Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Geforce 6200 Help !

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 1, 2006 7:04:44 PM

Hey
I'm posting for a friend whos had problems with his new graphics card. He has installed a Geforce 6200 PCI into his comp, which previously had onboard motherboard graphics, his says its all installed properly and the old onboard graphics is disabled. Windows graphics are fiine, but when he tries to run a computer game or the screen saver activates, he gets a black screen and a system lock up.

Hes got the most recent Nvidia drivers and has the latest version of direct X (9.0c)
Any suggestions??
Thanks

More about : geforce 6200

January 2, 2006 2:45:23 PM

Quote:
Hey
I'm posting for a friend whos had problems with his new graphics card. He has installed a Geforce 6200 PCI into his comp, which previously had onboard motherboard graphics, his says its all installed properly and the old onboard graphics is disabled. Windows graphics are fiine, but when he tries to run a computer game or the screen saver activates, he gets a black screen and a system lock up.

Hes got the most recent Nvidia drivers and has the latest version of direct X (9.0c)
Any suggestions??
Thanks


Be absolutely sure that the onboard graphics are disabled from BIOS. Also make sure Device Manager does not show them too. This is especially important for this card as it uses onboard memory for some of its video memory. Speaking of which, how much RAM does he have? What motherboard or what system model is it? Also the GeForce 6200 is not available in a PCI slot version--I presume you meant PCI-e?
January 2, 2006 3:42:22 PM

may want to 8O check the requirements of the game you are trying to play
Related resources
January 2, 2006 5:54:52 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked in the System BIOS but as far as I can tell there's no obvious section to change the settings on the original graphics card. Windows device manager displays the original device as a Video Controller (VGA Compatible) but the device is listed as disabled (Code 22) - if that means anything.

As regards my system device it is an eMachines 4250 (I believe they are numbered differently in the UK to America) and I have 504MB of RAM.

The GeForce 6200 I have only mentions a PCI type rather than PCI-e, the sixth graphics card listed on the link below is the type I have:
http://www.3dfuzion.com/resources.asp

Thanks for any help you can give me.
January 2, 2006 6:29:46 PM

Thanks for the reply.

All the games ran before I installed the new graphics card, it's just the graphics were very bad. The problem seems to be when the graphics card changes settings, i.e. when the game loads up and the screen resizes or when the screensaver come on etc.

Thanks for any help you can give.
January 2, 2006 6:33:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

I have checked in the System BIOS but as far as I can tell there's no obvious section to change the settings on the original graphics card. Windows device manager displays the original device as a Video Controller (VGA Compatible) but the device is listed as disabled (Code 22) - if that means anything.

As regards my system device it is an eMachines 4250 (I believe they are numbered differently in the UK to America) and I have 504MB of RAM.

The GeForce 6200 I have only mentions a PCI type rather than PCI-e, the sixth graphics card listed on the link below is the type I have:
http://www.3dfuzion.com/resources.asp

Thanks for any help you can give me.


That the card is disabled says to me the card does not have the correct drivers installed or there's a compatibility issue.

You may want to check with eMachines to make sure that their motherboard supports that kind/model of video card. (I'm assuming it does.)
January 2, 2006 6:36:42 PM

The problem you have is the games are trying to use the old drivers. Uninstall the old drivers see if it works, you may need to reinstall the games to initiallize the new graphics card.


edit>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This should be your spec since you dont post
eMachines 4250 D845GVSR Celeron®D 345 3.06GHz(UK version)
Are you sure the 6200 version you bought has 128mb ram or does it have that turbo cache, using system memory? There are lesser models starting at 16mb dedicated. Check to see how much memory is being dedicated to the card then check your game requirments. Also make sure you uninstall the old drivers then install new drivers so there are no conflicts with the game trying to read the old one's.
January 2, 2006 7:12:58 PM

Quote:
That the card is disabled says to me the card does not have the correct drivers installed or there's a compatibility issue.

You may want to check with eMachines to make sure that their motherboard supports that kind/model of video card. (I'm assuming it does.)


Sorry I think I may not have been clear in the last post. I have removed the drivers for the original grpahics card (the one on the motherboard) using the Add/Remove Programs Menu and then disabled the device in Windows Device Manager. The original graphics card is listed as disabled in Device Manager. Then I installed the NEW GeForce 6200 graphics card and drivers. Windows reports the device is working properly and it is the only device listed under Display Adapters in the Device Manager. I have taken the drivers for the new graphics card straight from the NVIDIA website so I believe them to be the correct ones.

