Sign in with
Your question

Dual core for the future???

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Dual Core
Last response: in CPUs
January 1, 2006 7:23:36 AM

I wanted to point out that people say it's the future which I agree, but for now there arent many use for the dual core such as software, games etc. People say it will be and it will in the next 2 to 3 years, but by then wouldn't you have to buy new cpu just to be up to date? I think it's a waste of money but at the same time it's nice to have. What do you guys think? :roll:

More about : dual core future

January 1, 2006 11:08:11 AM

dont be a smart arse :wink:

i like it but i like to have a few things going on in the background at once and it really helps, yeah probably will be looking for new cpus in 3 year but even thats not far off cause AMD are already bringing out the 940 cpu at the end of this year.
January 1, 2006 4:20:03 PM

I think dual core is already boosting games, Quake 4 for one...
and by mid year many others will have patches to utilize multi-threading.

Also, graphic drivers are supporting dual-core now, giving performance gains today over single core.

And multi-tasking benifits dual-core even in gaming, due to the fact the OS can utilize other core for virus/spyware progs and s/w firewalls services.

Plus, if you do anything like photoshop, autocad etc, you are getting significant boosts with dual cores....
Related resources
January 1, 2006 8:06:06 PM

its seems to be the latest thing dual core (sweet creamy dual core goodness!)
but most game developers are makeing game that are multi-threaded which will use the dual core over all...it not just later...its happening now.

I have a opty 165 oc to 2.6 on air and its a sweet proc, big notice in games and apps over all. If i where you i would reconsider. yes you can do other things in background while you play games but it allows you the user to multi-task...hence get more done in a shorter period of time...I would suspect that not in the distant future you will see quad core 8O Thats great!! just reminded me of T2..lol anyway do your homework ask questions and be open to change a little
January 1, 2006 8:51:02 PM

When using just a single application then dual core is, as you say, pretty useless (at least until applications are programmed to take advantage of both cores). But when it comes to using multiple applications then I think that Dual core CPU's are definatly worth the money.
January 1, 2006 8:55:58 PM

Quote:
AMD are already bringing out the 940 cpu at the end of this year.

Are you talking about socket M? Is it gonna have 940 pins?
January 1, 2006 9:29:08 PM

yeah its 940 pins, but the old cpus wont work in it.
January 3, 2006 12:16:31 AM

Quote:
yeah its 940 pins, but the old cpus wont work in it.

Hey I plan on getting the x2 4400. How much did it cost you including memory and mobo? where did you buy it from? I'm also looking into getting a new power supply as well and of course HD. A raptor and another HD sata 2 for storage. :lol: 
January 3, 2006 12:42:07 AM

Quote:
Hey I plan on getting the x2 4400. How much did it cost you including memory and mobo? where did you buy it from? I'm also looking into getting a new power supply as well and of course HD. A raptor and another HD sata 2 for storage.

you in england? all together it cos a about £1,300.

i bought it from www.scan.co.uk

ASUS A8N -SLI PREMIUM 104.35
AMD 4400X2 S939 1MB (2.2) 302.44
Corsair Tx 2GB 3200 C2 166.50

not including tax ^^

for a PSU i recommend Enermax there my fav at the moment Antec seem to have fallen behind, i use the enermax noisetaker 600w.
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2006 1:37:27 AM

well i htink dual core is the future, as that with sooo may stuff i have on back ground when i'm doing anything, a second core whould be nice...
January 3, 2006 3:23:11 AM

Quote:
Hey I plan on getting the x2 4400. How much did it cost you including memory and mobo? where did you buy it from? I'm also looking into getting a new power supply as well and of course HD. A raptor and another HD sata 2 for storage.

you in england? all together it cos a about £1,300.

i bought it from www.scan.co.uk

ASUS A8N -SLI PREMIUM 104.35
AMD 4400X2 S939 1MB (2.2) 302.44
Corsair Tx 2GB 3200 C2 166.50

not including tax ^^

for a PSU i recommend Enermax there my fav at the moment Antec seem to have fallen behind, i use the enermax noisetaker 600w.

Nope i'm from the untied states. 8)
January 4, 2006 2:41:36 PM

Dual Core will not help us much unless the release of LongHorn(Window Vista).
I believe.
:) 
January 4, 2006 3:11:25 PM

I got the Asus A8R-MVP for $140, now around 105
and the Opteron 175~same as X2-4400 but better :wink: from newegg for $460
Corsair Xpert XL DDR RAM for little over $200
January 5, 2006 12:29:47 AM

Quote:
I got the Asus A8R-MVP for $140, now around 105
and the Opteron 175~same as X2-4400 but better :wink: from newegg for $460
Corsair Xpert XL DDR RAM for little over $200

so which is better? Arent there kinda of the samething? operton and x2? So the Opterton 175 a dual core? What makes them so different? I'm not really into OCing because I dont know how to OC cpu. And how does the Opteron 175 compared to AMD's FX series? I do want a dual core because I want to multi-task. :lol: 
January 5, 2006 12:35:52 AM

The Opteron 175 is basically the same as the retail X2-4400, but can be bought oem for $50 less, and is designed for 24/7 server use so is made with higher tolerances.
January 5, 2006 2:09:39 AM

Quote:
The Opteron 175 is basically the same as the retail X2-4400, but can be bought oem for $50 less, and is designed for 24/7 server use so is made with higher tolerances.

OH ok. So is there a operton higher than 175? something more compariable to the x2 4800, or the FX series? How are they for gaming, and multi-tasking. I plan on to game and edit videos and what not.
January 5, 2006 6:25:13 AM

Quote:

Sorry this is going to be long but i have already posted this on this forum and among others. I figured you know a thing or 2 so I want your opinion.

Here's my situations. I want to build a new pc or have someone build it for me in the next month or so because I dont know how. I'm not all that computer savvy. I been reading a lot lately and I was going to go with x2 4400, then I kinda want to go to Operton 175 which I beleive it's similiar as the x2 4400. Also I been hearing about M2 socket ddr2, conroe and what not. Wait or dont'? So which is better out of the x2 4400 or Operton dual core 175??? I want to use it for gaming, video editing, like using final cut pro and what not, editing music, encoding, Muti-threading, multi-tasking and among other stuff. So it's not just for gaming . So pretty much what i'm trying to say is I want to do all the good stuff like play the really good games and then some. I read that the operton is more for servers so they are put more into harder tests and stuff. So since opertons are more for servers, how is it compatible with games, mobos, and software like windows XP pro and other type of software? I plan on buying A new CPU, PSU, 2gb memory, vid and sound card, uv reactive stuff so my case will look all nice purty lol, mobo, HD(sata2, raptor, and be able to raid), and I think that's it.
Between the 2 CPU's I mentioned, how much can you OC between the 2 before it's unsafe? And I guess Operton is better for OCing so how good is x2 4400 in OCing between the 2? I don't plan on OCing right away but later down the line. Also think I read that the Operton is socket 940??? I'm pretty sure i'm wrong but that's what I thought I read.

Plus i'm getting tired of reading all these forums becasue I can't decide and I just want to decide on something and get my stuff ASAP. So I will be putting the samething that I wrote here in other forums so I can get as much as feedback as I can and decide from there. My bugdet is between $1500 to $2000.

So pretty please with cherry on top and help me decide because If I keep reading then I will want to wait for the new stuff and before you know it, I will never get one lol. Sorry for being so long I just want to be thurough as possible so I can decide quickly. And I know this topic is been up before but again I'm new and have been under a rock for the last 4 yrs or so. I never read so much about computer stuff in my life.
:roll: :?: :twisted:
!