Help and Support Center not loading

August 17, 2004 12:39:20 PM

Problem: The local Help and Support Center not loading in any way. No
response in System Information. Tried antivirus scans (updated NAV2004),
AdAware (Lavasoft). No response in Help and Support Center on
go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp via Computer Management/Event
viewer/Properties.
The necesarry services are running (auto)
Any suggestions? Pls...
--
Thanks, MK

More about : support center loading

August 17, 2004 2:11:02 PM

Start Menu/Help and Support doesn't work:
Go to Start/Run and type in: helpctr -regserver

To reinstall Help and Support: Go to C:\Windows\inf\pchealth.inf. Right
click and choose install. Have your CD handy.

Note: The folder is hidden by default. Go to Start/Run and type in: control
folders. View: Show hidden files and folders and uncheck Hide extensions for
known file types.

I'm no expert, but I did stay at
the Holiday Inn last night

"Mkis62" wrote:

> Problem: The local Help and Support Center not loading in any way. No
> response in System Information. Tried antivirus scans (updated NAV2004),
> AdAware (Lavasoft). No response in Help and Support Center on
> go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp via Computer Management/Event
> viewer/Properties.
> The necesarry services are running (auto)
> Any suggestions? Pls...
> --
> Thanks, MK
August 17, 2004 7:50:07 PM

Go to the services, highlight and click restart.
"Mkis62" <Mkis62@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Problem: The local Help and Support Center not loading in any way. No
> response in System Information. Tried antivirus scans (updated NAV2004),
> AdAware (Lavasoft). No response in Help and Support Center on
> go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp via Computer Management/Event
> viewer/Properties.
> The necesarry services are running (auto)
> Any suggestions? Pls...
> --
> Thanks, MK
August 18, 2004 9:13:04 AM

Thanks ... I already tried ... but still not working. Maybe is a deeper
problem (msinfo32 also not responding) ...

"Byte" wrote:

> Start Menu/Help and Support doesn't work:
> Go to Start/Run and type in: helpctr -regserver
>
> To reinstall Help and Support: Go to C:\Windows\inf\pchealth.inf. Right
> click and choose install. Have your CD handy.
>
> Note: The folder is hidden by default. Go to Start/Run and type in: control
> folders. View: Show hidden files and folders and uncheck Hide extensions for
> known file types.
>
> I'm no expert, but I did stay at
> the Holiday Inn last night
>

> "Mkis62" wrote:
>
> > Problem: The local Help and Support Center not loading in any way. No
> > response in System Information. Tried antivirus scans (updated NAV2004),
> > AdAware (Lavasoft). No response in Help and Support Center on
> > go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp via Computer Management/Event
> > viewer/Properties.
> > The necesarry services are running (auto)
> > Any suggestions? Pls...
> > --
> > Thanks, MK
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 12:09:04 PM

After this post, found a solution in "Help and Support" section - in a replay
from Wesley. Finally works!
Shortly:
1) reinstall Help and Support (*steps described in previous posts ... with
XP CD & Windows\Service Pack files);
2) in Start-Run > helpctr -regserver
3) in Start-Run > regsvr32 /u hhctrl.ocx
4) in Start-Run > regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx

I tried before only the first two steps ... with no results
Perhaps the last two are essential...

Thanks, Wesley!

!