Installing WIN NT Server 4.0 on 864PE Intel Chipset

Ralf

Hey,

I´m trying to install WIN NT Server 4.0 ( SP6.0) on a brand new system with
Intel ICH5 865PE Chipset (MSI NeoV-2)
Setup copies most of the files an then on the same point the PC restarts.
Last file to be copied is DVD-ROM Pattern.

Hardware is OK, cause same thing happens on a second PC with same hardware.

Someone please has an idea?

Many thanks
Ralf

Calvin

Hi Ralf,

If you have a read back through this newsgroup, this very same question came up
and I commented on it on 23 November. The short answer is information on using
NT4 on the latest Intel chipset hardware (ie: > i845) is VERY thin on the
ground. i have heard reports of people achieving success, but I have also seen
reports, such as yours, reporting problems.

The only thing I am certain of at this stage is that the Hyper-Threading on the
latest P4 processors can cause problems. Basically, from what I have been able
to gather from other posters here, the P4 (with hyper threading active) appears
to NT4 as a multiprocessor system. If the motherboard is incorrectly detected
during setup, and a single processor HAL is chosen, then a STOP error will ensue
at the first reboot following the text setup stage.

The best solution proposed to date is to disable the hyper-threading option in
BIOS on the motherboard if it is available. It would probably be wise to confirm
that setup is correctly detecting your processor/motherboard type.

Hope this info helps. As I have requested here before if ANYONE has anything
useful to contribute (preferably from first-hand knowledge, rather than hearsay)
PLEASE speak up !

Calvin.