Antec p-180 case and asus a8n sli premium motherboard

rwl

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I just purchased a Antec p-180 case and an asus a8n sli premium motherboard...what I would like to know is where do I plug in the second hdd led plug???? and do I really have to??? This is my enaugural birth by fire in trying to put a system together...I finally figured out that I had to rip my 8 pin connector in half from my newly aquired enermax 620 power supply to fit it to 12v 4-pin on the mobo...please help.

pwnage

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Hmm

Normaly, there isn't a second hdd LED connector on a mother board. You may want to consult the user manual to confirm this.

As for your PSU. Is that the Liberty model?

Even if it isn't there should be a 4 pin connector for the mobo. So the mod you did to your PSU was probably wasn't reqired. The mod may also cause problems in the future. But, if it was done correctly then you have nothing to worry about.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
hi there, did you get the Enermax Liberty EL620AWT model? i hear that the P-180 case doesn't work well with modular power supplies. how do you find it? and why did you have to split that 8pin connector in half? i don't understand. i'm still looking to get a case and a PSU. i think i'll get the P-180 and i was reading a review on the EL620AWT PSU.

pwnage

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Yes I have 2 of the Liberty 620W. they are great PSU's I got them cause of there efficantcy rating. it's like 85% or more I don't remember. I don't know how well they will work with the antec case. Anything Lian Li is a good case I think there cheapest case is like $80 or something like that.

As you can see I was wondering from my earlier post about that 8 pin connector thing.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
hi there, did you get the Enermax Liberty EL620AWT model? i hear that the P-180 case doesn't work well with modular power supplies. how do you find it? and why did you have to split that 8pin connector in half? i don't understand. i'm still looking to get a case and a PSU. i think i'll get the P-180 and i was reading a review on the EL620AWT PSU.

Hmm

Normaly, there isn't a second hdd LED connector on a mother board. You may want to consult the user manual to confirm this.

As for your PSU. Is that the Liberty model?

Even if it isn't there should be a 4 pin connector for the mobo. So the mod you did to your PSU was probably wasn't reqired. The mod may also cause problems in the future. But, if it was done correctly then you have nothing to worry about.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

I just purchased a Antec p-180 case and an asus a8n sli premium motherboard...what I would like to know is where do I plug in the second hdd led plug???? and do I really have to??? This is my enaugural birth by fire in trying to put a system together...I finally figured out that I had to rip my 8 pin connector in half from my newly aquired enermax 620 power supply to fit it to 12v 4-pin on the mobo...please help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, you don't have to connect the second hard drive light. If it has one, it's probably there to be used with a third-party controller card.

In fact, you don't have to connect ANY of the LED's to get the system to work properly. The LED's are there as a convenience for you to see when the hard drive is being accessed, to show the system is powered up, etc. Not needed, just useful.

Pop_Quiz

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006

The 620 comes with a convertable 8-pin plug...it just unclips to work as a 4-pin...."rip my 8 pin connector in half" is a bit of an exageration as this is exactly what it was designed to do. It works either as an 8-pin (e.g. on server or EPS12 systems) or you can unclip it for standard ATX/BTX 12V systems.