Computer will not turn off

A friend has just obtained a re-conditioned computer with Windows NT. When
he tries to switch it off (Start>Turn Off Computer>Turn Off), the computer
continues running and he has to power down with the On/Off switch.
Can anyone point us in the right direction to resolve this problem.
Clive

Clive wrote:

> A friend has just obtained a re-conditioned computer with Windows NT. When
> he tries to switch it off (Start>Turn Off Computer>Turn Off), the computer
> continues running and he has to power down with the On/Off switch.

It's not clear from your message if the system reboots (instead of displaying a
message that the computer may be turned off safely) or if you get this message
but you want the system to be powered down automatically.
Anyway - you are likely to find the answer here:

( http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/index.htm )
http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/softoff.htm

.... thanks to ZCM Services for maintaining this very useful site!

Stephan

Hi Karl-Stephan
When we click on the "Turn Off" icon the computer just keeps running, as if
we had not clicked on the Turn Off icon. As I said, the only way to power
down is with the ON/Off switch.
Clive

"Karl-Stephan Werkmeister" <kastwerk@web.de> wrote in message
> Clive wrote:
>>
>> A friend has just obtained a re-conditioned computer with Windows NT.
>> When
>> he tries to switch it off (Start>Turn Off Computer>Turn Off), the
>> computer
>> continues running and he has to power down with the On/Off switch.
>
> It's not clear from your message if the system reboots (instead of
> displaying a
> message that the computer may be turned off safely) or if you get this
> message
> but you want the system to be powered down automatically.
> Anyway - you are likely to find the answer here:
>
> ( http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/index.htm )
> http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/softoff.htm
>
> ... thanks to ZCM Services for maintaining this very useful site!
>

> Stephan

Clive;

Please keep in mind that if the machine is an older machine this is
perfectly normal behavior. In older AT class machines this is the norm. In
newer ATX class machines that have the proper power management features
supported in the BIOS the machine will turn itself off. If this machine is
an ATX class machine that supports APM make sure that it is enabled in the
BIOS.

Best regards,

Harley Henderson MCSE NT 4.0 / 2000 / 2003
Microsoft Enterprise Platform Support
Windows Server Setup Support Team

Microsoft Security Announcement: Have you installed the patch for Microsoft
Security Bulletin MS03-039? If not, Microsoft strongly advises you to
review the information at the following link regarding Microsoft Security
Bulletin MS03-039
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms03-039.asp and/or to
visit Windows Update at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to install the
patch. Running the Windows Update scan will help to insure you are current
with all security patches, not just MS03-039.

Microsoft also highly recommends to all customers that you visit the
steps listed to improve your computer's security.

--------------------
| From: "Clive" <anomynous@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Subject: Re: Computer will not turn off
| Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:29:07 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup
|
| Hi Karl-Stephan
| When we click on the "Turn Off" icon the computer just keeps running, as
if
| we had not clicked on the Turn Off icon. As I said, the only way to
power
| down is with the ON/Off switch.
| Clive
|
| "Karl-Stephan Werkmeister" <kastwerk@web.de> wrote in message
| > Clive wrote:
| >>
| >> A friend has just obtained a re-conditioned computer with Windows NT.
| >> When
| >> he tries to switch it off (Start>Turn Off Computer>Turn Off), the
| >> computer
| >> continues running and he has to power down with the On/Off switch.
| >
| > It's not clear from your message if the system reboots (instead of
| > displaying a
| > message that the computer may be turned off safely) or if you get this
| > message
| > but you want the system to be powered down automatically.
| > Anyway - you are likely to find the answer here:
| >
| > ( http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/index.htm )
| > http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/softoff.htm
| >
| > ... thanks to ZCM Services for maintaining this very useful site!
| >

| > Stephan

The guy has no response when he clicks on Turn Off. Sounds like IE or
service pack problem.
No-one ATX machine will turn off without replacing the HAL file.

Hi Jetro,
I haven't had time to try all the suggestions on my friends machine.
Exactly where will I find a replacement HAL file.

"Jetro" <somewhere@internet.space> wrote in message
> The guy has no response when he clicks on Turn Off. Sounds like IE or
> service pack problem.
> No-one ATX machine will turn off without replacing the HAL file.

The problem as described and HAL seems to me irrelevant. Anyway, the
hal.dll.softex file provides complete shutdown to ACPI-compliant machine.
Rename current hal.dll file, copy and rename (rename and copy) the
hal.dll.softex file, ensure
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\PowerdownAfterShutdown
is 1, and reboot.
You can extract the hal.dll.softex file from SP4 and above. Some old
machines suffer a side effect of this trick and they reboot instead of
powerdown but this is a BIOS problem yet.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I haven't worked on this computer since
I posted the original question. I will respond with my findings to your
suggestions at a later date.

"Clive" <anomynous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A friend has just obtained a re-conditioned computer with Windows NT. When
>he tries to switch it off (Start>Turn Off Computer>Turn Off), the computer
>continues running and he has to power down with the On/Off switch.
> Can anyone point us in the right direction to resolve this problem.
> Clive

Thank you Jetro, my friend's wife persuaded the company, from whom they
bought the computer, to accept a return for repair action (initially they
had threatened to charge a high fee for the repair but have now relented).

> The problem as described and HAL seems to me irrelevant. Anyway, the
> hal.dll.softex file provides complete shutdown to ACPI-compliant machine.
> Rename current hal.dll file, copy and rename (rename and copy) the
> hal.dll.softex file, ensure
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\PowerdownAfterShutdown
> is 1, and reboot.
> You can extract the hal.dll.softex file from SP4 and above. Some old
> machines suffer a side effect of this trick and they reboot instead of
> powerdown but this is a BIOS problem yet.

Ah... That's easier. I wonder how high a fee was set? :eek:)

Jetro wrote:

[...]
> You can extract the hal.dll.softex file from SP4 and above. Some old
> machines suffer a side effect of this trick and they reboot instead of
> powerdown but this is a BIOS problem yet.

This is dangerous, as described at http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/softoff.htm !
It may result in a BSOD at boot time. Make a new entry in boot.ini for the
alternative HAL instead.

Stephan

I agree caution and testing won't hurt but I've made the replacement on
thousands systems and never had single BSOD or other issues.