Closed

Unable to Delete Roaming Profiles or Local

August 17, 2004 2:35:02 PM

I have a few users on 1 computer that will not allow me to delete the users
profile. It doesn't matter if the accounts are Local or Roaming. I am using
the Domoain admin and the Local computer accounts to try to delete them.

If I try to delete the folders themselfes, I get an error stating the files
are in use. If i check the processes running there are no processes running
for the users I am trying to delete.

Any Ideas

Please Help

Thank You
August 18, 2004 3:19:34 AM

"Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a few users on 1 computer that will not allow me to delete the
users
> profile. It doesn't matter if the accounts are Local or Roaming. I am
using
> the Domoain admin and the Local computer accounts to try to delete them.
>
> If I try to delete the folders themselfes, I get an error stating the
files
> are in use. If i check the processes running there are no processes
running
> for the users I am trying to delete.
>
> Any Ideas
>
> Please Help
>
> Thank You

OK. Try booting into safe mode, log on as local admin, get rid of the user
accounts involved (if they're local ones), go into Doc&Settings, Take
Ownership of the user profile structures involved (or just add your local
admin account with Full Control permissions to the structure) and then try
to delete them. That should work.

george
August 26, 2004 10:37:05 AM

I have taken ownership of the entire profile folder. I can't delete the
profile because it says there are items in use. When I check the processes I
can't find anything in use. I have logged in in SafeMode as an admin and
still I can't delete this folder. When you go into "My Computer" properties
and view the profile the delete is grayed out.

"george" wrote:

> "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a few users on 1 computer that will not allow me to delete the
> users
> > profile. It doesn't matter if the accounts are Local or Roaming. I am
> using
> > the Domoain admin and the Local computer accounts to try to delete them.
> >
> > If I try to delete the folders themselfes, I get an error stating the
> files
> > are in use. If i check the processes running there are no processes
> running
> > for the users I am trying to delete.
> >
> > Any Ideas
> >
> > Please Help
> >
> > Thank You
>
> OK. Try booting into safe mode, log on as local admin, get rid of the user
> accounts involved (if they're local ones), go into Doc&Settings, Take
> Ownership of the user profile structures involved (or just add your local
> admin account with Full Control permissions to the structure) and then try
> to delete them. That should work.
>
> george

March 25, 2013 9:06:13 AM

For me the, problem was because a service got installed using the users profile. I changed the service to use 'local account' and I could then delete (or rename) the directory.
!