I don't think the problem is a compatability issue as the computer locks up whenever the screen "resizes" (sorry not sure if that's the correct phrase) e.g. when the screensaver starts and when the screen resizes during the launch of the computer games.

Not sure if that extra info sheds any new light on the problem or not! :D 
January 2, 2006 7:24:41 PM

Quote:
The problem you have is the games are trying to use the old drivers. Uninstall the old drivers see if it works, you may need to reinstall the games to initiallize the new graphics card.


Thansk again for your reply.

I have uninstalled the old drivers for the original card using Add/Remove programs, and have reinstalled the game I'm trying to use since that. Is there anyway to check/change the drivers the game is using in its settings?

I should point out the computer also lock ups when the screensaver sets up, how would I go about trying to stop the screensaver using the original drivers?

Quote:
This should be your spec since you dont post
eMachines 4250 D845GVSR Celeron®D 345 3.06GHz(UK version)
Are you sure the 6200 version you bought has 128mb ram or does it have that turbo cache, using system memory? There are lesser models starting at 16mb dedicated. Check to see how much memory is being dedicated to the card then check your game requirments. Also make sure you uninstall the old drivers then install new drivers so there are no conflicts with the game trying to read the old one's.


Sorry for not quoting my exact specs, I'm afraid I'm not the best person at understanding my way around computers!

The 6200 version I have says on the box it has 128mb DDR I'm afarid I don't know whether that means it is using system memory or not. Is there anyway I can check? Though in the Adapter section of the Display Properties menu the computer says under Adapter Information that the card has a memory size of 128 MB - I'm not sure if that answers your question or not!

Thanks again for all your help.
January 2, 2006 7:40:24 PM

For the game issue i would trying reinstalling one to see if it works.

For the screen saver try the theme to see if windows will automatically dectect the new driver.

I have always formated my hard drive when I install new hardware, but is not always an option for others. I dont know how to edit the registy to change screen saver settings, someone else may need to help with that.
January 3, 2006 12:06:01 AM

Quote:
For the game issue i would trying reinstalling one to see if it works.

For the screen saver try the theme to see if windows will automatically dectect the new driver.

I have always formated my hard drive when I install new hardware, but is not always an option for others. I dont know how to edit the registy to change screen saver settings, someone else may need to help with that.


I really don't think he needs to go so far as to reformat his system to do this. Reinstalling a video game seems a little extreme to me as well. Lets stick to the easy stuff first, alright?

pert_of_jb, you probably do not have the 6200 Turbo Cache. Those tend not to have more than 64MB of onboard memory.

Somtimes the latest nVidia drivers do not work with your card. I have an MSI FX5900 XT and I am using drivers supplied by MSI (66.93) and cannot upgrade past that.

So what you might try is installing the drivers that came with the card (you should have a CD that came with the card which contains those drivers). If that doesn't work, then try going to your card manufacturer's website and downloading the latest drivers they have there specified for your card.

Another thing I've heard is that sometimes you need to run dxdiag after installing new drivers to get them to work right.

To run dxdiag:
1) go to Start, then Run...
2) At the prompt type: dxdiag
3) press enter to run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool
4) Click on the Video tab in the DXDiag window.

There you will find the name of your card and the driver that you're using, listed on the left and right side of the window respectively.

Let us know what you find there.

Last question? What kind of ScreenSaver are you running that crashes the system? (My guess is its uses 3d objects.)

Edit: Please list the exact model number of your card for us too. This hsould be available on the packaging the card came in.

Edit 2: On the front page of the DXDiag window, you should be able to see what version of DirectX you're running. Let us know what that is. If you don't have directx 9.0c that could be your problem as well.
January 3, 2006 5:03:14 PM

Quote:
For the game issue i would trying reinstalling one to see if it works.

For the screen saver try the theme to see if windows will automatically dectect the new driver.

I have always formated my hard drive when I install new hardware, but is not always an option for others. I dont know how to edit the registy to change screen saver settings, someone else may need to help with that.


Thanks for your suggestion, however I have tried reinstalling the games and that hasn't worked.
January 3, 2006 6:39:26 PM

Thanks for the e-mail.

Quote:
So what you might try is installing the drivers that came with the card (you should have a CD that came with the card which contains those drivers). If that doesn't work, then try going to your card manufacturer's website and downloading the latest drivers they have there specified for your card.


I can't actually use the CD to get the drivers, when I first installed the new Graphics Card I had to remove the drivers for the original card first - however without any graphics drivers the CD failed to run (I got a Windows has to terminate this program message). Now I have installed the new card the computer locks every time I run the CD.

