Closed

Drama Storm Brews Between Generations of Diablo Game Devs

Tags:
  • Games
  • Diablo
Last response: in News comments
Anonymous
August 22, 2012 5:47:12 AM

Diablo 3 Was great the first time through it. Struggled to keep interested to finish Inferno.....Now it's just boring trash. Paragon. What a lame attempt to keep people playing.

Diablo 2 Still great.

I wonder who should be f*@#ed
Score
August 22, 2012 5:52:10 AM

IMO Blizzard hasn't made a good game since warcraft 3
Score
August 22, 2012 5:54:19 AM

Between the always-online crap and the decision to go all-out for multiplayer, there was so much wrong with this game from the get-go that I was barely interested in it. And I spent so much time on Diablo II that I nearly failed out of college. He took the series straight off the cliff.
Score
August 22, 2012 6:00:35 AM

Blizzard use to be a good company but seriously bashing a former employee on a public website like that is uncalled for. Seriously D3 development team needs to grow up.
Score
August 22, 2012 6:08:11 AM

I wish there was a way to get a partial refund for D3. At least 50% would be fair, I think. Wait, is Blizzard going to sue me for writing that here?
Score
August 22, 2012 6:10:44 AM

Dear jay and Jill
Jill your a ignorant fuck with no talent other than to wow the game up as much as possible. Jay dont let your corporate buddies fool you. YOU didnt create the most selling game of all time DAVID DID. This game could of been done with fucking stick figures and we would of STILL bought it. We hoped for good gameplay (its adequet at best) we hoped for an amazing story line to finish this game Metzen hasn't had talent in now over a decade. The game is bad the story is pitiful unless your a mindless drone. Thiz blizzard team management are just a bunch of corprate cock sucking idiots with no talent.
Score
August 22, 2012 6:23:09 AM

F*ck that loser - referring to Jay Wilson.
Score
August 22, 2012 6:28:53 AM

Nice one, Jay. You tub of lard.
Score
August 22, 2012 6:32:41 AM

lunaticwodaDear jay and JillJill your a ignorant fuck with no talent other than to wow the game up as much as possible. Jay dont let your corporate buddies fool you. YOU didnt create the most selling game of all time DAVID DID. This game could of been done with fucking stick figures and we would of STILL bought it. We hoped for good gameplay (its adequet at best) we hoped for an amazing story line to finish this game Metzen hasn't had talent in now over a decade. The game is bad the story is pitiful unless your a mindless drone. Thiz blizzard team management are just a bunch of corprate cock sucking idiots with no talent.

The only reson I'm giving D3 a one, is beacuase, the voices where pretty good.

But that's it!!!

Score
August 22, 2012 7:28:07 AM

Blizzard, bioware, dice... so many good developers turning bad lately.
Score
August 22, 2012 7:56:53 AM

PennanenBlizzard, bioware, dice... so many good developers turning bad lately.

Blame EA for the Dice one. Sticking their sticky fingers in dev matters trying to squeeze as much as possible out of the BF franchise and trying way to hard to convert CoD players to massive, open, strategic and team base gameplay and looked what happened to the final result.
Score
Anonymous
August 22, 2012 7:57:45 AM

Seriously people is disappointment so hard to take. Instead of a great game we got a above average game. Diablo 3 will probably never fill the shoes of 2. To say the game is unplayable is childish. The story is terrible, the lag sucked in the begining, the seperate levels of difficulty are unimaginitive and everyone seems to play similar characters. What kills me about d3 is the lack of a generally creepy atmosphere. It really felt like th dev made sanctuary into a bad joke. What they did do right is gameplay and animation. You can tell the amount of work that went into those mechanics. I gave blizzard my 60 bucks. I played for probably 100 hours. Overall I was disappointed. Do I hate blizzard? No. Will I preorder another blizzard game blindly based on it being a beloved sequel? Probably not.
Score
August 22, 2012 8:46:52 AM

'Gonna say it again, games are suck this year... Im having more fun reading all the replies to forums like these about everyone else whom are sick and tired of these mega publishers ruining everything for the rest of us... I think twice or even three times before I invest in any title here on... I can't wait for the next generation of game designers to come... But they dont exist yet? Anyways F.U. Bliz, EA, Activision!!!!
Score
August 22, 2012 9:08:18 AM

meh i am sure in the end of the day the current team will be laughing their way all to the bank. D3 is not much of a game as an expansion to d2. And that it sells and sells so well shows you that gamers are not the majority of the community. Pointless to argue against the tidal wave of the lowest common denominator.
Score
August 22, 2012 9:14:04 AM

D3 was clearly an attempt to make a pay-to-win game with the auction house and now blizz are terrified that their server overheads won't be covered hence all the patches. Bad idea from the start, useless launch and the result is a game which was about the items now being about a virtual auction house.

