Sign in with
Your question

Unbelievable Computer trouble. You wont believe it seriously

Last response: in Systems
December 31, 2005 7:39:26 AM

Hey guys. Ok I think I am cursed. I've been trying my hand at my first dual core system, but I am no where near being an amature. But for some reason i've been having the worst string of luck ever.

I started off with an Asus A8N-SLI Premium and a 3800+ x2, Ram is 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ Gold, PSU is a Coolmax 650watt, and the GFX is a 7800GT. I put the whole thing together, and on first power on, I get no visual, and no post. Weird. So I do a bare run, motherboard out of the case, with just CPU 1 stick RAM and GFX plugged in. Still nothing, just sits running with all leds on and fans spinning. No post beep. So I went and purchesed a new mobo and CPU. I bought a Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe and another 3800+ x2. I get home, and tried the new CPU first with all the same components as before, same problem, then tried the new MOBO, same problem, then tried them both, same problem.

So now im almost sure it isnt my CPU or MOBO. So I go back to the store, and I buy an Antec 2.0 PSU and 1GB DDR pc3200 Kingston, and a PCI Diagnostic Card so I can get the post code. So I get home and I try every single combination I could with all the parts I had, and all I could get from the PCI diagnostic card is a "CPU Fail" error. Now im frusterated as hell. So I went back to the store, and I bought a 3800+ 64 socket 939. I take it home, and brand new out of the box I get a CPU fail on both motherboards.

I went back to the store and returnd the extra mother board, both CPU's, the ram, and the PSU, and I buy an Abit Fatl1ty A8N-SLI and a Brand new 3800+ x2. I get home, put it all together, and I get "failed CPU" BUT the funny thing is, the fatl1ty board has the uGuru chip that shows you its OWN post code, and it was telling me that the POST voltage checks were ok, it was just failing to intialize the BIOS. I thought it was quite intresting. So I went back to the store and bought a 3500+ 64 socket 939 and some corsair value select pc2100, and another GFX card, a 6600GT PCI-E. Now, this is as far as I've been able to get. With the 3500+ in, and with No ram, or the corsair ram, and the 6600GT It will initialize the bios, but it will fail the DMA Channel 1 test. But if I stick the 7800GT in there, it will fail to start the BIOS at all.

I am so frusterated, and none of my friends know what the hell's going on. Im not an amature, this is not the first time i've built a computer, and the only technology im handling that i've never touched is the Dual core CPU's, but that dosent explain why the single core cpu's are still not working. I've been working at this thing for almost 3 days now, trying to make some head way. How does the mother board fail a DMA test anyway? Im SO lost. If anyone has any advice, i'd sure love to hear it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Help, thanks.
December 31, 2005 8:42:11 AM

Sounds as crazy as your story but have you tried a different mouse and keyboard? Instead of USB try PS2 or viceversa. Are you usng a powestrip if so try plugging into the wall(copleteley different socket). Did you use the same CPU cooler on all your test? Motherboard maybee not getting a RPM signal from the cooler fan. These are just shots in the dark but after what you have just eplained sometimes it is the simplest thing.

Good luck
December 31, 2005 10:01:22 AM

I had massive problems on my build, tried every thing then it turned out that it was because i had a wireless keyboard plugged in and the motherboard did not like it. I was gutted and happy at the same time when I finaly found the problem.
Related resources
December 31, 2005 4:42:46 PM

To be completely honest I havent even tried plugging prehiprials in. I do know that the CPU fan is ok, because the uGuru thing tells me my fan rpm's. I'll try plugging in a mouse and keyboard, but I don't see where it'll help with a faild DMA channel test. Who know, im willing to soak all the parts in gasoline and lite them on fire at this point. Anything to get them to work. Anything else?
December 31, 2005 5:38:53 PM

do you have an 8-pin (EATX12V) power lead? dual processors must have it. My enermax 620w liberty came w/ it as my P5n32-sli had the pin receptacle in the upper corner near the cpu. SLI boards are real happy with the 4-pin EZ-PLUG powered up but this is more for SLI performance/stability. The 8-pin is a must for Dual's tho.
December 31, 2005 5:41:48 PM

wait what!? an 8pin? I only had the 4 pin on all 3 motherboards, all 3 of which say they are dual core compatable. Can you explain in better detail what 8 pin your talking about cause I dont think I understand you right.
December 31, 2005 5:48:19 PM

This is going to sound dumb

I find that when everything is going wrong: don't tell yourself that YOU are right.

