RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
Whats ur problem man?

leave the trash talk out,

the x1800 can be brought for the same mulla as 7800!

Tip:read more reviews ones betta at one thing than the other, & vica versa. Dont trash talk ati down if you dont know.

threat3

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
well i noticed the x1800 all had 16 pipelines and the 7800's all had 20 or up to 24 and overall the 7800's mostly had better clock speeds. the ati had better resolution they didnt look worth buying for gamming. they didnt get good benchmark scores the 7800's beat them out on every game exept half life 2. i wasnt trash talking calm down.

obobski

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
does the concept of explaining his question to him, instead of flaming him, seem to be lost on you people?

the only actual statement in here that is remotely correct or even makes sense in plain english, is the X1800XT and 7800GTX doing different in different benchmarks (wow, you think they might do different, given the amazingly GIGANTIC architectual differences, paired with driver maturity differences, and optimizations for different engines, along with using different memory systems and pipeline configurations, i'm so amazed they aren't identical </sarcasm>

as to the remarks about the 7800GTX 512MB, it's been for sale on and off for most of decemeber, newegg just isn't stocking it (you know there are something like a thousand other retailers...newegg isn't the only one, just one of many) or doesn't have it in stock

The guy is simply asking why the X1800XT and X1800XL are even selling, well it simply comes down to people being so blindly devoted to ATI that they'll buy them, or that they just have to have the newest out there (it is newer than 7800, by a few months)

The X1800 series launched late, and didn't offer as much performance as the hype promised, while the 7800 was announced and launched almost overnight, and really is an amazing card...

So if your wanting to say going for a brand with a more mature platform for most technologies ATI is competing with, is heathenistic (as would be implied by your amazingly newbie friendly posts) then I think you sir are the heathen....

Also, while I can't vouch for the nVidia Forums, I can certainly say that this abomination of a forum is not only an amazingly hostile place, but it's a disapointment to what used to be a somewhat respected tech website (believe me, THG doesn't have the best reputation, and your wonderful hospitality is obviously improving the reputation of the most legitimate and never questioned authority on hardware performance on the net...)

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
I can certainly say that this abomination of a forum is not only an amazingly hostile place, but it's a disapointment to what used to be a somewhat respected tech website (believe me, THG doesn't have the best reputation, and your wonderful hospitality is obviously improving the reputation of the most legitimate and never questioned authority on hardware performance on the net...)
:idea: Doesnt it make you want to leave?

RichPLS

Champion
From the TechReport, which are biased nVidiots like you...
A Radeon X1800 XT CrossFire rig is mighty fast. Also, it's six degrees Fahrenheit outside right now at my place, and I've enjoyed the room-warming benefits of CrossFire and SLI systems throughout the preparation of this review. My mind boggles, though, when I try to consider the value proposition of plunking down $1200 for a pair of graphics cards and roughly $200 more for the motherboard. Could a pair of Radeon X1800 XT cards in CrossFire be a better deal than two GeForce 7800 GTX 512s in SLI?
Yeah, I suppose so, especially with GTX 512 prices currently in low-altitude orbit. I do have my reservations about CrossFire, including the hassle of dealing with external dongles and the iffy I/O performance of CrossFire motherboards that use ATI's SB450 south bridge. Still, CrossFire performance generally scales well enough from one card to two, and I said in my initial CrossFire review that the long-term success of this solution would hinge on the quality of ATI's new GPUs. Turns out that the Radeon X1800 XT is a very desirable graphics card that matches the GeForce 7800 GTX feature for feature and adds a few new wrinkles of its own, including finer threading granularity for Shader Model 3.0 and the ability to do antialiasing with high-dynamic-range rendering. The Radeon X1800 XT trails the GeForce 7800 GTX 512 in overall performance, but Radeon X1800 CrossFire may hit the streets at prices as much as $150 lower per card than the 7800 GTX 512. (Radeon X1800 XTs are already widely available at $599 or less.) In the rarefied air of big-money graphics subsystems, that potential $300 price difference—if indeed it develops—could make a Radeon X1800 XT CrossFire system a, uh, er, uhm, solid value.

Yeah, I said it.

It's bitchin' fast, at any rate.

obobski

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
multi-graphics weren't being discussed

and CrossFire while somewhat, different, in it's physical configuration
offers a lot more flexibility in performance modes (including tiling) compared to nVidia's SLI

I'm not denying the X1800XT of being fast, I'm saying that for single card price/performance the 7800 series beats it...

Overall the fastest configuration you could probably manage today would be X1800XT CrossFire, that however will cost a fair deal (7800GTX 512 SLI would be more expensive, and imo it's a waste at that price point (and using huge amounts of power for both cards (the X1800XT, while not light on power, isn't as bad as the 7800GTX 512's))

but for the money, a 7800GT is almost unbeatable, same goes for the 7800GTX
which is around $450, in comparison to the X1800XT's $500~

It's honestly a personal preference, I choose nVidia on a basis of prefering to spend less money, i'm sure in the next few months ATI will be able to corner the prices down and things will even out (you have to consider that X1800XT launched recently, so the prices will obviously be higher, 7800GTX has had time to drop prices down due to being on the market for almost 6 months)

Really the X1800 series is amazing, it's just still rather expensive when you consider 7800...i'm not saying one is better performance wise (except AOE3, which I'm only noting due to some other threads (other forums) that i've seen on it's performance)
X1800 and 7800 both offer nice feature sets, X1800 has it's own features unique from 7800 and vice versa

X1800 has a more appealing multiple graphics configuration (that i'm only weary of due to questionable multi-monitor support (this is an ATI driver thing, not a hardware thing))

It's personal opinion man, 7800 just cuts it cheaper

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
From the TechReport, which are biased nVidiots like you...
You noticed that too?
scratchchin2gl.gif

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Oboski..hmm: I like this guy already, he thinks before he posts.

Well, depends on how you look @ the two cards. Where the 7800 line can push out an ass load of pixels and turn higher frame rates. Then again the X is a little better when it comes to shading, not to mention HDR and AA implementation.

Also, yes, cost. I can find the XT for $480..while I cannot find a 512MG GTX
(at all) but mostly below $700. So, whats your choice? No idea... if your looking for the best card (stock) with no cash limit...7800Ulta is your choice.
If you are on a more conservative budget, like having a few more features and multi-media options...not to mention into overclocking, a X1800XT can be clocked high enough to run right with or in many cases beat the 78.

That 90nm process really helps, as many customers can achieve anywhere from 5-23% preformance increases (standard cooling solution) by doing some tweaking.

Right now, I personally wouldnt touch Crossfire. ATI needs some time to work the bugs out...eventually yes, but right now...no. To be completely honest, I believe any multi GPU setup is a complete waste of money, but I dont even want to go there.

BTW..RichPLSi: I dont think this board is entirely Nvida bias..you have many tools for both sides, keep that in mind. However the boys in Green have produced a very solid product line of late.
Dont forget...ATI still has their PCI-E production standards lowered from their OEM deals with Dell.

RichPLS

Champion
at least ati has a production line, and if your are worried about bba quality, then there are plenty of competitors willing to build ati cards that are willing to insure their cards have an edge too.