STOP error on upgrade to Win2K Pro

Hi there,

I tried to upgrade a 486 machine running NT4 to Win2K Pro with scary results:

* At the beginning of upgrade, I got a warning about potentially
incompatible devices. One was my SMC EZ 10/100 NIC card. I checked online
to see if there is a driver for this device for Win2K...found one at
DriverGuide. So I ignored the warning figuring I could upgrade later if
there was a problem.

* During the upgrade, I received an error that said that a certain file,
sqloledb.dl_ could not be found. So, I found it online and pointed the
upgrade at it. That worked.

* Following the upgrade I get a Stop error on boot. It says:

***STOP: 0X000000BE (0xBFEE3BC3, 0x047D8121, 0XF081B6F0, 0x0000000B)
*** Address BFEE3BC3 base at BFED4000, DateStamp 38437eba - NDIS.sys

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your
computer. If this screen appear again, follow these steps:

etc...will spare you the rest of the standard STOP error message...assuming
you're familar with it.

* On restart, same thing.

* Machine can go into safe mode. I booted in safe mode and reran the Win2K
upgrade, figuring a bad install. I received an error that there was software
which was not finished installing, so the upgrade could not continue. I
followed the directions (log off, log back on), but no resolution. I looked
the error up in MS support and was directed to empty a certain registry key (
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce ), which
I did. That allowed the re-upgrade to continue (still in safe mode). It
concluded with no errors.

* Upon reboot, the same Stop error occurs.

* ALSO...while in safe mode, I get a window (with header "16 bit Windows
Subsystem") after about 5 minutes that says
"D:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\S32EVNT1.DLL. An installable Virtual Device Driver
failed Dll initialization. Choose "Close" to terminate the application."

Thanks for your help.

Are you meeting these hardware requirements?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/sysreqs/default.asp

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"drewp2" <drewp2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I tried to upgrade a 486 machine running NT4 to Win2K Pro with scary
results:

> * At the beginning of upgrade, I got a warning about potentially
> incompatible devices. One was my SMC EZ 10/100 NIC card. I checked
online
> to see if there is a driver for this device for Win2K...found one at
> DriverGuide. So I ignored the warning figuring I could upgrade later if
> there was a problem.
>
> * During the upgrade, I received an error that said that a certain file,
> sqloledb.dl_ could not be found. So, I found it online and pointed the
> upgrade at it. That worked.
>
> * Following the upgrade I get a Stop error on boot. It says:
>
> ***STOP: 0X000000BE (0xBFEE3BC3, 0x047D8121, 0XF081B6F0, 0x0000000B)
> *** Address BFEE3BC3 base at BFED4000, DateStamp 38437eba - NDIS.sys
>
> If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your
> computer. If this screen appear again, follow these steps:
>
> etc...will spare you the rest of the standard STOP error
message...assuming
> you're familar with it.
>
> * On restart, same thing.
>
> * Machine can go into safe mode. I booted in safe mode and reran the
Win2K
> upgrade, figuring a bad install. I received an error that there was
software
> which was not finished installing, so the upgrade could not continue. I
> followed the directions (log off, log back on), but no resolution. I
looked
> the error up in MS support and was directed to empty a certain registry
key (
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce ),
which
> I did. That allowed the re-upgrade to continue (still in safe mode). It
> concluded with no errors.
>
> * Upon reboot, the same Stop error occurs.
>
> * ALSO...while in safe mode, I get a window (with header "16 bit Windows
> Subsystem") after about 5 minutes that says
> "D:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\S32EVNT1.DLL. An installable Virtual Device Driver
> failed Dll initialization. Choose "Close" to terminate the application."
>

> Thanks for your help.

Yes, with the exception that I started with only about 500M free space on the
boot partition, instead of the 650 stated on this page. When I ran the
upgrade the first time it said 450 was required, so I cleared off 500 (fyi
I'm looking at Win2K Pro..you pointed to Server).

Thanks.

"Scott Harding - MS MVP" wrote:

> Are you meeting these hardware requirements?
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/sysreqs/default.asp

Didn't you say you have a 486 though? That same page has the Pro
requirements right next to it. This is not a common Stop error and I would
suspect that you hardware is not compatible. Maybe someone else will chime
in with some ideas. Even if you get it installed this system will be
slllloooowwwwwwwww. NT is not a hardware dependent as Pro or XP.

--

> Yes, with the exception that I started with only about 500M free space on
the
> boot partition, instead of the 650 stated on this page. When I ran the
> upgrade the first time it said 450 was required, so I cleared off 500 (fyi
> I'm looking at Win2K Pro..you pointed to Server).
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Scott Harding - MS MVP" wrote:
>
> > Are you meeting these hardware requirements?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/sysreqs/default.asp

Thanks Scott,

You're right, I overlooked that. Probably b/c I have 2 laptops that have
been running W2K - in fact were delivered from Gateway with W2K Pro three
years ago and have been fine since, with x86 processors. At least, the
Systems Properties lists the Computers as:
x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1
AT/AT COMPATIBLE

The config for this desktop in question is exactly the same.

