dual boot with NT 2x?

I am trying to upgrade to Win XP but my installed NT 4.0 is on a partition
that is too small (2 MB). Can I install NT on a larger partition on the same
computer? Do I have to have all the original device disks to install a new
NT boot? Any other path I am missing that you could suggest?

Forrest
3 answers Last reply
More about dual boot
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Not necessary. To do a clean install, boot the Windows XP CD-Rom. When you
    get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found.
    After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again restart the
    pc booting the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments with your
    new install.

    During Windows XP setup, at some point, will want to confirm the previous
    operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
    qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
    proceed.

    Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios and
    or Windows XP drivers for your devices.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Forrest" wrote:
    |I am trying to upgrade to Win XP but my installed NT 4.0 is on a partition
    | that is too small (2 MB). Can I install NT on a larger partition on the
    same
    | computer? Do I have to have all the original device disks to install a
    new
    | NT boot? Any other path I am missing that you could suggest?
    |
    | Forrest
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    I purchased the "upgrade" XP windows, so I need an NT insall to install over,
    don't I? Are you saying that I need to go purchase a full-install disk?

    -Forrest

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Not necessary. To do a clean install, boot the Windows XP CD-Rom. When you
    > get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found.
    > After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again restart the
    > pc booting the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments with your
    > new install.
    >
    > During Windows XP setup, at some point, will want to confirm the previous
    > operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
    > qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
    > proceed.
    >
    > Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios and
    > or Windows XP drivers for your devices.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Forrest" wrote:
    > |I am trying to upgrade to Win XP but my installed NT 4.0 is on a partition
    > | that is too small (2 MB). Can I install NT on a larger partition on the
    > same
    > | computer? Do I have to have all the original device disks to install a
    > new
    > | NT boot? Any other path I am missing that you could suggest?
    > |
    > | Forrest

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    "Forrest" wrote:
    |I purchased the "upgrade" XP windows, so I need an NT insall to install
    over,
    | don't I?
    * No not necessary.

    Are you saying that I need to go purchase a full-install disk?
    * No, you don't.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional