Streets & Trips 2005 with GPS Locator and e740

September 3, 2004 6:06:31 PM

I have a Toshiba e740 and just purchased Streets and
Trips 2005 with the GPS locator. I have the host usb
cable that I attach to the GPS locator. However, when I
attach the GPS locator to the USB, I am asked to enter
the name of the device driver for this device. Does
anyone know how to solve this problem or how to get a USB
GPS driver?

Thanks,
David
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 5:38:05 AM

"David" <dbialer@blueranger.com> wrote in message
> I have a Toshiba e740 and just purchased Streets and
> Trips 2005 with the GPS locator. I have the host usb
> cable that I attach to the GPS locator. However, when I
> attach the GPS locator to the USB, I am asked to enter
> the name of the device driver for this device. Does
> anyone know how to solve this problem or how to get a USB
> GPS driver?
>
> Thanks,
> David

*If* USB is supported then look on your GPS makers site. Most GPS units seem
to be serial though, not USB.

Since you've been general with your question (not even GPS make/model) it's
not easy for anyone to be more specific than this, but good luck.
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 5:38:06 AM

Actually he was quite specific listing the GPS that comes with S&T 2005.
That happens to be a Pharos 360. There is a link in the little manual to the
MS site that provides info on the device. It also provides links to Pharos.
I'm not sure if you'll have any luck, as Pharos supports that device for
PPCs assuming you are going to get the CF or BT attachments for it. I didn't
notice any particular mention of PPC USB support.

The 360 is also available with a cable assembly that hooks to the GPS,the
PPC and a car DC adapter, but I don't see the cable assembly listed as a
seperate option on the site.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message

> "David" <dbialer@blueranger.com> wrote in message
> > I have a Toshiba e740 and just purchased Streets and
> > Trips 2005 with the GPS locator. I have the host usb
> > cable that I attach to the GPS locator. However, when I
> > attach the GPS locator to the USB, I am asked to enter
> > the name of the device driver for this device. Does
> > anyone know how to solve this problem or how to get a USB
> > GPS driver?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > David
>
> *If* USB is supported then look on your GPS makers site. Most GPS units
seem
> to be serial though, not USB.
>
> Since you've been general with your question (not even GPS make/model)
it's
> not easy for anyone to be more specific than this, but good luck.

Related resources
September 6, 2004 1:04:55 AM

Thanks for your help. The GPS Locator that comes with
S&T 2005 has a cable assembly that connects to the GPS
unit on one side and has a USB connector on the other.
So I assumed that Microsoft would supply USB drivers for
the PPC. Seems kind of obvious that they should have
supplied drivers, otherwise the GPS Locator can only be
used with a PC. I will check out the Pharos site.

Thanks again,
David

September 6, 2004 1:08:11 AM

The Pharos site does have USB drivers posted for the
Toshiba for PPC 2002 and 2003.

Thanks again for the pointer.

Regards,
David

Anonymous
September 8, 2004 6:21:01 PM

I have tried these drivers and unfortunately have not
been able to get them to work. I still get prompted for
the driver for the device. If I find a solution, I will
post it.

Anonymous
September 9, 2004 12:39:51 AM

I'd give the Pharos guys a shout. The MS device is clearly acknowledged as
theirs.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> I have tried these drivers and unfortunately have not
> been able to get them to work. I still get prompted for
> the driver for the device. If I find a solution, I will
> post it.

September 9, 2004 8:11:20 PM

Sorry, it is the "GPS Locator" that comes with a new
version of Microsoft Streets and Trips 2005. The GPS
Locator has the Microsoft name on it, but on the back, it
says Pharos GPS-360.

September 28, 2004 10:35:04 AM

Any luck resolving this?

!