Calm down, and read every page of every manual of every piece of hardware you get, sometimes some hardware likes to fight with other pieces. So just do it all by the book, and keep everything on the anti static bags they came in.

Also, when you are pissed off nothing ever works on a PC so leave it for a day and convince yourself how completely unimportant it is to you, so you don't get angry when it does not work.

Good luck, I hate it when things don't work, and keep the PC away from any hammers or balconies.
December 31, 2005 6:01:28 PM

Do you happen to live in or near Manhatten? If so, it's your power company causing you trouble. Longshot but I work at a tech support callcenter and 3 people over there have told me that the news last night said something about every other computer in the area being killed from the crapy power in the area yesterday.
December 31, 2005 6:02:31 PM

lol your right, im obviously wrong some where. Hmmmmm. Im still curious to see an example of this 8 pin EATX.
December 31, 2005 6:12:01 PM

No I live as far away as possible, Southern California =P
December 31, 2005 6:29:08 PM

Your eco-friendly AMD board mught only need a 4-pin unlike my P board. It still needs to specifically get power to this. Look at (as Rabidpeanut advises) the manual, chapter 2, 2-26 for the pic. Hope this helps. I had a buddy not power up his hungry P840 & sorta sounds like his issue.
December 31, 2005 11:13:31 PM

Ok so I tried the ect 4 pin connector and I get no change on either board weather its in or out of the case.
January 1, 2006 1:05:25 AM

I've decided to just return everything, and just start out fresh. I can get some of the things cheaper now anyway =P thanks for all your advice, i'll post back if Im having more problems when I try again.
January 1, 2006 3:05:24 PM

It would have cost you way less to simply take the computer to the store and have them have a look at it... then after, you'll hsk them what was wrong.. and you'll know what to do and not to do next time ..
January 1, 2006 5:05:50 PM

Your problem is you have to much money and no brains.

Sounds just like the guy in the BMW that drives 100 miles an hour in the 40 then puts his right turn signal on and then slams the breaks on and turns left across 2 lanes at a busy intersection full of school children at lunch time.

Dude by a DEL they are fool proof.
January 1, 2006 7:06:53 PM

At least you are being nice about his problems.
January 1, 2006 8:14:17 PM

I did offer for him to drop 3 grand on a high end Dell that would only provide a pissy 128MB graphics card with only 512 Ram on an over powered 3.0 GHz Intel CPU (outdated) with an overkill 200 Gig standard IDE hard drive lucky if it's a 7200 rpm and automaticaly XP installed DELL System software configured to run every peice of crap spyware back door trojan and remote connection hacking tool on the planet.

Ok that was cruel to Dell but just read their ads in the newspaper its not far off the mark they sell total junk for way to much money I have spare parts in boxes with more power then they sell for that kind of cash.

He needs to keep working on his current project enough Monkeys on typewriters will eventually write a Novel.

shit I forgot what I was doing on the P.C when this post came into my Email....damn Monkey syndrome :roll:
January 2, 2006 4:28:57 PM

Quote:
This is going to sound dumb

I find that when everything is going wrong: don't tell yourself that YOU are right.

Calm down, and read every page of every manual of every piece of hardware you get, sometimes some hardware likes to fight with other pieces. So just do it all by the book, and keep everything on the anti static bags they came in.

Also, when you are pissed off nothing ever works on a PC so leave it for a day and convince yourself how completely unimportant it is to you, so you don't get angry when it does not work.

Good luck, I hate it when things don't work, and keep the PC away from any hammers or balconies.

