever) The link he supplied might be what you're looking for:

http://users.westelcom.com/rogersr/xpsware.htm#3)

Hope it helps.

Colin.

"Theodore Frank" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q294887
> >
> >http://tinyurl.com/68ytc
> >
> >http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm
> >
> >Kelly's XP
> >http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm
> >
> >hth,
> >
> >Chad Harris
> >

> >"Theodore Frank" <tfrank@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
> >I work for a local police department. We just got a new computer
> >running Microsoft Windows XP and we are not connected to a domain
> >(standalone computer connected to the internet). There are two users:
> >Administrator and User. I would like the "Administrator" account to
> >have full access to the internet and I would like to either disable
> >internet access or restrict internet access on the "User" account. Is
> >this possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am in the same boat as Theodore and the last post answers only part of the
problem. I can disable folder access to Internet Explorer for the desired
users, but they can still access the Internet through other programs such as
Outlook or even typing a web address in My Computer.

Is there an effective way to disable Internet browsing for individual users
without cutting off email or any other application that has web browsing
capabilities?

Cave Force