Am I wrong to sense that the NIC driver might have something to do with it?
I say this b/c in Googling NDIS.sys I see that it's related to network card
compatibility somehow, and I did get that warning I mentioned about the
non-compatibility of the SMC EZCard. I'm grasping at straws b/c I don't know
a thing about this stuff...just a "see smoke, sense fire" kind of thing.

Thanks.

"Scott Harding - MS MVP" wrote:

> Didn't you say you have a 486 though? That same page has the Pro
> requirements right next to it. This is not a common Stop error and I would
> suspect that you hardware is not compatible. Maybe someone else will chime
> in with some ideas. Even if you get it installed this system will be
> slllloooowwwwwwwww. NT is not a hardware dependent as Pro or XP.
>
> --
> Scott Harding
> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
>
> "drewp2" <drewp2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, with the exception that I started with only about 500M free space on
> the
> > boot partition, instead of the 650 stated on this page. When I ran the
> > upgrade the first time it said 450 was required, so I cleared off 500 (fyi
> > I'm looking at Win2K Pro..you pointed to Server).
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "Scott Harding - MS MVP" wrote:
> >
> > > Are you meeting these hardware requirements?
> > >

> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/sysreqs/default.asp

Incidentally that last reply was from me, drewp2, not sdf...that was a slip
of the fingers :)

"Scott Harding - MS MVP" wrote:

> Didn't you say you have a 486 though? That same page has the Pro
> requirements right next to it. This is not a common Stop error and I would
> suspect that you hardware is not compatible. Maybe someone else will chime
> in with some ideas. Even if you get it installed this system will be
> slllloooowwwwwwwww. NT is not a hardware dependent as Pro or XP.
>
> --
> Scott Harding
> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
>
> "drewp2" <drewp2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, with the exception that I started with only about 500M free space on
> the
> > boot partition, instead of the 650 stated on this page. When I ran the
> > upgrade the first time it said 450 was required, so I cleared off 500 (fyi
> > I'm looking at Win2K Pro..you pointed to Server).
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "Scott Harding - MS MVP" wrote:
> >
> > > Are you meeting these hardware requirements?
> > >

> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/sysreqs/default.asp

First, uninstall the Symantec products. You're likely using installations
that aren't compatible with Windows 2000, or you need to reinstall them
later. You should uninstall all Symantec products before you do a Windows
upgrade.

NDIS.SYS is part of the network stack. Are you *SURE* the drive you got off
driverguide is actually a Windows 2000 driver? Did you try the
manufacturer's website yet??

"drewp2" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I tried to upgrade a 486 machine running NT4 to Win2K Pro with scary results:
>
> * At the beginning of upgrade, I got a warning about potentially
> incompatible devices. One was my SMC EZ 10/100 NIC card. I checked online
> to see if there is a driver for this device for Win2K...found one at
> DriverGuide. So I ignored the warning figuring I could upgrade later if
> there was a problem.
>
> * During the upgrade, I received an error that said that a certain file,
> sqloledb.dl_ could not be found. So, I found it online and pointed the
> upgrade at it. That worked.
>
> * Following the upgrade I get a Stop error on boot. It says:
>
> ***STOP: 0X000000BE (0xBFEE3BC3, 0x047D8121, 0XF081B6F0, 0x0000000B)
> *** Address BFEE3BC3 base at BFED4000, DateStamp 38437eba - NDIS.sys
>
> If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your
> computer. If this screen appear again, follow these steps:
>
> etc...will spare you the rest of the standard STOP error message...assuming
> you're familar with it.
>
> * On restart, same thing.
>
> * Machine can go into safe mode. I booted in safe mode and reran the Win2K
> upgrade, figuring a bad install. I received an error that there was software
> which was not finished installing, so the upgrade could not continue. I
> followed the directions (log off, log back on), but no resolution. I looked
> the error up in MS support and was directed to empty a certain registry key (
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce ), which
> I did. That allowed the re-upgrade to continue (still in safe mode). It
> concluded with no errors.
>
> * Upon reboot, the same Stop error occurs.
>
> * ALSO...while in safe mode, I get a window (with header "16 bit Windows
> Subsystem") after about 5 minutes that says
> "D:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\S32EVNT1.DLL. An installable Virtual Device Driver
> failed Dll initialization. Choose "Close" to terminate the application."
>

> Thanks for your help.

TRENDING THREADS