preinstalled service pack on nt4.0 workstation cd

Tags:
  • Workstations
  • CD-Rom
  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
December 22, 2004 6:13:03 AM

for various reasons, I need a preapplied service pack on nt 4.0 workstation
cd.

I once had a sp5 preinstalled nt 4.0 cd from microsoft, but cannot find it
any longer, the only one we have now has sp1 preapplied. how can I get
access to a iso image of a nt 4.0 sp5 or sp6 preapplied service pack install
cd, or alternatively, how can I create one myself. I created an iso image
of the default cd and tried to copy the sp6 files overtop, but that did not
work, I got a stop error when I tried to boot from the cd. I left the
file._?? files and added the file.??? files in the i386 directory from sp6.
I did not go as far as deleting the file._?? files or trying to compress the
file.??? files to file._?? files though, please help asap.

Neal

More about : preinstalled service pack nt4 workstation

Anonymous
December 22, 2004 8:57:05 PM

As posted on this group many times before, slipstreaming service packs onto
the Windows NT installation disc is not possible.
This option was introduced with Windows 2000.

"Neal Vadekar" wrote:

> for various reasons, I need a preapplied service pack on nt 4.0 workstation
> cd.
>
> I once had a sp5 preinstalled nt 4.0 cd from microsoft, but cannot find it
> any longer, the only one we have now has sp1 preapplied. how can I get
> access to a iso image of a nt 4.0 sp5 or sp6 preapplied service pack install
> cd, or alternatively, how can I create one myself. I created an iso image
> of the default cd and tried to copy the sp6 files overtop, but that did not
> work, I got a stop error when I tried to boot from the cd. I left the
> file._?? files and added the file.??? files in the i386 directory from sp6.
> I did not go as far as deleting the file._?? files or trying to compress the
> file.??? files to file._?? files though, please help asap.
>
> Neal
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 11:17:02 AM

This attitude and you attitude is the very reason MS is looking the public
relations war with Linux. I know such cd's exist, I have has one in my hands
before. You lied or are just ignornant. MS has terrible support. Linux is
taking over the server space quickly now as the most popular server os due to
the fact that no one with an attitude like yours or MS gets in the way of
just doing IT work smartly and efficiently.

Learn Linux or go down in flames slowly over the next 5 years.

Enjoy.

"xe77" wrote:

> As posted on this group many times before, slipstreaming service packs onto
> the Windows NT installation disc is not possible.
> This option was introduced with Windows 2000.
>

> "Neal Vadekar" wrote:
>
> > for various reasons, I need a preapplied service pack on nt 4.0 workstation
> > cd.
> >
> > I once had a sp5 preinstalled nt 4.0 cd from microsoft, but cannot find it
> > any longer, the only one we have now has sp1 preapplied. how can I get
> > access to a iso image of a nt 4.0 sp5 or sp6 preapplied service pack install
> > cd, or alternatively, how can I create one myself. I created an iso image
> > of the default cd and tried to copy the sp6 files overtop, but that did not
> > work, I got a stop error when I tried to boot from the cd. I left the
> > file._?? files and added the file.??? files in the i386 directory from sp6.
> > I did not go as far as deleting the file._?? files or trying to compress the
> > file.??? files to file._?? files though, please help asap.
> >
> > Neal
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 12:44:06 PM

Geez, don't kill the messenger here!! It's widely know that the integrated
installation was introduced with Windows 2000 service pack one. See George's
excellent reply for details of what you might have seen.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Neal Vadekar" wrote:
| This attitude and you attitude is the very reason MS is looking the public
| relations war with Linux. I know such cd's exist, I have has one in my
hands
| before. You lied or are just ignornant. MS has terrible support. Linux
is
| taking over the server space quickly now as the most popular server os due
| the fact that no one with an attitude like yours or MS gets in the way of
| just doing IT work smartly and efficiently.
|
| Learn Linux or go down in flames slowly over the next 5 years.
|
| Enjoy.
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 2:03:39 PM

I doubt you had such CD from MS, as disability of slipstreaming is one of
arguments MS use to force customers to upgrade NT systems up.

But such CDs really exists. They was created by some computer manufacturers
and are supposed to be used only with machine they are supplied for. It is,
in fact, something similar to todays "Recovery CDs". There are two possible
ways:
1) On CD is compressed partition image of preinstalled patched system on
basic machine configuration and setup application is only taking care about
partitioning, decompressing image to disk and it will also do
"individualisation" task and it can also automatically install drivers for
optional installed peripherals and manufacturers proprietary software. Such
CD you can teoretically create yourself, some of disk imaging sw packages
are able to help you also with individualisation task (all these things
about SID, compname, network address etc.).
2) Original MS setup application on CD is replaced by manufacturers one, in
such case installation is transparent, you are installing like if it is
original MS CD. You cannot do such CD yourself without enough support from
MS and it means you need to sign special OEM agreement first (that is why
only biggest computer manufacturers were using this method).

"Neal Vadekar" <Neal Vadekar@discussions.microsoft.com> pí¹e v diskusním
pøíspìvku news:65CB85EE-5872-4662-B7EB-3590F83DA9FF@microsoft.com...

!