Closed

Unable to Delete Roaming Profiles or Local

I have a few users on 1 computer that will not allow me to delete the users
profile. It doesn't matter if the accounts are Local or Roaming. I am using
the Domoain admin and the Local computer accounts to try to delete them.

If I try to delete the folders themselfes, I get an error stating the files
are in use. If i check the processes running there are no processes running
for the users I am trying to delete.

Any Ideas

Please Help

Thank You
3 answers Last reply
More about unable delete roaming profiles local

    "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a few users on 1 computer that will not allow me to delete the
    users
    > profile. It doesn't matter if the accounts are Local or Roaming. I am
    using
    > the Domoain admin and the Local computer accounts to try to delete them.
    >
    > If I try to delete the folders themselfes, I get an error stating the
    files
    > are in use. If i check the processes running there are no processes
    running
    > for the users I am trying to delete.
    >
    > Any Ideas
    >
    > Please Help
    >
    > Thank You

    OK. Try booting into safe mode, log on as local admin, get rid of the user
    accounts involved (if they're local ones), go into Doc&Settings, Take
    Ownership of the user profile structures involved (or just add your local
    admin account with Full Control permissions to the structure) and then try
    to delete them. That should work.

    george

    I have taken ownership of the entire profile folder. I can't delete the
    profile because it says there are items in use. When I check the processes I
    can't find anything in use. I have logged in in SafeMode as an admin and
    still I can't delete this folder. When you go into "My Computer" properties
    and view the profile the delete is grayed out.

    "george" wrote:

    > "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a few users on 1 computer that will not allow me to delete the
    > users
    > > profile. It doesn't matter if the accounts are Local or Roaming. I am
    > using
    > > the Domoain admin and the Local computer accounts to try to delete them.
    > >
    > > If I try to delete the folders themselfes, I get an error stating the
    > files
    > > are in use. If i check the processes running there are no processes
    > running
    > > for the users I am trying to delete.
    > >
    > > Any Ideas
    > >
    > > Please Help
    > >
    > > Thank You
    >
    > OK. Try booting into safe mode, log on as local admin, get rid of the user
    > accounts involved (if they're local ones), go into Doc&Settings, Take
    > Ownership of the user profile structures involved (or just add your local
    > admin account with Full Control permissions to the structure) and then try
    > to delete them. That should work.
    >
    > george

  3. For me the, problem was because a service got installed using the users profile. I changed the service to use 'local account' and I could then delete (or rename) the directory.

Computers Roaming Profiles Windows XP