Invalid Boot Ini File

Hi:

A friend of mine asked me to look at her daughter's computer. (She uses it
in college) According to what I was told, it was running slow; had all
sorts of problems; and, finally, upon initial booting, this message
appeared: Invalid boot ini file. Booting from c:\winnt\. Ndetect failed.
I just set it up here and got the same message.

I was able to use an emergency WinME startup disk and go to DOS and check
the C drive. Files ARE present under C:\winnt. Though they appear to be
all there, obviously, something is wrong.

There is no WinNT disk in her possession. I could not "see" any hidden
partitions containing WinNT original operating system to either re-install
or repair.

It's a competent computer, has an AMD Duron, 60 gig HD, 500 MB RAM.

Does WinNT create backup boot records and store them within itself that I
might copy a past-good-boot record and overwrite the corrupted record so
this machine will boot? Or, am I way off base in my limited WinNT thinking?

Any ideas/help will be deeply appreciated

Thank you.
10 answers Last reply
More about invalid boot file
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Invalid boot.ini means it is missing or corrupt.
    Usually means Ntdetect.com file is missing or damaged.

    You mentioned no Windows NT CD-Rom. Do you have a Windows 2000 or Windows XP
    CD-Rom?

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Scribe" wrote:
    | Hi:
    |
    | A friend of mine asked me to look at her daughter's computer. (She uses
    it
    | in college) According to what I was told, it was running slow; had all
    | sorts of problems; and, finally, upon initial booting, this message
    | appeared: Invalid boot ini file. Booting from c:\winnt\. Ndetect
    failed.
    | I just set it up here and got the same message.
    |
    | I was able to use an emergency WinME startup disk and go to DOS and check
    | the C drive. Files ARE present under C:\winnt. Though they appear to be
    | all there, obviously, something is wrong.
    |
    | There is no WinNT disk in her possession. I could not "see" any hidden
    | partitions containing WinNT original operating system to either re-install
    | or repair.
    |
    | It's a competent computer, has an AMD Duron, 60 gig HD, 500 MB RAM.
    |
    | Does WinNT create backup boot records and store them within itself that I
    | might copy a past-good-boot record and overwrite the corrupted record so
    | this machine will boot? Or, am I way off base in my limited WinNT
    thinking?

    | Any ideas/help will be deeply appreciated
    |
    | Thank you.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Dave:

    Thanks for your response.

    I have two Windows XP OEM versions: One from Gateway; one from Dell.

    Shall await your reply.

    Again, Thank you.

    Ernie

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > Invalid boot.ini means it is missing or corrupt.
    > Usually means Ntdetect.com file is missing or damaged.
    >
    > You mentioned no Windows NT CD-Rom. Do you have a Windows 2000 or Windows
    XP
    > CD-Rom?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Scribe" wrote:
    > | Hi:
    > |
    > | A friend of mine asked me to look at her daughter's computer. (She uses
    > it
    > | in college) According to what I was told, it was running slow; had all
    > | sorts of problems; and, finally, upon initial booting, this message
    > | appeared: Invalid boot ini file. Booting from c:\winnt\. Ndetect
    > failed.
    > | I just set it up here and got the same message.
    > |
    > | I was able to use an emergency WinME startup disk and go to DOS and
    check
    > | the C drive. Files ARE present under C:\winnt. Though they appear to
    be
    > | all there, obviously, something is wrong.
    > |
    > | There is no WinNT disk in her possession. I could not "see" any hidden
    > | partitions containing WinNT original operating system to either
    re-install
    > | or repair.
    > |
    > | It's a competent computer, has an AMD Duron, 60 gig HD, 500 MB RAM.
    > |
    > | Does WinNT create backup boot records and store them within itself that
    > | might copy a past-good-boot record and overwrite the corrupted record so
    > | this machine will boot? Or, am I way off base in my limited WinNT
    > thinking?
    > |
    > | Any ideas/help will be deeply appreciated
    > |
    > | Thank you.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Try creating a boot disk. For the floppy to successfully boot Windows XP the
    disk must contain the "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows XP
    machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets written to the floppy),
    and copy Windows XP versions of ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it.
    (note: these files are backward compatible so as to also start Windows
    NT/2000) Edit the boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the machine you
    wish to boot. Below is an example of boot.ini. The default is to start the
    operating system located on the first partition of the primary or first
    drive (drive0). Then drive0 partition 2 and so on. If you can get the
    operating system to start then you can copy the three files from the floppy
    to the root of the system partition (usually C:\)

    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT"
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT"
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT"
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT"

    --

    "Scribe" wrote:
    | Dave:
    |
    | Thanks for your response.
    |
    | I have two Windows XP OEM versions: One from Gateway; one from Dell.
    |
    | Shall await your reply.
    |
    | Again, Thank you.
    |
    | Ernie
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Fully Formatted diskette under Win XP. Copied the three files to it, after
    editing the boot.ini file exactly as you indicated using notepad.

