1 GB + 2 X 512 MB = 1.5GB ??

neilh

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2004
I have a media center 2005 ( Win XP Pro - SP2) HP Pavilion with an Athlon 64 AMD 3500+ cpu. It came with 2 X 512 MB SDRAM. Yesterday I added a Centon 1.0 GB module 1GBPC3200 from Compusa. I checked the Centon site and that was the module recommended for my pc (HP Pavilion Media Center m7050e ). Unfortunately the pc (both system info from the control panel and the startup window) show that this new 1GB module only adds 512 MB. No matter how I arrange the three modules in the slots I get a total of 1.5 GB. Depending on the slot position either 512 MB is subtracted from the 1024 module or one of the 512 MB modules is indicated as not being installed. I called HP and of course their answer was that any memory not supplied by them at a significant markup above retail was a possible danger and might void the warranty and no support was forthcoming. My next step is the Centon Tech Support, but the site was down yesterday (it's back up today) and I got no answer from the 800 number. Has anyone seen this kind of behavior before. The DIMM is a 16 chip unit. I read something about density in the FAQs, but I just bought the machine in July so suspect that the chipsets should be the same basic density. The patterns of the slot vs. disappearing 512 MB are shown below.

slot 1 1024, slots 2,3,4 empty shows 1024 MB. 1024+0+0+0

slot 1 1024, slot 2 512, slots 3,4 empty shows 1024 MB. 512+512+0+0

slot 1 512, slot 2 1024, slots 3,4 empty shows 1024 MB. 512+512+0+0

slot 1 512, slot 2 512, slot 3 1024, slot 4 empty shows 1536 MB. 512+0+1024+0

slot 1 512, slot2 512, slots 3,4 empty shows 1024MB, 512+512+0+0

slot 1 1024, slot 2 empty, slot 3 512, slot 4 512 shows 1536 MB. 1024+0+512+0

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any ideas why this config works this way and what I need to do to upgrade the pc to at least 2.0 GB.

Neil

slot 1 512, slot 2 512, slot 3, 4 empty shows 1024 512 + 512 + 0 + 0

neilh

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2004
Zakk,

I get auto updates from HP and I guess I am assuming that should have taken care of any necessary updates, but will take a look to see what I have to do to get a bios update. I just started reading some threads on high vs. low density mem modules and am also wondering about that. Hopefully Centon can answer that question.

Thanks,
Neil

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
"...HP Pavilion..."

There's your problem right there (kidding). Seriously, like I said before, brand-name PC's are built for SPECIFIC configurations so more often than not, every possible place they can cut a corner they will. For example, your power supply probably cannot handle an upgraded cpu even though your mobo socket can. In this case the mobo has stripped functionality as far as RAM detection. I have an old NEC PC that does the same thing--except on mine anything over 128MB will only be seen as 128MB. A future BIOS update is all you can hope for, otherwise return your 1GB stick for a 512MB instead.

neilh

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2004
It's a Pavilion Media Center m7050e Photosmart PC. There is another number PX154AV called the System or Product number.

neilh

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2004
Yeah. I never really like HP before, but up until this upgrade, it had performed pretty well. I am not a gamer, but the AMD cpu seems pretty fast and I didn't have a lot of problems with it. There is also a thread on another forum about the DIMM density. I am still trying to digest all of that.
Thanks for the tip.
Neil

neilh

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2004
Thanks Zakk. I haven't downloaded yet, but my bios is presently 3.11. I'll let you know if that helps. I finally got somebody knowledgeable from HP Tech Support and they mentioned that the memory was configured for dual channel so I needed another 1024 MB module in an adjacent socket. Almost sounds like RAMBUS, but it is definitely not. Didn't know there was that kind of config for DDR.

Zakk

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2004
yes, in fact i was goin to sugest u buy a pair of 512mb modules which could solve the problem, but on other mainboards you can still have more modules of memory they will just work as single channel instead of dual channel, ur better off with dual channel since u get better performance.

but give the bios update a go as it could still solve your problem, or any other issues that may exist and you haven't realised about.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
...Just to be clear, HP is no worse than the others when it comes to cutting corners. Just didn't want you to think HP is any worse than Dell or Sony...though Dell has a better extended warrenty.

neilh

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2004
I have had good and bad experiences with all three. Sony was probably the least able to answer questions about their camera. Dell has a real mixed bag and it appears HP does too. Apparently yesterday when I was questioning the HP rep about adding additional memory, I was told that my warranty would be void if I did. Today I got a questionairre and it said " Your warranty is no longer valid. Is that true?" Really??? I answered no. That was the only question on the questionairre. Then I got that cleared up on the phone ( I hope) and then luckily got transferred to someone on the line who knew something and could answer my question. Phewww!!!! It would be funny if it didn't take so much time to cut through the chaff.

fantom4

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
Its all down to banks.
memory controllers work using banks
dimm one will use one bank etc etc, if your memory has chips on both sides then it will use two of the banks in one dimm slot that the controller has.
You may have 4 dimm slot but from what you are saying you only have 4 banks.
one or more of your dimms are double sided. chips on both sides.

I had one motherboard with 3 slots for dimms but only had 4 banks. which in turn left me buying single sided memory or use only two double sided dimms which would in turn use all four banks. so only two slots in use.

dual channel memory does not run much faster than single channel. plus it depends on what you are running on the pc if you run new games that need as much speed as possible then it helps. but if just using internet etc then not needed. From what I have read somewhere you get about a 30% speed upgrade, which is not much for the memory.

neilh

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2004
Well. Adding the second GB SDRAM made all memory visible. I now have a total of 3 GB. I don't do gaming, but I work with Photoshop CS2 a lot and do some video editing. I believe that the 3 GB will help all of that and so will any speed increase with the rendering. I just hadn't expected to buy the second GB at this time. And I have learned a little more about what's under the hood and have a lot more skill in popping the hood up. Thanks to all for the suggestions, help, and moral support.
Neil

neilh

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2004
Thanks for the offer, but I think I will see how much faster this thing is then make my decision about getting rid of RAM that I don't need. Unless, of course, I get used to the extra speed. :) .

TRENDING THREADS