Help with Nvidia 7800 & AMD X2 3800+

kremian

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
My friend recently built himself a new sytem with dual AMD 3800+ 64 bit processors and a Nvidia 7800 GTX card and has been having some isue running older games like Warcraft 3 (when he attempts to scroll, he jumps from one side of the map to the other instantly), but has no problem running newer games like Halflife 2 and FEAR. I've been looking around for some solutions for him, and I've heard that it is an incompatability error between the processor and the motherboard, and it only seems to be with that exact setup.

Can anyone verify this for me? And is there a fix? Obviously updating the nvidia drivers hasn't done anything for us.. so, do you have any advice?

I'm considering building a system like this myself, any recommendations to avoid having similar problems with these (unknown and possibly just unreal) nvidia/amd issues?

Thanks.

pat

Expert
My friend recently built himself a new sytem with dual AMD 3800+ 64 bit processors and a Nvidia 7800 GTX card and has been having some isue running older games like Warcraft 3 (when he attempts to scroll, he jumps from one side of the map to the other instantly), but has no problem running newer games like Halflife 2 and FEAR. I've been looking around for some solutions for him, and I've heard that it is an incompatability error between the processor and the motherboard, and it only seems to be with that exact setup.

Can anyone verify this for me? And is there a fix? Obviously updating the nvidia drivers hasn't done anything for us.. so, do you have any advice?

I'm considering building a system like this myself, any recommendations to avoid having similar problems with these (unknown and possibly just unreal) nvidia/amd issues?

Thanks.

That's bullshit. A CPU cannot be incompatible to it's motherboard.. A motherboard is designed for a CPU... No, it's most likely an incompatibility with DUAL CORE CPU and older apps. Might want to set affinity to 1 core for its game. Microsoft has a dual core patch that could fix that.

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Way harsh PAT <---- :evil:
Could be a mouse driver issue as well. There is no issue with the 3800X2 and the motherboard. If there was a compatability you would probly smell something burning and or not turning on at all.

kremian

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
I didn't think that it would be something like that, like I said above, it is just what I had heard.

Thanks for the tip about the dual core patch, and we'll see if it helps!

Thanks