Problem caused by Security Hotfix MS05-002

Calvin

Hi all,

I have just stumbled across a problem on a NT4 machine here. It appears that the
application of hotfix "MS05-002: Vulnerability in cursor and icon format
handling could allow remote code execution" (KB891711) BREAKS OpenGL on the machine.

I had been wondering why screensavers had been behaving in an erratic manner for
the last couple of weeks, and this was my first opportunity to investigate in
detail.

My suspicion is that the MS05-002 patch replacement of GDI32.dll is to blame,
since the OpenGL system relies on calls into this core module.

Would somebody else please try on their patched system and see if my fears are
founded - the easiest method is to attempt to 'Test' one of the OpenGL screen
savers from the Desktop Properties > ScreenSavers Tab.

BTW - the NT4 Reference site has been updated and expanded considerably over the
last month. If you haven't taken a look recently, please do so !
http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au

As always, constructive suggestions, additions, criticisms etc... are welcome.

Calvin.

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 16:23:38 +1000, Calvin <nospam@spamcop.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have just stumbled across a problem on a NT4 machine here. It appears
> that the application of hotfix "MS05-002: Vulnerability in cursor and
> icon format handling could allow remote code execution" (KB891711)
> BREAKS OpenGL on the machine.

Hi Calvin,

You're wright regarding broken OpenGL. I test it on 3D Molecules Viewer
and it complained about "SetPixelFormat failed" and quits with "OpenGL
init_failed" afterwards. But this "feature" of MS Security fixe seams to
come prior of KB8991711. I have replaced all "fixed" files with
pre-KB8991711 version to no avail. While I stepwise replaced security
fixes containing gdi32.dll et. comp., earliest working version appeared
prior to KB840987, back in october of 2004. This fix deals with "Remote
Code Execution" through various images - among other things.

So I'm "happy" now with new option MS has gave us - either Security or
OpenGL. Thanks MS!

Polikarp

Calvin

Hi Polikarp,

Thanks for your feedback - and your experiments. I took a wild guess and blamed
MS02-005 since it was the most recent hotfix that replaced GDI32.dll, but in
light of what you have said, I am obviously gonna have to look more closely at
this, so we can find out who the real culprit is.

At this stage however, such research is merely academic and in the interests of
accuracy and completeness. As you said, we have ZERO chance of getting Microsoft
to fix this now, so a nice parting shot from them: "Security or a working OpenGL
system, take your choice" :-( I know what I would like to call them (it's a
word that casts aspersions on their parentage, but that would just be rude !)

Calvin.

Support:
Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from
Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for
support calls that are associated with security updates.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Calvin" wrote:
| Hi all,
|
| I have just stumbled across a problem on a NT4 machine here. It appears
that the
| application of hotfix "MS05-002: Vulnerability in cursor and icon format
| handling could allow remote code execution" (KB891711) BREAKS OpenGL on
the machine.

| I had been wondering why screensavers had been behaving in an erratic
manner for
| the last couple of weeks, and this was my first opportunity to investigate
in
| detail.
|
| My suspicion is that the MS05-002 patch replacement of GDI32.dll is to
blame,
| since the OpenGL system relies on calls into this core module.
|
| Would somebody else please try on their patched system and see if my fears
are
| founded - the easiest method is to attempt to 'Test' one of the OpenGL
screen
| savers from the Desktop Properties > ScreenSavers Tab.
|
| BTW - the NT4 Reference site has been updated and expanded considerably
over the
| last month. If you haven't taken a look recently, please do so !
| http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au
|
| As always, constructive suggestions, additions, criticisms etc... are
welcome.

| Calvin.

Calvin

Hi Dave,

unfortunately, I'm half a world away in Australia, and Microsoft Australia don't
want to know about it - all you get is the standard "Windows NT4 is no longer
supported - upgrade" mantra - something I could well do without hearing frankly !

