HDD migration to new PC

We have very old PC (Pentium 200) with NT 4.0 Workstation
(HDD is new, clonning from the old one and working
properly).
Now we have a plann to buy a new PC pentium 4 and want to
put the old HDD in new PC.
Will it working properly?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,
Amanda
3 answers Last reply
More about migration
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Hello Amanda,

    I'm going to say that this is not going to work very well. The biggest reason for this is NT40's lack of
    plug and play technology, and the very likelyhood that the HAL for the new motherboard will not be the
    same as the old machine.

    David Hancock
    Microsoft Server Setup Team
    MCSA
    MCP

    Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
    Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
    See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

    NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
    others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
    more timely response. Thank you!

    This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
    The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
    not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of Microsoft.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Replace particular chipset drivers on IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/Dual-channel
    PCI IDE Controller driver before moving the disk.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    no, it will not work. Backup (copy to another disc, or second partition)
    all important data and install new OS.

    scypho

    Amanda wrote:
    > We have very old PC (Pentium 200) with NT 4.0 Workstation
    > (HDD is new, clonning from the old one and working
    > properly).
    > Now we have a plann to buy a new PC pentium 4 and want to
    > put the old HDD in new PC.
    > Will it working properly?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help!
    >
    > Best regards,