3Dfuzion don't have any drivers for their graphics cards on their websites, I tried the NVIDIA websites and they only had the one set of drivers for the graphics card - apparently it's a "one-driver-fits-all" job.

Quote:
Another thing I've heard is that sometimes you need to run dxdiag after installing new drivers to get them to work right.


This is the information I found under the Display tab of the dxdiag:

---------------
Display Devices
---------------

DEVICE:
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6200
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 6200
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Approx. Total Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Display Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

DRIVERS:
Main Driver: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.8198 (English)
Driver Date/Size: 12/10/2005 03:06:00, 3955456 bytes
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
Mini VDD Date: 12/10/2005 03:06:00, 3536768 bytes

DIRECTX FEATURS:
DirectDraw Acceleration: Enabled
Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled
AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled

NOTES:
No Problems Found

I tried performing the DirectDraw and Direct3D tests, both resulted in the computer locking up.

Quote:
Last question? What kind of ScreenSaver are you running that crashes the system? (My guess is its uses 3d objects.)


Yes I was running the standard Windows one when the ball flies apart and reassembles itself whilst changing colours. I can't change it as even the tiny version of it on the drawing of a computer screen in the Screensaver tab causes it to crash.

Quote:
Edit: Please list the exact model number of your card for us too. This hsould be available on the packaging the card came in.

Edit 2: On the front page of the DXDiag window, you should be able to see what version of DirectX you're running. Let us know what that is. If you don't have directx 9.0c that could be your problem as well.


The box lists the card as a "3Dfuzion Graphics Card GeForce 6200 PCI Graphics Card 128MB DDR" this is the only model number on the box and on the 3Dfuzion website.

I am running DirectX 9.0c which I installed of the Windows website.

Thanks for your help, I hope this information is useful.
January 3, 2006 7:22:14 PM

I think I have been really dumb and have worked out the problem.

I thought my computer had a larger power supply than it actaully it has, it only has a 250W power supply but the Graphics card requires 300W.

Do you guys think this is likely to have resulted in the type of problem I have seen, as I'm just trying to decide whether it's worth getting a new power supply or just abandoning the whole thing?

Thanks again for you help.
January 3, 2006 7:36:41 PM

Likely the power supply yes. That's ok, for 3 years I thought I had a cheap 350W psu in my old system. My vid card upgrade burned out this psu. Then I found out it was only 300w :oops: 
January 3, 2006 7:41:17 PM

Quote:
I think I have been really dumb and have worked out the problem.

I thought my computer had a larger power supply than it actaully it has, it only has a 250W power supply but the Graphics card requires 300W.

Do you guys think this is likely to have resulted in the type of problem I have seen, as I'm just trying to decide whether it's worth getting a new power supply or just abandoning the whole thing?

Thanks again for you help.


Well, you should definitely get a new power supply. that goes without saying. The other one will just burn out on you sooner than later.

After you take care of that, let us know how things are going. ;) 
January 7, 2006 3:07:33 PM

Hi,

I last posted that I thought I had found the source of the problem for my graphics card that I was running it on a 250W power supply. However I confirmed the details with my manufacturer to try and get a new power supply and apparently I do have a 300W power supply which is the minimum required by the card. So I am back to the same problem as before! Any ideas?

Thanks for you help
January 8, 2006 12:13:29 AM

well its an emachines so if you can test it with a different psu do
January 14, 2006 5:37:27 AM

I've been googling like mofo, trying to find a solution to my current GeForce 6200 problem. It is the GeForce 6200 OC, with 256 megs of onboard DDR. I'm a WoW addict. I have been for well over a year now. I can't play thanks to this card. I picked up the 6200 'cause my old card was dyin'. Get the new card, put it in, install the drivers and start playin' my addiction. Game crashes. Repeated. I get the latest drivers from Nvidia, install those and windows won't even boot. I've tried 3rd party drivers, Omegadrivers, and nothin'. I got some GeForce drivers from a buddy of mine, and it seemed to help, but now I'm gettin' the BSOD, and WoW is tellin' me that I'm runnin' outdated drivers. As for the stats for my box:

AMD Athalon XP 2000
ABit KG-7 motherboard
512 megs of DDR PC2100

Those'd be the bare bones of it that might be help with a solution to the problem. Yes, I know the mobo is old. Well, so am I, and it works for what I need it to do. Any help you guys could give me would be beyond gratefully appreciated.
January 15, 2006 2:35:19 AM

