Problems with dual core for windows.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I was on newegg and how people comment out the products they just bought. Here's one comment on Amd X2 4400 said:
Windows does not properly handle all of the features of this chip yet. See microsoft tech article 896256. This resulted in reduced performance which was correctable by installing the hotfix which was provided by Microsoft following significant prodding.

Does this happen very often? :roll:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Not that ive noticed with my X2.
Some games are a little stroppy with dualcore, until you go into taskmanager and restrict them to one core.

but apart from that its been clear sailing.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Not that ive noticed with my X2.
Some games are a little stroppy with dualcore, until you go into taskmanager and restrict them to one core.

but apart from that its been clear sailing.
I dont have a x2 yet but planning on getting one soon. Plus I dont know computers that well, just know little things. How do you restrict it to one core? Hard? :roll:

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I dont have a x2 yet but planning on getting one soon. Plus I dont know computers that well, just know little things. How do you restrict it to one core? Hard? Rolling Eyes

no its not hard, i dont know if theres another way to do it but you go into task manager(ctrl+Alt+Del) right click on the program and select affinity then set it either to cpu 0 or cpu 1.

i havnt encountered any problems with games requiring me to do this so it most be a small number(i have alot of games).

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
There were some concerns about dual core compatibility with XP Home since it was only supposed to support 1 processor. However, users with home have had no problems with 2 logical cores via Hyperthreading and generally dual core processors are also supported with no issues. It's probably best to use XP Pro to avoid possible problems anyways though.

As well, AMD X2 processors have been known to have occasional problems with XP and 2003. The KB896256 article that you listed described such problems. I'm not sure if the hotfix is available for download since the article asks you to phone Microsoft to request it. It may appear in Windows Update though if it detects an X2.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896256

You should also install the "AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.2.2.2" that is available at the AMD website. I'm not sure if this is the same or similar to the problem Microsoft was addressing, but this will allow the OS to control the performance of the CPU via clock speed, voltage, etc.
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

jokersgrin

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
dude you read my mind!!!

go to AMD site and download the drivers for xp...read before you start download some are xp 64 version!!

hope it gets your stuff fixed