Update:

After running the patches on a few more machines, the pattern as to what brings
about the problems with OpenGL has actually become LESS clear - I'm now not
certain it is MS05-002 that is to blame - and the symptoms only seem to appear
on SOME systems. I'm reaching the conclusion that it is actually an interaction
between a recent hotfix (not sure which one though), NT 4 and the Video card
drivers. FURTHER INFO from ANYONE on this topic appreciated greatly !!

For most people this whole problem is really a bit of a 'storm in a teacup',
because OpenGL to a great degree is basically a dead standard anyway. The only
OpenGL my systems deal with is a few screen savers, which have been removed to
prevent their future use. Elsewise the system operates normally and all other
video features appear to function correctly.

Calvin.

io

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005

Hello Calvin,

I'm new to NT (~didn't care for XP at all). Thank You so much for your NT reference pages (you will see how important they are)!

I seem to have OpenGL working on an nVidia GeForce2 Go w/ the latest universal drivers from nVidia (-- thank you nVidia!).

The following MS updates and patches have been installed (note: this is a new install & is yet a work in progress):

NT 4.00.1381
SP6a

IE 6.0 SP1 Q833889; Q823353; Q889293
MS Data Access Components KB870669
MS VGX Q833989
Outlook Express Q823353
Win KB823559
Win KB840315
NT 4.0 Hotfixes:
Q299444 (SRP)
Q304158
Q312895
Q313829
Q318138
Q320206
Q323172
Q326830
Q810833
Q815021
Q817606
Q819696
NT 4.0 Workstation Hotfixes:
KB825119
KB828035
KB828741
KB835732
KB839645
KB841872

This list was taken from ADD/Remove programs list & about dialogues. The installation of the patches & updates was done through the Windows Update site (~ I now believe doing it this way may have been a mistake ~~). I suppose there could be other patches or updates (uninstallable) that are not listed here.

The patching/updating was all done within the last couple of days. With the exception of the two patches mentioned below (KB867801 & KB841873), this list represents essentially (afaik), if not completely, what was offered at Windows Update to patch a Windows NT 4.0 SP6a Workstation w/IE 6.0 SP1 installed. (As yet, there are no 3rd party apps other than a firewall & virus protection installed on the machine.)

Perhaps this information is of some use to you? I hope it is. So far, at least with the updates mentioned, the OpenGL on this machine works.

Perhaps too, my list is incomplete? After I get the Sysinternals tool you recommended, I most likely could make a better list, if you wish.

///////////////////////////// >additional comments:

One item installed by Windows Update I uninstalled: Security update 889293 (because, on reading its description, it appeared to apply to NT 4.0 SERVER). Then, on reading a bit more & reconsidering, I re-installed it. Perhaps I missed where it indicates NT 4.0 Workstation, or, perhaps, the distinction is not relevant here? On the whole, all of this is confusing/confused to say the least. Same is true for the MS05-002 patch (-- it did not appear to apply to NT 4.0 Workstation) -- so do I apply it or not?

Two patches that were on the list of downloads at Windows Update would not install:
KB867801 (cumu. update for IE6 SP1 -- giving the error that ~ "IE 6 SP1 must be installed ... etc." -- It _is_ installed!?)
KB841873 (errors with: ~"NT4.0 SP6a must be installed...etc." -- It _is_ installed!?).

I have, as yet, not found the patch, 307866 (srp repair tool --- the link in the MS article references a general index page), but haven't made a thorough search yet.

Softex drivers associated w/3Com mini PCI combo Modem/NIC give error on startup (as expected), but I don't need or know too much about the Network -- modem part of this combo appears to work fine. I suppose I'll be able to fix this when I understand it a little better?

As queried in another newsgroup, I have some sort of error in the setup: the geneal dialogue of system properties reports an incorrect value for the version of IE 6 SP1: instead of "IE 6.0.2800.1106", it reads, "IE 5 6.0.2800.1106". I don't know whether/how significant this error is or how it might be fixed. (I guess I did something bad to create this ....)