We need these modern devs & publishers to all go bust as they have clearly lost touch with the gaming community: Bioware, Blizzard, Activision, EA.
Score
August 22, 2012 9:16:08 AM

w0_odmeh i am sure in the end of the day the current team will be laughing their way all to the bank. D3 is not much of a game as an expansion to d2. And that it sells and sells so well shows you that gamers are not the majority of the community. Pointless to argue against the tidal wave of the lowest common denominator.

Not really as they have a lot of servers to pay for. They were probably relying on r/l auctions to generate a profit rather then just the game. There's a reason they've been rush-releasing patches; if they were already financially stable they wouldn't need to try so hard.
Score
August 22, 2012 9:17:58 AM

Jay Wilson is so edgy and cold, he could fit in any high school in short amount of time.
Score
August 22, 2012 10:02:33 AM

RIP Diablo 3 - i have played it and i am disappointed ! There are some nice ideas but overall it is just another weak sh!t of great series.
Blizzard-Activision have wasted time. Over 10 years and for nothing.
Fortunately i only play on "starter" for free.
Single player on-line almost totally idiotic.
Always on-line multiplayer is a joke, only 4 players.
Score
August 22, 2012 10:14:57 AM

Well the record sales were mostly due to pre-purchases as far as I know and therefore carried 100% by the franchise reputation that Brevik helped to establish. What people thought they were buying was a better Diablo II, but instead they got a complete bastard game. Williams is a berk if you ask me.
Score
Anonymous
August 22, 2012 10:51:17 AM

Metacritic user score for Diablo 3 = 3.8
Metacritic user score for Hellgate = 6.2

Maybe blizzard needs to redefine what constitutes success....
Score
August 22, 2012 10:54:24 AM

Torchlight 2 > Diablo III. Can't wait.
Score
August 22, 2012 12:32:03 PM

This game (D3) did not sell well because it is good. It sold well because Diablo II was great.

When it comes to the Diablo space, these devs aren't worthy to refill Brevik's coffee mug.
Score
August 22, 2012 12:40:07 PM

lol thanks for the news tom, after I got torchlight 2, now I actually checking Marvel Heroes after reading this article. it seems to be anything better than D3 is not so bad at all.
Score
August 22, 2012 12:45:54 PM

VALVE FOR THE WIN!
Score
August 22, 2012 1:05:09 PM

capt_tacoBetween the always-online crap and the decision to go all-out for multiplayer, there was so much wrong with this game from the get-go that I was barely interested in it. And I spent so much time on Diablo II that I nearly failed out of college. He took the series straight off the cliff.

Amen brother.. Thankfully I didn't spend money on D3. A friend gave it to me for my bday. I was severely disappointed. Leveling is not as much fun anymore. I mostly play single player.. having to be online to do that was insulting. Loved having to wait for servers to come back online so I can play by myself! The end felt way to positive and happy for a Diablo game. It was awesome in D2 when Baal walked out and torched the prison! I, like you, invested hundreds of hours into D1 & D2. D2 is STILL fun to play. The builds are numerous and take talent and planning to achieve. Blizz South and Jay Wilson saying they have the fastest/best selling game of all time is, as another poster said, attributed to Blizz North and their games. Blizz South does not deserve credit for that.
Score
August 22, 2012 1:06:58 PM

wow, brevik was polite, classy, and honest with his response, "it wasnt a game I wouldve made". then wilson spews shit out his mouth. blizzard, youre getting lower...
Score
August 22, 2012 1:22:18 PM

Diablo 3 was garbage. I played what? 30 minutes or less and never touched it again. gave it away to a friend after that as a trade for the Civ5 expansion instead. I prefered D1 and D2. spooky feel, good story, in fact D1 was my fav. I remember playing as a kid, used to scare the crap outta me lol
Score
August 22, 2012 1:46:52 PM

Stop this madness!! Someone please remake The Revenant!!
Score
August 22, 2012 1:56:22 PM

I felt ripped after playing Diablo 3 for a few hours. I purchase SC II and had a really good time, but it was "more of the same". It felt like a remake of SC with a different campaign and more units. The basic gameplay mechanics were the same. Still, it was well made and fun.

Diablo 3 is simply boring. Having to be online to play single player is mindboggling stupid, character customization is very limited in comparison with it's predecessor, and the loot is usually crappy. The gameplay changes felt like Diablo for dummies. And don't get me started on character design and enviroments, they don't felt like you're playing a Diablo game at all, more like a clone.
Score
Anonymous
August 22, 2012 1:57:57 PM

I only dabbled in D1 & D2, but D3 is a total POS and is nothing like the first 2... In my opinion.