    Went to the errant machine of my friend; inserted the diskette; started it
    up; and got this message:

    "Invalid boot ini file.
    "Windows is starting: c:\windows."

    After a long hiatus, received this message:

    "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <windows root>\system 32\hall.dll
    Please reinstall a copy of the above file."

    Good grief.

    Searched for "Hall.dll" (without quotes) on both my Win XP machines, to no
    avail. (Using "search hidden files and folders.")

    At this point, do you think it's hopeless for me to try further? I don't
    want to waste any more of your time, either.

    Let me know.

    And, again, thank you.

    > Try creating a boot disk. For the floppy to successfully boot Windows XP
    the
    > disk must contain the "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows XP
    > machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets written to the
    floppy),
    > and copy Windows XP versions of ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it.
    > (note: these files are backward compatible so as to also start Windows
    > NT/2000) Edit the boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the machine
    you
    > wish to boot. Below is an example of boot.ini. The default is to start the
    > operating system located on the first partition of the primary or first
    > drive (drive0). Then drive0 partition 2 and so on. If you can get the
    > operating system to start then you can copy the three files from the
    floppy
    > to the root of the system partition (usually C:\)
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=10
    > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT"
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT"
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT"
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT"
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Scribe" wrote:
    > | Dave:
    > |
    > | Thanks for your response.
    > |
    > | I have two Windows XP OEM versions: One from Gateway; one from Dell.
    > |
    > | Shall await your reply.
    > |
    > | Again, Thank you.
    > |
    > | Ernie

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Ok, I guess I assumed Windows NT 4.0 as the operating system. If so then
    boot.ini appears to be incorrect as it appears to be pointing to \windows
    instead of \winnt

    Can you post the drive and partition details? Also post the contents of
    boot.ini

    --

    "Scribe" wrote:
    | Fully Formatted diskette under Win XP. Copied the three files to it,
    after
    | editing the boot.ini file exactly as you indicated using notepad.
    |
    | Went to the errant machine of my friend; inserted the diskette; started it
    | up; and got this message:
    |
    | "Invalid boot ini file.
    | "Windows is starting: c:\windows."
    |
    | After a long hiatus, received this message:
    |
    | "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    | <windows root>\system 32\hall.dll
    | Please reinstall a copy of the above file."
    |
    | Good grief.
    |
    | Searched for "Hall.dll" (without quotes) on both my Win XP machines, to no
    | avail. (Using "search hidden files and folders.")
    |
    | At this point, do you think it's hopeless for me to try further? I don't
    | want to waste any more of your time, either.
    |
    | Let me know.
    |
    | And, again, thank you.
    |
    | Ernie
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Dave:

    The file name is: Hal.dll, not hall.dll.

    Sorry.

    "Scribe" <dntsaycant@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Fully Formatted diskette under Win XP. Copied the three files to it,
    after
    > editing the boot.ini file exactly as you indicated using notepad.
    >
    > Went to the errant machine of my friend; inserted the diskette; started it
    > up; and got this message:
    >
    > "Invalid boot ini file.
    > "Windows is starting: c:\windows."
    >
    > After a long hiatus, received this message:
    >
    > "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    > <windows root>\system 32\hall.dll
    > Please reinstall a copy of the above file."
    >
    > Good grief.
    >
    > Searched for "Hall.dll" (without quotes) on both my Win XP machines, to no
    > avail. (Using "search hidden files and folders.")
    >
    > At this point, do you think it's hopeless for me to try further? I don't
    > want to waste any more of your time, either.
    >
    > Let me know.
    >
    > And, again, thank you.
    >
    > Ernie
    >

    > "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > > Try creating a boot disk. For the floppy to successfully boot Windows XP
    > the
    > > disk must contain the "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows
    XP
    > > machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets written to the
    > floppy),
    > > and copy Windows XP versions of ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it.
    > > (note: these files are backward compatible so as to also start Windows
    > > NT/2000) Edit the boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the machine
    > you
    > > wish to boot. Below is an example of boot.ini. The default is to start
    the
    > > operating system located on the first partition of the primary or first
    > > drive (drive0). Then drive0 partition 2 and so on. If you can get the
    > > operating system to start then you can copy the three files from the
    > floppy
    > > to the root of the system partition (usually C:\)
    > >
    > > [boot loader]
    > > timeout=10
    > > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    > > [operating systems]
    > > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT"
    > > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT"
    > > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT"
    > > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT"
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    > >
    > > "Scribe" wrote:
    > > | Dave:
    > > |
    > > | Thanks for your response.
    > > |
    > > | I have two Windows XP OEM versions: One from Gateway; one from Dell.
    > > |
    > > | Shall await your reply.
    > > |
    > > | Again, Thank you.
    > > |
    > > | Ernie

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    You're going to smile at this one.

