$500 Dollar gaming system question "build your own sect

jwally

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
Hi all

I just read the $500 pc article and have a few questions. I am going to use this mostly for my students to make slide shows for dvds and some video editing. Everything else will be normal surfing and processing use. I can use my case, ps (300 watt truepower), hard-drives (both ide but new) and optical drives (they are new also). On-board sound is ok for now and at some point I will get a video capture card (internal or external). I am assuming that a good gaming system will be ok for the above use. I have built several systems but not for 3 years or so. Final product will not be OCed.

1. Any comments on the ASRock brand motherboard? I have always used Asus boards with no trouble but none of them seem to have the features of this board. I have never heard of this brand. Any comments or recommendations?

2. More ram on the main board or on the video card (the recommended card has 256)? The budget may not allow both. I would like DVI output though as our LCD monitor can use it.

3. Will the AMD64 be compatible with all of our 32 bit software such as Proshow Gold (slideshow maker), MS Office, Photoshop 7, ect. ?

I need to keep the budget around the $400 mark.

Thanks for all answers and comments. The six systems I run now were built from advice on this board and we have never had any trouble with any of them.

JW

the_guru

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
1. Asrock is owned by Asus. It's their budget brand. The motherboard is well worth it's low cost. I have one for myself.

2. If you are not going to play games you can pick a cheaper video card.

3. AMD64 is completely compatible with all 32-bit applications.