I have to agree with Rabidpeanut here. Knowing everything about your new hardware is a must before a build. On that note, I have read that some SLI mobos are particular about which PCIe slot you use if you are running a single graphics card.

Fritz
January 5, 2006 12:21:42 AM

Quote:
Your problem is you have to much money and no brains.

Sounds just like the guy in the BMW that drives 100 miles an hour in the 40 then puts his right turn signal on and then slams the breaks on and turns left across 2 lanes at a busy intersection full of school children at lunch time.

Dude by a DEL they are fool proof.

Wow, you can think your super smart all you want, but did you ever think I was actually going to keep all that shit? No, I returned every single piece of hardware I bought, got a complete refund, and Im starting over. Im not a novice PC builder. I dont have any vocational training, but i've been doing it as a hobby for the past 6 years. The only reason I came and posted on forums, was because I was obviously overlooking something that I could not for the life of me figure out, Not get flamed by poor american trash, that thinks having money in the bank is "too much money." Get a fucking clue bro.

Maybe if you used your own Fucking brains and read my very last post about returning everything, you wouldnt be looking so retarded right now.
January 5, 2006 12:25:50 AM

Quote:

I have to agree with Rabidpeanut here. Knowing everything about your new hardware is a must before a build. On that note, I have read that some SLI mobos are particular about which PCIe slot you use if you are running a single graphics card.

Fritz

As I didnt clearly mentioned befor in my original post Fritz, I've used every single piece of this system in a previous build, except the Dual Core CPU. All Asus Nforce 4 Boards running SLI use the top slot as the Primary slot, when running in single VGA mode.
January 5, 2006 9:31:09 AM

You returned ALL that stuff and got a FULL refund? And now the store has to sell the stuff USED, loose PROFIT, and make up for it by charging everyone else MORE? And you're calling someone else trash?

I agree that he was being excessively mean, but then again, after reading what you said, I'm starting to feel a little mean myself!
January 5, 2006 10:17:25 AM

Whoa there cowboys...

If you want a good place for a flame go to www.duckandcover.cx and sign up, but keep it in the wasteland. And whatever you do, never go into the wasteland while sensitive viewers are around.
January 5, 2006 10:22:28 AM

Maybe you should try an older CPU first. I had some problems a while back while putting a mobile CPU into a desktop and not having the MoBo recognize it and consequently not boot, although the fans and other stuff would run as in your case. I used a friend's CPU to boot, then updated the BIOS and set the FSB to the desired frequency etc..... Then, viola, it worked!

Or maybe you really ARE cursed and would be better off with a reassuringly-expensive Mac.

Cheers!
January 5, 2006 4:40:35 PM

Crash, I can justify me returning all that stuff. I got 90% of it at Fry's Electronics, which is you don't live on the west coast, is this rediculously large electronics store. I use to work there. Actually it was more along the lines of slave labor, but yeah the paychecks were so small that I ended up being stuck there, I couldnt leave with out going into massive debt. It was a very dark time in my life. Then they fired me, because everyone there sucks dick to get a promotion and then they still have grudges for thing you said or did 8 months before, and Fire you for it. Any chance I have to stick it to them, im all for it =)

Haha Rapid i've never been to that forum is it good? I should check it out, my flameing skills need polishing =P

Skenny, I thought of that, and although I did try a 3500+ I could have tried a lower one. I still really think it was the PSU that fried EVERYthing so, yeah.

Good news tho, my XFX 7800GT got here today =)
January 5, 2006 5:35:24 PM

Oh i am such a tosser!
Some motherboards need bios updates to run new chips.

