Printing problem

Blair

I cannot print from my Win98SE PC. It is connected via a crossover cable to
an XP PC
I think I have to involve a LAN connection but it asks me for the Proxy
Address and Port. How do I find what these should be?

--
Blair Malcolm

Not much info to go on here.
Can you see each comp from each other?
Can you transfer files from one to the other?
Is the printer connected to the XP computer?
Does it print OK from the XP comp?
On your XP computer, in properties for the printer, do you have "share this
printer" turned on?
Have you installed that printers driver ALSO on the 98 computer? (you MUST)
Answer all these & we'll try to help you.
BruceM

"Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> I cannot print from my Win98SE PC. It is connected via a crossover cable
> an XP PC
> I think I have to involve a LAN connection but it asks me for the Proxy
> Address and Port. How do I find what these should be?
>
> --
> Blair Malcolm

Blair

Thanks for your reply. Answer:
My network is working ok and I can transfer files between both PCs
The printer is connected to the XP and it prints ok
On XP the printer is shared
The Epson 880 is in the 98 programmes.
I should say that before I did a clean reinstall of Win 98SE I was sharing
the printer ok so I must have some setting wrong now.
I get the message ""The printer could not be installed.Try again. If the
problem persists contact your system administrator"
Is this a question of access authority?
Blair

"BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Not much info to go on here.
> Can you see each comp from each other?
> Can you transfer files from one to the other?
> Is the printer connected to the XP computer?
> Does it print OK from the XP comp?
> On your XP computer, in properties for the printer, do you have "share
this
> printer" turned on?
> Have you installed that printers driver ALSO on the 98 computer? (you
MUST)
> Answer all these & we'll try to help you.
> BruceM
>

> "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> > I cannot print from my Win98SE PC. It is connected via a crossover cable
> > an XP PC
> > I think I have to involve a LAN connection but it asks me for the Proxy
> > Address and Port. How do I find what these should be?
> >
> > --
> > Blair Malcolm

I'm not in my office at present but from memory, make sure that in
"properties" on the printer on the 98 computer isn't trying to print to the
LPT port on THAT computer.
In the shared folder you should see the printer? Drag & drop a small TXT
file onto that & see if it's OK?

> Thanks for your reply. Answer:
> My network is working ok and I can transfer files between both PCs
> The printer is connected to the XP and it prints ok
> On XP the printer is shared
> The Epson 880 is in the 98 programmes.
> I should say that before I did a clean reinstall of Win 98SE I was sharing
> the printer ok so I must have some setting wrong now.
> I get the message ""The printer could not be installed.Try again. If the
> problem persists contact your system administrator"
> Is this a question of access authority?
> Blair
>
> "BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Not much info to go on here.
> > Can you see each comp from each other?
> > Can you transfer files from one to the other?
> > Is the printer connected to the XP computer?
> > Does it print OK from the XP comp?
> > On your XP computer, in properties for the printer, do you have "share
> this
> > printer" turned on?
> > Have you installed that printers driver ALSO on the 98 computer? (you
> MUST)
> > Answer all these & we'll try to help you.
> > BruceM
> >

> > "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> > > I cannot print from my Win98SE PC. It is connected via a crossover
cable
> > > an XP PC
> > > I think I have to involve a LAN connection but it asks me for the
Proxy
> > > Address and Port. How do I find what these should be?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Blair Malcolm

Blair

Thanks . I followed the instructions in the site you sent and when I got to
selecting the printer I got " The printer could not be installed. Try again.
If the problem persists contact your system administrator"
Same as before
I am not sure what you mean by shared folders
I looked at the network and there are shared folders under each PC but there
is no Printer within them
Could you please explain in more detail

http://www.mycableshop.com/techarticles/printersharing.htm

"BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm not in my office at present but from memory, make sure that in
> "properties" on the printer on the 98 computer isn't trying to print to
the
> LPT port on THAT computer.
> In the shared folder you should see the printer? Drag & drop a small TXT
> file onto that & see if it's OK?
> BruceM
>

> "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your reply. Answer:
> > My network is working ok and I can transfer files between both PCs
> > The printer is connected to the XP and it prints ok
> > On XP the printer is shared
> > The Epson 880 is in the 98 programmes.
> > I should say that before I did a clean reinstall of Win 98SE I was
sharing
> > the printer ok so I must have some setting wrong now.
> > I get the message ""The printer could not be installed.Try again. If the
> > problem persists contact your system administrator"
> > Is this a question of access authority?
> > Blair
> >
> > "BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Not much info to go on here.
> > > Can you see each comp from each other?
> > > Can you transfer files from one to the other?
> > > Is the printer connected to the XP computer?
> > > Does it print OK from the XP comp?
> > > On your XP computer, in properties for the printer, do you have "share
> > this
> > > printer" turned on?
> > > Have you installed that printers driver ALSO on the 98 computer? (you
> > MUST)
> > > Answer all these & we'll try to help you.
> > > BruceM
> > >

> > > "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> cable
> Proxy

Blair

Many thanks Bruce for your help.
But suddenly I can print from both PCs now.
Somehow I have pressed the right buttons.
Thank goodness now I can backup my system knowing everything is OK
Regards

> http://www.mycableshop.com/techarticles/printersharing.htm
>

> "BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm not in my office at present but from memory, make sure that in
> > "properties" on the printer on the 98 computer isn't trying to print to
> the
> > LPT port on THAT computer.
> > In the shared folder you should see the printer? Drag & drop a small TXT
> > file onto that & see if it's OK?
> > BruceM
> >

> > "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> > > Thanks for your reply. Answer:
> > > My network is working ok and I can transfer files between both PCs
> > > The printer is connected to the XP and it prints ok
> > > On XP the printer is shared
> > > The Epson 880 is in the 98 programmes.
> > > I should say that before I did a clean reinstall of Win 98SE I was
> sharing
> > > the printer ok so I must have some setting wrong now.
> > > I get the message ""The printer could not be installed.Try again. If
the
> > > problem persists contact your system administrator"
> > > Is this a question of access authority?
> > > Blair
> > >
> > > "BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > this
(you
> > > MUST)

> > cable
> > Proxy

Hi Blair,
Sorry I've been a little busy lately & didn't get back here for a while.
Good to see you got it working again.
All the best from down under mate...