Quote:
I've been googling like mofo, trying to find a solution to my current GeForce 6200 problem. It is the GeForce 6200 OC, with 256 megs of onboard DDR. I'm a WoW addict. I have been for well over a year now. I can't play thanks to this card. I picked up the 6200 'cause my old card was dyin'. Get the new card, put it in, install the drivers and start playin' my addiction. Game crashes. Repeated. I get the latest drivers from Nvidia, install those and windows won't even boot. I've tried 3rd party drivers, Omegadrivers, and nothin'. I got some GeForce drivers from a buddy of mine, and it seemed to help, but now I'm gettin' the BSOD, and WoW is tellin' me that I'm runnin' outdated drivers. As for the stats for my box:

AMD Athalon XP 2000
ABit KG-7 motherboard
512 megs of DDR PC2100

Those'd be the bare bones of it that might be help with a solution to the problem. Yes, I know the mobo is old. Well, so am I, and it works for what I need it to do. Any help you guys could give me would be beyond gratefully appreciated.


What was your old video card?
Did you uninstall the old drivers first before installing the new video card?
January 16, 2006 8:24:00 PM

My old video card, which I've put back into my 'puter, is an Asylum FX 5200 Ultra. God, the noise this thing makes. I've done everything I can think of, driver-wise, and not so driver-wise, and it was all for naught. I took the 6200 back to the store. I'm thinkin' my ultimate solution would be a 30-30 and just build a new one.
January 26, 2006 10:24:41 PM

Ì HAVE A gEfORCE 6200 AGP its the crapest card ever
February 12, 2007 11:33:56 AM

Hello, I'm new here and I came here for tehnical support.

While browsing the E-NET, searching for the topic "NVidia Geforce 6200 problems" i found this topic.

So, back to the topic. I have almost the same problem with my N6200. But its a little different: after some time (Rendomly), after launching a game - the screen freezes, the sound starts lagging and the mouse freezes... after waiting a few seconds (about 30) the sound restores and the mouse can move agan, but the screen is still frozen (exept for the mouse), the sound playes normally, but I cant use the alt-tab buttons, or the alt-F4, or even alt-ctrl-delete, it just does'nt react, even the power button does'nt work, the only thing that works is the reset button, wich I press.

Sometimes this happens while i'm browsing windows. But after the screen freezes it goes black and the PC rebbots itself.

Sometimes instead of lagging or freezing, the rendering in the game goes all crazy, like pieces of textures all over the screen and they are all triangle form, in this situation I can go back to windows, but every game I launch has the same renedering tipe.

With this problem I am forced to reboot the PC 50-70 times a day!!! :evil: 

I cant imagine, what that does to my PCs health...

Here are my PC details, if they will help, (Copied from the DxDiag):

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: INTELR
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: BD7 Rev:1.0
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.70GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 235MB used, 1245MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6200
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 6200
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0221&SUBSYS_81C71043&REV_A1
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.9131 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 6/1/2006 16:22:00, 4529408 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
Mini VDD Date: 6/1/2006 17:22:00, 3925920 bytes
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled

If anyone can give any good and usefull info, i would be very greatfull. :!:

PS: Sorry, if this post is too long :oops: 
February 12, 2007 12:06:47 PM

Card has trouble with 3D applications. Buy a new card because your card is probably overheating while running 3D things.
February 12, 2007 12:14:25 PM

OVERHEATING!!!??? :cry:  But if its overheating now, that explanes, why it worked perfectly when i just bought it... wait a second... that means it will soon meltdown!!!???

Oh GOD, WHY???

I bought it this summer (2006), is there anyway to do something about it? This card maybe cheap, but it costs 58$!!!

Anyway, thanks for the advise, at least now, i think i know what the problem is :( 

anyway, is there any other avalable options, i just cant go and buy a new one, because i got no cash... :oops: 

If not, then i trully hope, that they will exchange this "broken" one with a working one...
:cry:  and i just got a new ISP to play on-line, why... why am i so unlucky???

I hate my life... and the Nvidia company for making such cheap and weak vidio cards...
February 15, 2007 3:45:56 PM

hiya i have a gefoce 6 6200 agp 8x graphics card while playing eny of my games and when i play eny of my games after about 5 mins on gameplay my monitor goes to black and then says no signal and i also hear a buzzing noise
June 15, 2007 12:26:24 AM

HELP!!! I am about ready to drop kick my computer. I have no clue what the heck is wrong. I have a 6200 that I bought about 2 weeks ago and I want to kill it. I have run the dxdiag and it doesn't even recognize the bloody thing. I try and install the driver from the disk and it says the graphics adapter won't support the driver or some BS like that and on the main menu it says there isn't a graphics adapter installed. I don't know what to do. I can run my monitor on it but nothing is picking up that it is there. I think I might know what it is but I would still like some help just incase it doesn't work.
July 18, 2007 7:49:06 AM

i have problems with XFX GeForce 6200 256MB AGP ,when i try to play movie files(all types) system freezes ,i have amd sempron processer with 256 memory and have a7v400-mx motherboard. plz help me to find a solution to over come this problem.
July 19, 2007 11:37:59 AM

