How are the vanilla X800 cards?

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I was thinking about getting a X800 for my $400 system. I wanted to make sure it didn't overheat in a Antec Overturn case, but mainly wanted to play Half Life 2, emulators, and newer racing games (until I can get my PC racing wheel to work with a possible 360.) I was going to get the $107 or the $115 ones from Newegg. I think one is MSI and the 115 one is VisionTek. I needed to get rid of my other system and graphics card so I can get this new system and 360 (still debating), which is over in "Classifieds".

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I've been here long enough to know I'm not retarded. What toms doesn't have, something their community has though, is the experience with the card, something far more valuable than your link. Thanks though. I really wasn't planning on a 'stanger' giving me any information based on experience anyways.

obobski

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Does post count really matter that much to this community?

I really don't feel I should have to provide other forum memberships as credentials to provide assistance to someone with a child's TV show character as their avatar, but if you insist, I would be glad to provide such

So, if you'd also like my personal take on the Radeon X800 that your considering I'd say avoid the card...it lacks Shader Model 3.0 support, doesn't have FP32, and is the bottom end of it's line, which is already a generation back...

While there is no card which can directly compete at those prices (due to rebates and incentives, this is however ATI's marketing response to the 6600GT...so the idea is to have nothing competitive with it) lets consider the 6600GT given that it's in the price range, on theoretical performance it shouldn't be able to compete, however the X800 is serverly underserved by it's memory bus (only 22.4GB/s of bandwidth in contrast to most R430 based chips having around 30GB/s of bandwidth (such as the X800XL))

The 6800GS will offer a higher theoretical performance point (near 6000M Pixels/S if you purchase an overclocked model, which is over 6800GT's performance point (and it's got faster RAM on the overclocked models) while the non-overclocked model still offers higher performance, it isn't quite 6800GT equivalent) One thing that may surprise is the 6800GS overclocked models from Leadtek and XFX don't cost more than $6-$7 more than the normal versions from eVGA and Gigabyte...

Please consider that the 6800GS also provides SM3.0 support and FP32, which Half-Life 2 will support, the 6800GS also has a higher performance in Doom 3 (without even seeing a benchmark I can tell you that, given that Doom 3 is one of nVidia's best games)

If you want user experiences in terms of how the hardware makes you "feel", well there are a few sites on the 'net that I'd be GLAD to point you in the direction of, that benchmark like that...because like they've stated in press releases "benchmarks provide meaningless numbers that don't really affect how a user will get along with the hardware"

Have a nice day, and a happy new years :D

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Thanks, you too.

I know the numbers pretty well with most of the cards, but things like heat issues, the particular overclocking potential, and such reserved specifically to the people that own or have taken part in owning such, are the things I am more interested in.

I didn't mean to make the post count a big deal, we deem the title status a joke once in a while to a reserved audience whose experience with computers is sub par at the moment. There are a few ,however, like yourself, that already have had experience with computer lingo and the lot, and prove to be more deserving of a title. Ultimately, I personally, along with a sensibly assumable amount of others, that like to take part in a joke or two with the title status that is place. I meant not to degrade your knowledge with computer, but took to assumtion of your status and knowledge being of similar quantity.

I was hoping to keep the cost of the computer under $500, so the 6800GS would be unwillingly out of the picture. The 6600GT was something else in the ballpark that could prove its self a possible option. Half Life 2 was going to the major game of playing, but a couple racing games were of some importance. I haven't looked much into the requirements of newer racing games like Need For Speed: Most Wanted, so I'm not sure how Shader Model 3 would be used, if at all. The price I was looking for was $125 or less.

Sorry again

obobski

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Firstly, the grandeloquence needs to go...

Secondly, NFS:MW uses HDR, which means a minimum of SM2.0 is required to enable that feature, however some games route HDR through the SM3.0 feature set...(how I think it should be done, but it results in cards not being able to run it, and I only support HDR on SM3 because of FP32, more conditional variations for light, but yeah, it uses more power)

As far as overclocking, that varies card to card, given that each core and card is different from the next...

and heat wise I haven't heard of any issues related to the series your considering, however I would still suggest a 6600GT or possibly a used 6800 series card?

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Firstly, the grandeloquence needs to go...
But that is how are normally talk :eek:

I think I may just go with the 6600GT as it doesn't actually fall too far behind the X800 in Half Life 2 at the resolution and detail I play at. However, games like Half Life 2 which have HDR, are much harder for cards like the 6600GT to run at a decent FPS count. However, I still have my 6800GT, I may just keep that instead.

obobski

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Firstly, HDR can be disabled (and I personally do such, as current HDR, and some implementations of Specular, piss me off with the reflectiveness applied to all surfaces)
Secondly, why do say cards like the 6600GT have issues?
Thirdly, you have a 6800GT, why are you downgrading?

