Blue screen at logon

I get the BSOD when I boot my NT4 server. Stop:0000000a
and the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, then and address dump and
memory dump. The KB articles all say to install SP6 to
fix this. I did that, but the problem persists. This was
a reinstall of 4.0. I installed to FAT partition of 2gb
and formatted new over the old OS. This machine was a PDC
and I need it to be a member server now. That's why the
reinstall. Hope you can help.
Ed

Calvin

Hi Ed,

did you just 'install' over the top of the existing NT code, or did you wipe the
partition clean and start from scratch?

'Installing over the top' will cause the problems you describe. This comes about
because successive service packs have changed the structure of some critical
components of the Win NT system (eg: the SAM security hive) and the original NT4
files that you have now put back on the machine do not understand the altered
structures.

Unfortunately, unless you can fully restore from a backup, you may probably have
no option than a complete re-install to a clean partition :-(

If you can give more details of what you did I may be able to help more.

Calvin.

I didn't do away with the existing partition structure.
The original install had 4.0 with sp6. I just formatted
the FAT partition and reinstalled there. I did nothing to
the NTFS partition as I was trying to avoid a full
restore. Is that what I have to do? Also, I can't do a
restore of the system files as they were set up as a PDC
and I need a member server. Will a clean install on my
FAT partition cause problems if I then restore the NTFS
partition data from a tape backup?
Thanks,
Ed

Ok, now I did do away with the whole partition structure.
Then I reset partitions, formated only the FAT partition
and installed nt 4.0. Still got the BSOD on first boot
after install. KMODE_exception_not_handled this time.
Rebooted, but the nic is not active. I removed and
reinstalled. I chose intel pro instead of the default
8255. The adapter passed all the tests. I restarted and
finally got it to ping its own ip. Also pinged gateway,
dns, and did a name ping for domain. Now I will install
the SP6 and hope for the best. If that works without
BSOD, then I'll format the other partition to NTFS and try
to restore from tape. I'm going home now though. 9 hours
of this and I'm seeing double. I've installed NT on this
box at least a dozen times today. If I'm missing
something or doing something wrong, please tell me. I
have to get this up and running before Tuesday morning.

Calvin

Hi Ed,

It sounds like you are on the right track - my only advice would have been to
not attempt installing the networking during the initial NT setup - this often
tends to cause trouble. Normally what I do is run setup, when you get to network
install section select 'not connected to a network' and allow setup to complete,
then add networking afterwards, but before you run the service pack.

Sounds like it is coming along OK though. Your restore of data to the NTFS
partition shouldn't give you any trouble. Any apps on the machine will of course
require re-installation, since the complete NT4 reload has reset your registry,
which means it has lost all the application specific stuff :-(

Calvin.

Hi Calvin,
Thanks for your help. I have another server that I have
to reinstall too, so the advice about networking will
still help. I knew I was going to have to reinstall all
the apps on this machine, which was why I tried everything
else I could think of before deciding to reinstall NT.

When I was taking classes for win2k, they didn't tell me
how many problems there are when you move from NT to 2k.
I had NT servers and 2k workstations for 3 years with no
problems, but when I brought a new 2k server online, I
didn't do enough homework. I've learned a lot the hard
way the last 3 weeks. I'd be in bed sleeping right now if
I'd planned this out better.

Thanks again for taking the time to post. I really
appreciate your advice.
Ed

Calvin

Hi Ed,

I'm glad you are making progress - it is a pity that (AS USUAL) Microsoft are
far more interested in market spin and attempting to tell everyone how wonderful
their products are, instead of being truthful upfront and warning you of the
pitfalls and numerous shortcomings.

It always is a steep learning curve bringing a new system online - even
re-installing an existing (and well understood) OS like NT4 on new (more recent)
hardware seems to open a can of worms :-(

All the best.

Calvin.