Sign in with
Your question

Can I replace my Pentium 4 with a Pentium D.

Last response: in CPUs
December 31, 2005 4:02:52 PM

I have a P4 3.0 GHz HT Prescott and 2x512MB PC5400 HyperX running on an Intel 915GEV board. I am tired of everything running slow when I'm trying to do too many things at once, especially when ripping and burning DVDs. I will build a new PC next year with an X2 (I've read the reviews), but for the time being I'd like to upgrade to a Pentium D on this PC.

Will the Pentium D work on this board?

Will I notice a huge difference in multitasking, if I get this :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Does the software/OS have to take advantage of the Dual Core, or is that controlled in the processor itself.

Opinions please...

Thanks
December 31, 2005 4:31:10 PM

Dual core processors will not work on your motherboard. The 8xx and 9xx series requires a 945, 955 or 975 motherboard. The maximum that motherboard will support is likely the current 3.8GHz 670 or the 3.6GHz Cedar Mill 661 that will be released next year.

What types of activities do you do on your computer? For general multitasking Hyperthreading is usually sufficient.

For Dual core, the OS must be able to support 2 or more processors. That generally means Windows XP. Applications need to be multithreaded for a single application to be able to take advantage of both cores. Otherwise, multitasking is done by the OS as it allocates 1 application to each core for optimal load balancing.
December 31, 2005 4:43:15 PM

I'm running XP Pro.

At any given time I'm runnin AOL, MediaPlayer 10.0, and DVD X Copy or Nero and possibly Word, or excel, etc. I may be running an antivirus scan or Spybot or Ad-aware scan. I am also into gaming, so I don't want something to make gaming performance suffer.

I want to be able to do all of this at the same time (except gaming, of course)

So, how do you think I would get the best boost in performance? How about a 3.6GHz on my current mother board?

What if I double my RAM. Will XP Pro take advantage of both cores?

Would there be a big difference in a Dual Core and 3.6GHz with HT for what I'm using it for?

Maybe I could just replace my current mother board with one that will allow overclocking. I can't figure out how to OC the one I have now.

Tanks for your input.
Related resources
December 31, 2005 11:38:45 PM

personaly i would not buy a new CPU for your current system.

if its just slowing down while muilty tasking just dont run as many things at once!

if your copying dvds i wouldent recomend doing a lot of other atsks at the same time as this process usualy access your harddrive so upgrading your cpu wont make much diffrence.

more than likly your harddrive is the cause of your problems not your cpu :) 
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2006 5:14:45 PM

I have to agree with philderbeast. Myself personally, when I burn a DVD, I don't do nothing else till it's finished. Also, another problem I see is AOL. AOL is, again in my opinion, the worst ISP out there. When an ISP needs 256MB of RAM just to get you online with dial-up, it's time to look at a new ISP.
January 2, 2006 5:47:59 PM

I would just like to point out that pentium D cpus have trouble working at all, let alone in your motherboard, they have had tons of trouble with anything that is not standard 32 bit.
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2006 1:57:09 AM

Quote:
I have to agree with philderbeast. Myself personally, when I burn a DVD, I don't do nothing else till it's finished. Also, another problem I see is AOL. AOL is, again in my opinion, the worst ISP out there. When an ISP needs 256MB of RAM just to get you online with dial-up, it's time to look at a new ISP.

wow what is aol sticking on your computer???? i mean 256 mb of ram??? most i seen for dial up is 32............. 64 recommanded
January 3, 2006 2:13:13 AM

Believe me, I'd love to get rid of AOL. I've never been impressed with it. BUT, my Mom pays for it and I can't convince her to try anything else. The only thing we have available in our area is dial-up and we've been using AOL for 10+ years. She doesn't want to change.

I agree. AOL takes forever to load up and it does tend to take up some of my resources. I think I'll just suck it up and build a new PC...with an X2 of course. Stay tuned and I'll post my proposed PC, I look forward to everyone's opinions.

Thanks for your input.
January 4, 2006 2:29:44 PM

Wait till you people see what we have on offer in this country, you will feel...

over-priviledged.
!