    Booted in with WinME emergency disk. When I changed directory to C drive
    and typed "dir /p", all files on c drive are now not visible. "Volume has
    no label" and then it indicates amount of space. But, that's all.

    I used F-disk to view partitions, there are two: C and D. C is active and
    shows 30% usage, and D shows 40% usage.

    Go figure.

    Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to advise my friend to give it back
    to her daughter; take it to the I.T. people at her school; and have them
    reinstall O.S. for her. They will charge her for it, but at least her
    machine will be usable for her last year of college. (It's not as if her
    mother can't afford it)

    Thank you, Dave, for your time and help. It truly is much appreciated.

    I wish you well,

    > Ok, I guess I assumed Windows NT 4.0 as the operating system. If so then
    > boot.ini appears to be incorrect as it appears to be pointing to \windows
    > instead of \winnt
    >
    > Can you post the drive and partition details? Also post the contents of
    > boot.ini
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Scribe" wrote:
    > | Fully Formatted diskette under Win XP. Copied the three files to it,
    > after
    > | editing the boot.ini file exactly as you indicated using notepad.
    > |
    > | Went to the errant machine of my friend; inserted the diskette; started
    it
    > | up; and got this message:
    > |
    > | "Invalid boot ini file.
    > | "Windows is starting: c:\windows."
    > |
    > | After a long hiatus, received this message:
    > |
    > | "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
    corrupt:
    > | <windows root>\system 32\hall.dll
    > | Please reinstall a copy of the above file."
    > |
    > | Good grief.
    > |
    > | Searched for "Hall.dll" (without quotes) on both my Win XP machines, to
    no
    > | avail. (Using "search hidden files and folders.")
    > |
    > | At this point, do you think it's hopeless for me to try further? I
    don't
    > | want to waste any more of your time, either.
    > |
    > | Let me know.
    > |
    > | And, again, thank you.
    > |
    > | Ernie

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    If the drives are formatted NTFS then you wouldn't be able to find anything
    from a win9x boot.

    --

    "Scribe" wrote:
    | You're going to smile at this one.
    |
    | Booted in with WinME emergency disk. When I changed directory to C drive
    | and typed "dir /p", all files on c drive are now not visible. "Volume
    has
    | no label" and then it indicates amount of space. But, that's all.
    |
    | I used F-disk to view partitions, there are two: C and D. C is active
    and
    | shows 30% usage, and D shows 40% usage.
    |
    | Go figure.
    |
    | Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to advise my friend to give it
    back
    | to her daughter; take it to the I.T. people at her school; and have them
    | reinstall O.S. for her. They will charge her for it, but at least her
    | machine will be usable for her last year of college. (It's not as if her
    | mother can't afford it)
    |
    | Thank you, Dave, for your time and help. It truly is much appreciated.
    |
    | I wish you well,
    |
    | Ernie
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Dave:

    No, it wasn't NTFS. It's FAT 32.

    Again, thanks for all your assistance.

    mE

    > If the drives are formatted NTFS then you wouldn't be able to find
    anything
    > from a win9x boot.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Scribe" wrote:
    > | You're going to smile at this one.
    > |
    > | Booted in with WinME emergency disk. When I changed directory to C
    drive
    > | and typed "dir /p", all files on c drive are now not visible. "Volume
    > has
    > | no label" and then it indicates amount of space. But, that's all.
    > |
    > | I used F-disk to view partitions, there are two: C and D. C is active
    > and
    > | shows 30% usage, and D shows 40% usage.
    > |
    > | Go figure.
    > |
    > | Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to advise my friend to give it
    > back
    > | to her daughter; take it to the I.T. people at her school; and have them
    > | reinstall O.S. for her. They will charge her for it, but at least her
    > | machine will be usable for her last year of college. (It's not as if
    her
    > | mother can't afford it)
    > |
    > | Thank you, Dave, for your time and help. It truly is much appreciated.
    > |
    > | I wish you well,
    > |
    > | Ernie

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Wouldn't be possible. Windows NT doesn't know fat32.

    --

    "Scribe" wrote:
    | Dave:
    |
    | No, it wasn't NTFS. It's FAT 32.