Need urgent help: config IP without accessing "network" icon

Hi, there,

My computer has assigned a fixed IP before and I want to release it so I can
assign the fixed IP to another PC.

My Windows NT4.0 has some problem. When I click the "Network" icon in the
control panel, nothing pops up.

If I want to change the IP settings of my computer, such as IP Address,
Subset Mask, Default gateway, WINS Server and DNS Servers, what can I do in
my case?

Try reapplying your current service pack.

You might also try netsh from a command prompt;

1 to set ip address and subnet, 2 to clear previous dns server ip's, 3 to
set primary dns server, 4 to set alt dns server, 5 to set ip address DHCP
assigned

1.) netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection 2"
source=static addr=192.168.10.10 mask=255.255.255.0 gateway=none
2.) netsh interface ip delete dns name="Local Area Connection 2" addr=all
3.) netsh interface ip set dns name="Local Area Connection 2" source=static
addr=192.168.20.20
4.) netsh interface ip add dns name="Local Area Connection 2"
addr=192.168.30.30
5.) netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection 2"
source=dhcp

Where "Local Area Connection 2" is the name of your connection. (watch for
line wrap)

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Julia" wroteL
| Hi, there,
|
| My computer has assigned a fixed IP before and I want to release it so I
can
| assign the fixed IP to another PC.
|
| My Windows NT4.0 has some problem. When I click the "Network" icon in the
| control panel, nothing pops up.
|
| If I want to change the IP settings of my computer, such as IP Address,
| Subset Mask, Default gateway, WINS Server and DNS Servers, what can I do
in
| my case?

Thank you very much!
I tried "netsh" command however this command is not recognized in my NT4.
Also, how to find the name of my connections?

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Try reapplying your current service pack.
>
> You might also try netsh from a command prompt;
>
> 1 to set ip address and subnet, 2 to clear previous dns server ip's, 3 to
> set primary dns server, 4 to set alt dns server, 5 to set ip address DHCP
> assigned
>
> 1.) netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection 2"
> source=static addr=192.168.10.10 mask=255.255.255.0 gateway=none
> 2.) netsh interface ip delete dns name="Local Area Connection 2" addr=all
> 3.) netsh interface ip set dns name="Local Area Connection 2" source=static
> addr=192.168.20.20
> 4.) netsh interface ip add dns name="Local Area Connection 2"
> addr=192.168.30.30
> 5.) netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection 2"
> source=dhcp
>
> Where "Local Area Connection 2" is the name of your connection. (watch for
> line wrap)
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Julia" wroteL
> | Hi, there,
> |
> | My computer has assigned a fixed IP before and I want to release it so I
> can
> | assign the fixed IP to another PC.
> |
> | My Windows NT4.0 has some problem. When I click the "Network" icon in the
> | control panel, nothing pops up.
> |
> | If I want to change the IP settings of my computer, such as IP Address,
> | Subset Mask, Default gateway, WINS Server and DNS Servers, what can I do
> in
> | my case?

You're right, it does not work on Windows NT

Try running;

control.exe %windir%\system32\ncpa.cpl, network

--

"Julia" wrote:
| Thank you very much!
| I tried "netsh" command however this command is not recognized in my NT4.
| Also, how to find the name of my connections?

Hello, Dave,
Thank you for you suggestion.
However, no window shows up when I run the command, just like when I click
the "network" icon in "control panel". Do you have other suggestions? I think
I may need to edit the Windows registry manually. Do you know how to change a
static IP into a dynamic IP?

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You're right, it does not work on Windows NT
>
> Try running;
>
> control.exe %windir%\system32\ncpa.cpl, network
>

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Julia" wrote:
> | Thank you very much!
> | I tried "netsh" command however this command is not recognized in my NT4.
> | Also, how to find the name of my connections?

You might try the steps in this article to replace and register.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q173132