Oh my god what a mess, i think people shouldn't buy 6200 anymore when an 7300gs is at the same price and with a little better performance.
And don't blame nvidia blame the card manufacturers
July 19, 2007 12:15:31 PM

I use to have a XFX 6300 TC PCI-e, and it really is for web surfing, wordprocessing, email stuff. You can try unlocking pipelines and stuff but I just gave up a few years ago and bought a new card. Mine was passivly cooled so you really can't do much with it. Adding a card fan I would consider a waste of time.
a b Î Nvidia
July 19, 2007 12:26:48 PM

To the OP, older drivers can be found here. http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html If these don't work (and I don't think they will) try a different powersupply. Whats the story on this card? Is it new or new to you? Because it fails once you try to use DX, I'm thinking that its a used (more like broken) card that you got from ebay. The original owner probably broke it overclocking it trying to get better frame rates. If I'm right about the cards background, getting a new card is the answer.

To all the thread hijackers, START YOU OWN THREAD! Trying to read this one is a nightmare.

To any mods reading this, the new forum software sucks. Without any way to see who's replying to who, it makes it rather hard to follow whats going on.
July 19, 2007 1:13:30 PM

I guess I have lucky with the Leadtech 6200 (128mb) I put in my daughter's PC. Her games aren't too demanding but it has been working fine for her. She has a XP2200 in an old SOYO barebones kit. DFI board with 1 gb PC2100 and 300W PSU.
July 19, 2007 3:19:17 PM

To everyone who may have trouble with their Graphics Cards: (However some may don't need some of the steps)

1.Check MB graphics bandwidth compatibility(PCI-AGP(2,4or8x)-PCI-E(16x))
2.Install a clean version of windows(Preferably WinXP SP2 32-bit)
3.Download and install Microsoft's program compatibility patch (For Vista Users)
4.Get the latest MB chipset (e.g. Intel945p+ICH8) driver from motherboard manufacturer website
5.Get the latest MB BIOS from motherboard manufacturer website
6.Get the latest graphics card driver from NVIDIA
7.If possible, Get the latest patches for your games and also updates for your Windows
...

If anyone can't try the steps given or the problem still persists after following the steps, inform me so I can provide him with the needed help to follow the steps or to provide further steps.

Wishing to help
April 8, 2009 1:55:09 AM

tiredtraveller said:
To everyone who may have trouble with their Graphics Cards: (However some may don't need some of the steps)

1.Check MB graphics bandwidth compatibility(PCI-AGP(2,4or8x)-PCI-E(16x))
2.Install a clean version of windows(Preferably WinXP SP2 32-bit)
3.Download and install Microsoft's program compatibility patch (For Vista Users)
4.Get the latest MB chipset (e.g. Intel945p+ICH8) driver from motherboard manufacturer website
5.Get the latest MB BIOS from motherboard manufacturer website
6.Get the latest graphics card driver from NVIDIA
7.If possible, Get the latest patches for your games and also updates for your Windows
...

If anyone can't try the steps given or the problem still persists after following the steps, inform me so I can provide him with the needed help to follow the steps or to provide further steps.

Wishing to help




i also have an e mechine and omg this is the story well i decided to go out and buy a video card so my fable game looked better i buy the nvidia geforce 6200 oc pci with 256 mb ddr memory i follow the install guide and imeadetly have problems my moniter quit working on my intergrated graphics so i connect to my grapics card and it worked long enough to boot upp log in and then froze for 10 min i reboot then i get to login screen and froze again well now i cannot get my com to boot past the loading windows screen please idk what to do
Anonymous
August 6, 2010 9:15:40 AM

Hai guyz
I got a Gforce 6200 256 MB and i used like um 4 years and now after a long time is crashing up overheating ...... :o  :o  :o  ........ i can't do nothing because when i enter into a game or a program is dead Blue Screen Activated ..... if u can help me pls tell me i could use some help
Anonymous
August 6, 2010 9:17:05 AM

.... is hard please awnser meh Reply ...
Anonymous
August 6, 2010 9:37:35 AM

im using Speed Fan to see the Temp of my GPU and seems to be good the Temp of my gpu is 51-52 and goes up to 55 i read the topic about overheating and is nothing i cant do about it ? the usualy temp is 40-45....
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 6, 2010 1:43:49 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!