Otherwise, this setup is working great (so far), without any indication of instability.

io

"Calvin" <nospam@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:4213cd71$1@duster.adelaide.on.net...
> Hi Dave,
>
> unfortunately, I'm half a world away in Australia, and Microsoft Australia don't
> want to know about it - all you get is the standard "Windows NT4 is no longer
> supported - upgrade" mantra - something I could well do without hearing frankly !
>

> Update:
>
> After running the patches on a few more machines, the pattern as to what brings
> about the problems with OpenGL has actually become LESS clear - I'm now not
> certain it is MS05-002 that is to blame - and the symptoms only seem to appear
> on SOME systems. I'm reaching the conclusion that it is actually an interaction
> between a recent hotfix (not sure which one though), NT 4 and the Video card
> drivers. FURTHER INFO from ANYONE on this topic appreciated greatly !!
>
> For most people this whole problem is really a bit of a 'storm in a teacup',
> because OpenGL to a great degree is basically a dead standard anyway. The only
> OpenGL my systems deal with is a few screen savers, which have been removed to
> prevent their future use. Elsewise the system operates normally and all other
> video features appear to function correctly.
>
> Calvin.

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 08:47:13 +1000, Calvin <nospam@spamcop.net> wrote:

Hi Calvin,

I have identified a culprit (just for completness - I don't want to
stretch this issue). It is Win32k.sys file/driver. Last Good One (with the
size and date stamp) was

Win32k.sys 1.255.152 07.01.04

Bad boys (size/date):

1.255.472 03.08.04 (KB8991711)
1.255.568 25.12.04

It also occured to me that, considering a role of this file, some
video-driver initiation failed. I have an ATI Radeon 7500 card with the
latest drivers ATI was willing to provide (almost 3 years ago,
v.4.3.4035). As Io mentioned previously, he has Nvidia card and no
problems - so maybe ATI will help ? If only they could remember an OS with
such a name.

It is sad to hear OpenGL is dead, because it was alternative to DirectX
(NT and DX ... ouch !).

Polikarp

io

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005

Hi Polikarp,

I see that my Win32k.sys is still the "good one", as I have not yet installed KB8991711. So perhaps, not such a good test case.

You made a good observation, and I'll consider carefully before installing more updates.

Security ? ... well, yes, it's important & I'll do my best, & I wish Microsoft would slow down & really concentrate on making the past & present code more secure rather than always rushing headlong into unknown territory for the sake of novelty & marketshare.

As Paul Virilio has pointed out, "the invention of the railway results automatically in the invention of the derailment".

io

~~~~

"Polikarp" <_no_spam_!_zpcolchicum@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eek:psmenzqluq3z2uw@closingtime...
[...]

Thankyou very much for the information ! I hadn't considered replacement of
Win32k as being the cause of this, but when you pointed it out, it suddenly
becomes really obvious !!! - me bad for not considering this previously :-(

That still leaves us in the unenviable position of 'time for a choice': a
secure system and broken OpenGL, or working OpenGL and a potential security hole !!!

THANKS HEAPS MICROSOFT ! I've predicted that they would find some way to try
to convince everyone to upgrade away from NT 4.0 - looks like my prophecy is now
coming to fruition :-(

I suppose we now need to look at precisely what a regression of Win32k to a
'non-broken' version will do, as far a compatibility and stability of a system
and potential security risks are concerned.

Calvin.

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 10:16:41 +1000, Calvin <nospam@spamcop.net> wrote:

Hi, Calvin

> I suppose we now need to look at precisely what a regression of Win32k
> to a 'non-broken' version will do, as far a compatibility and stability
> of a system and potential security risks are concerned.

I have done exactly that a few days ago and everything works as usual. No
problems with video/graphics related applications nor with any "everyday"
programs. I can live with that.

Sure, few security holes related to offending file could still be opened -
but there are much more still to come, never to be plugged. C'est la vie
.... with MS.

Polikarp