STUPID STUPID STUPId

sorry that i did not bring it up earlier, i found this out when i was hypnotised by an article about an fx57.
January 5, 2006 5:37:52 PM

Hey eeBs, wow that sucks... I haven't had experience with dual core systems, but I thought I would post and maybe offer some less thought of answers that I have come across or at least offer my sympathy. I'd also like to say that I believe that you have computer building experience and I hope nothing I said will be taken as demeaning. I'm not sure what I think the problem is, but take it from the top. Don't assume that its the MB or CPU, or whatever. You have to keep in mind things like maybe you keep putting the system speaker on backwards(I admit I did that myself it fried the speaker but anway..), make sure all the jumpers are down and in the right spot on the board...blah blah blah. Other then that, I've seen weird problems relating to grounding issues. Even when the case touched the MB improperly and causes the MB to burn out, or act weird. I'd assume its not the RAM, but what about video card? That could cause it, pretty sure of it... I think you can boot without the vid card just to see if you get beeps from the system speaker... make sure that the processor is all the way down on the board, hmm... I wouldn't think it would be the power supply, because without peripherals you should be able to get it to boot with almost any PS. Definitely check the keyboard, use a normal PS2 keyboard, not a USB if you can. Its not impossible that if you are getting parts from the same place that perhaps several pieces of equipment were faulty from the get go and since were manufactured in order ended up to the same place... yeah I'm reaching but hmm... other then that don't plug in USB headers or whatever for the case, unplug everything but the power button, if that doesn't work switch the reset with the power plug so the reset would turn it on... I know I'm not talking about the diagnostics you got from the card, its just honestly that my experience is not using them. Also just because this is so weird I wouldn't really trust it, it would definitely be worth replacing the cpu fan, especially if its the same one you used from the beginning. Ok one more thing. I know I said I didn't think it could be the PS, but if its a really cheap one or just otherwise faulty... you never know. Also I'm sure you know this already but clear the CMOS. Well I hope this post was worth it for at least saying I'm sorry you are having such weird problems.
Good luck

PS is it possible that the MB won't run the CPU before an update? that happened to me once even though a company promised to have it updated...
January 5, 2006 5:57:32 PM

Your problem sounds like all your parts are broken. And w/ my experience w/ Frys, thats not uncommon. Frys has great prices, but I typically find that I have to return the same thing 3x before I get a good one. Alot of people agree w/ me in S. Cal here. But one of my friends never has any problems. Shrug.

The last straw was when I bought some RAM and had to return it 3x. 3rd time they told me I had the wrong serial number and I was trying to return something I didn't buy. I got the manager and had him lookup the history on the part. It was literally 20 people had had it before me. I hate to say it, but some idiot probably fried the chip. And Fry's doesn't check. They say they do, but I really doubt it. They gave me a refund after they saw that.
I decided to buy crucial, and my computer worked like a charm.

So I'd guess that one of your parts got messed up somehow. Mebbe your CPU was fried by the last person who got it. Or the mboard's BIOS was killed by the 3rd person who got it. Call it bad luck or whatever. Go to a local hole-in-the-wall comptuer store or go newegg. These days I never buy anything from Fry's unless its DVDs or batteries or software. Those take a real effort to screw up.
January 5, 2006 7:20:11 PM

AMEN! BTW-That dudes from Canada and is not American. If he was a true American, he wouldn't bash you in the forums. As far as your problem goes, it really sounds to me like the CPU fan sensor either on the boards themselves or something. I know if you connect a cooler to the fan plug from PSU, the board will not detect a CPU fan. That is if your using the coolers supplied fan control like my zalman cooler came with. It has to be something simple. Just keep plugging away at it and good luck to you.
January 6, 2006 7:52:05 PM

Well, I concur with you about having to return stuff at Fry's alot. Like I mentioned, I worked there lol. I honestly dont know what the problem was. It could be so many undectedable things, that I jsut stoped thinking about, I was seriously looseing sleep lol. But yeah I am going with a 4000+ single core system this time anyway, and I returned that cheeps $30 and got the one I really wanted, the Koolance moded Lian-Li, the one with the INOS water cooling built into it, let me tell you guys, it came to day, and its a friggen sexy piece of work. Anyway the rest of the parst should be here monday, so we start over from ground zero then. Thanks for your help guys, i'll definatly be sticking around.
!