Restore network connections unreliable

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

xp pro sp1

Is it possible to restore a connection to another computer without
restarting or logging off?

This drives me crazy. On this lan with a router, there is connectivity to
some machines but not others following a hibernate restart. I then log off
and on again but the connections are restored only sometimes. Internet
connectivity is always available at all machines.

If I browse to the share on another computer, I often only find what looks
like several offline folders (which I did not set up to be available
offline). I only set up 2 other folders.

Being that the connections are not always reliably restored, and sometimes
when they are, it is too late for programs (such as Briefcase) to notice...

How can I reliably restore a connection while logged on?

Nick
2 answers Last reply
More about restore network connections unreliable
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    "Monte Grant" <dirdx@juno.com> wrote in message
    > xp pro sp1
    >
    > Is it possible to restore a connection to another computer without
    > restarting or logging off?
    >
    > This drives me crazy. On this lan with a router, there is connectivity to
    > some machines but not others following a hibernate restart. I then log
    > off
    > and on again but the connections are restored only sometimes. Internet
    > connectivity is always available at all machines.
    >
    > If I browse to the share on another computer, I often only find what looks
    > like several offline folders (which I did not set up to be available
    > offline). I only set up 2 other folders.
    >
    > Being that the connections are not always reliably restored, and sometimes
    > when they are, it is too late for programs (such as Briefcase) to
    > notice...
    >
    > How can I reliably restore a connection while logged on?
    >
    > Nick

    Try pulling up Search and hit the 'search for computers or people' link and
    type the IP of the computer you're trying to connect to.
    Also, do you get to the shared folders with just a shortcut or by way of
    Network Neighborhood? If so, try 'mapping' the folder instead.
    --

    "I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
    - Alceryes

    My workaround - disable and then re-enable your network connection.
    This fixes the problem for me when coming out of Standby or
    Hibernation...

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:05:00 -0500, "Monte Grant" <dirdx@juno.com>
    wrote:

    >xp pro sp1
    >
    >Is it possible to restore a connection to another computer without
    >restarting or logging off?
    >
    >This drives me crazy. On this lan with a router, there is connectivity to
    >some machines but not others following a hibernate restart. I then log off
    >and on again but the connections are restored only sometimes. Internet
    >connectivity is always available at all machines.
    >
    >If I browse to the share on another computer, I often only find what looks
    >like several offline folders (which I did not set up to be available
    >offline). I only set up 2 other folders.
    >
    >Being that the connections are not always reliably restored, and sometimes
    >when they are, it is too late for programs (such as Briefcase) to notice...
    >
    >How can I reliably restore a connection while logged on?
    >
    >Nick

Connectivity Microsoft Windows XP