Remove the always on DRM crap, remove the multi-player BS, and remove the real-money marketplace BS. Then I'll be on-board, until then, f*ck Blizzard!
Score
Anonymous
August 22, 2012 2:02:03 PM

wow... i dont mind you not loving it but less than 30min... wow
Score
August 22, 2012 2:27:58 PM

LOL Jay Wilson bashing a person who made Diablo a popular franchise. Righttttttt, Come and see me in a ring lets see how much you talk tough guy.
Score
August 22, 2012 3:20:59 PM

LOL I'm getting a "Cheap Diablo III gold" ad right now >
Score
August 22, 2012 3:40:59 PM

Jay and most of the people in that post are f****** delusional. D3 is such a fail that I feel really guilty dragging my friend to play it. Have there been an option between D1 or D2 HD and D3, I would have picked D3 last. D3 is only successful in terms of sale because of how good D2 was.
Score
August 22, 2012 4:25:28 PM

Brevik said what he felt in a very honest an non-offensive, non-personal way. "I would have made something different," being met with "F- that loser." Hmm...I'm not surprised D3 had so many issues...
Score
August 22, 2012 4:42:24 PM

Ahhh Jay Wilson, you never cease to amaze me how classless and pompous you can be.
Score
August 22, 2012 5:06:42 PM

fayzaanDiablo 3 was garbage. I played what? 30 minutes or less and never touched it again. gave it away to a friend after that as a trade for the Civ5 expansion instead. I prefered D1 and D2. spooky feel, good story, in fact D1 was my fav. I remember playing as a kid, used to scare the crap outta me lol

Agreed, as a kid when leveling in the church the 1st time I heard "Fresh Meat" I was terrified!

I miss the ability choose stats and build my character as I see fit rather than have my based character no different than every character the same class as me.
Score
August 22, 2012 5:18:31 PM

corporate greed and taking costumers for stupids anyone.

All big companies are after dumb money.

Score
August 22, 2012 6:18:04 PM

It seems like the last few years have been full of big devs releasing mediocre sequels to hugely successful games. After they run out of IP to tarnish where are they going to make money? I hope that 10 years from now gaming companies will look back at this time as a lesson on how you can sell out your fanbase for short term profits but don't expect them to keep coming back for more.

On the bright side, Blizzard is pretty much out of cherished games to ruin (except for Warcraft 3) so they should start going downhill now. This should open up some room for better emerging studios that actually care about the games they make, not just screwing customers out of as much money as possible (e.g. RMAH).
Score
August 22, 2012 6:46:07 PM

People, did you ever hear of the game Path Of Exile? Since I started playing it, I never gave Diablo 3 more than a cold chuckle. Also, I didn't buy D3 ::- D.
Score
August 22, 2012 7:57:52 PM

I love how the D3 dev team thinks they had anything to do with all the copies that D3 sold, what complete morons. The credit for D3 having been the fastest selling pc game of all time should go ENTIRELY to the D2 dev team. D3 was all hype, people were buying it because they loved D2 and thought D3 would deliver.

It didn't though, and it has showed with the vast majority of people having left the game in droves already, disappointed never to return.

And NOW the next game blizz makes will have a much harder time selling THANKS TO THE D3 TEAM. D3 team you didn't do jack except drive customers away and take credit for something you don't deserve. What idiots...
Score
August 22, 2012 8:01:30 PM

I love how the D3 dev team thinks they had anything to do with all the copies that D3 sold, what complete morons. The credit for D3 having been the fastest selling pc game of all time should go ENTIRELY to the D2 dev team. D3 was all hype, people were buying it because they loved D2 and thought D3 would deliver.

It didn't though, and it has showed with the vast majority of people having left the game in droves already, disappointed never to return.

And NOW the next game blizz makes will have a much harder time selling THANKS TO THE D3 TEAM. D3 team you didn't do jack except drive customers away and take credit for something you don't deserve. What idiots...
Score
August 22, 2012 9:02:30 PM

For anyone who misses D2, please give Path of Exile a go, fantastic free game made by awesome devs.
Score
August 23, 2012 12:32:14 AM

jhansonxiHere'a an interesting history of Activision/Blizzard and their attitude towards the gaming market:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/vi [...] _id=128252

Damn, only makes me hate Activision even more. Because no matter how bad EA is, they are really just following Activision.
Score
August 24, 2012 6:15:47 AM

fayzaanDiablo 3 was garbage. I played what? 30 minutes or less and never touched it again. gave it away to a friend after that as a trade for the Civ5 expansion instead. I prefered D1 and D2. spooky feel, good story, in fact D1 was my fav. I remember playing as a kid, used to scare the crap outta me lol

Make me remmember when first time playing D1, Scare a lot of me and cannot sleep well that night...
Score
!