MTLink

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
If you were going to get a vanilla x800 then you just missed out. There was an ad for a Visiontek x800 128MB for $80 after rebate. Unfortunately the purchase had to be made before midnight of New Year's Eve.

I dunno much about ATi cards (I'm an nVidia guy myself) so I can't help you on how good it is. However some of my friends say that it should be on part with a 6600, not sure if vanilla or GT.

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
1) From what I have heard, HDR tasks the cards ability maintain its normal FPS, which isn't already that impressive for HL2 at the resolution I would be playing at. HDR would be more for upcoming games that I would like to play, not so much HL2, a game I like to play a bit more seriously.
2) I am getting an LCD TV and possiblly an XBOX 360. I have a very specific budget that I need to stay with.

If you were going to get a vanilla x800 then you just missed out. There was an ad for a Visiontek x800 128MB for $80 after rebate. Unfortunately the purchase had to be made before midnight of New Year's Eve.
I don't do rebates anymore. They made me feel old... and vunerable.

Admiral_Cecil

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
Haro,

Don't worry too much about heat issues for video cards in any case. As long as you are well ventilated with the right amount of fans, then that's not a problem.

THere's even PCI slot fans to vent out the air from video cards (can be placed in any slot as well).

pauldh

Illustrious
Don't even worry about HDR in a card of this price. Even if a certain game in the future does require SM3 for HDR, you simply won't have the power to do it with a 6600GT. Most games only need SM2 to support HDR anyway, but that matters little without a powerful enough card. Anyone buying a slower 6600GT over a faster X800 at the same price or more, based on features, is crazy IMO.

I am a big NFSMW fan, it's pretty demanding on a video card. MY A64 4000+ GF6800U OC can't play it at 1280x1024 max settings with any level of FSAA. Tuning down the shadow detail helps alot so I can play 12x10 2X AA or 10x7 pretty much maxed out. In contrast, a 9800 pro is reduced to 10x7 medium details & no FSAA, which still looks great though. Visit tweakguide for info on tweaking for that game. http://www.tweakguides.com/NFSMW_1.html

Simply put, with the current pricing, the X800 is a super buy. I have bought two in the past few weeks. The one from this weekend was from Dell Home, it was $136.95 + tax, but has a $75 rebate. So my grand total after rebate will be $70.17 for a PCI-e 12-pipe X800. Lately, the X800 vanilla is a nice buy; more powerful than a 6600GT and often less money too. If you can afford a X800GTO, X800 pro, a GF6800GS, or a 7800GT, great; go for it. But if a $150+ GTO is over budget even, then the X800 is the way to go. I'd plan on a better card though if you need 12x10 native res gaming on say a 19" LCD.

If you can go that far, ATI has a refurb X800 pro PCI-e for $150 in their clearance section. I bought one of those for $180 a while ago, and it worked great; good performance, VIVO, all accesories, and a 3 year warranty even. To be honest, in some games it is a matter of disabling/reducing FSAA and it keeps up with my 6800U. I was surprisingly impressed. Not quite as good as a X800XL or 6800GS though, but still a good buy for $150.

pauldh

Illustrious
I have a 9800 pro in a Antec Overature case. It has been fine even with the stock cooler. Just make sure to put the vented slot bracket in right under the video card so air gets pulled in over the card.

I ended up putting a VGA silencer on it, and am able to use it in quiet mode even. Paired with a low voltage Mobile AXP, it's been a decent quiet media/spare gaming PC. Nice case, just a little deep for my AV cabinet. Had to cut out the back of the cabinet to fit the overature in it.

obobski

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Um, idea!
X1600XT....
SM3, great performance, doesn't cost that much
was $160 on newegg, but appears entirely sold out
X1600Pro's are going for around $130...

I haven't seen benchmarks for the Pro, but the XT maintains performance on the level with an X800GTO (and in some cases surpasses it)

Not sure why this card didn't appear in the suggestion list...:/

Here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127201
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121549

And the X1600XT:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102657

Personally i'd hold out for that X1600XT, not sure exactly what your budget's top end is but i'm guessing it can come close (one of those two should fit into the budget)

Still wondering why it hadn't been suggested....well my bad for not seeing it earlier...

Side note to GeneticWeapon:
Posting worthless crap like that serves no purpose, if you'd like to complain at me, maybe a private message would be a far better idea (honestly I'd PM you, but your not worth my time)