New Computer Suggestions

Hi everyone

I am looking at buying a Dell PC in the next couple of weeks, and i was
wondering what specifications i should be getting looking at for my flight
simulator.

Would someone please mind telling writing down the specifications for me on
here.

thanks for the help

happy flying :)

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:34:12 +1100, "Cameron"
<cameronpeters@optusnet.com.au> postulated :
>Hi everyone
>
>I am looking at buying a Dell PC in the next couple of weeks, and i was
>wondering what specifications i should be getting looking at for my flight
>simulator.
>
>Would someone please mind telling writing down the specifications for me on
>here.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/pc/flightsimulator.aspx#sysreqs

(Good luck with the Dell rebate.)

GREGORY

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:34:12 +1100, "Cameron"
<cameronpeters@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our
attention:

>Hi everyone
>
>I am looking at buying a Dell PC in the next couple of weeks, and i was
>wondering what specifications i should be getting looking at for my flight
>simulator.
>
>Would someone please mind [telling] writing down the specifications for
>me on here.. thanks for the help
>
>happy flying :)

As much CPU, RAM, and front bus speed as you can get at a descent
price. 1GB of RAM is advised for Sim these days... even 2x-256M plus
2x-128M modules. Also a hi-end video card for gaming. If Dell bundles
the video card then it will likely interoperate fine.

In fact I'm still using the same Dell-OEM video card even today!!

Here's a tip.. look at Dell Outlet.. it's at [Small Business] link
then read over carefully for the OUTLET hyperlink. You can
save 100's on a system that is fully warrantied.

-Gregory

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

dont worry all newish pc's will run it just fine,just make sure it has at a
least 64 meg card ,and that its not a intergrated 1 :)
"Cameron" <cameronpeters@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi everyone
>
> I am looking at buying a Dell PC in the next couple of weeks, and i was
> wondering what specifications i should be getting looking at for my flight
> simulator.
>
> Would someone please mind telling writing down the specifications for me
> on here.
>
> thanks for the help
>
> happy flying :)

These are my minimums.
2GZ CPU
1GB RAM - MATCHED - test it when you get it.
128MB video card
go PCI Express if you can afford it
The card is the interface to what you see on screen. FS9 is a visual experience. See the connection.
FS9 simply chooses not to display things when it vid card can't keep up.
80 GB hard drive you can add another later
Go with a nice fast CRT monitor unless you have another reason to go with LCD in which case get the best you can.
Get a real sound card not the integrated one it usually comes with.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Cameron" <cameronpeters@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:42434e74$0$5187$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
> Hi everyone
>
> I am looking at buying a Dell PC in the next couple of weeks, and i was
> wondering what specifications i should be getting looking at for my flight
> simulator.
>
> Would someone please mind telling writing down the specifications for me on
> here.
>
> thanks for the help
>
> happy flying :)

william

I got a Dell 8400 3.4ghz with 1GB RAM. At the time it came with an ATI PCI
Express X300 which was ok but I have since replaced it with an ATI X700 pro
pci express. All I can tell you is WOW!

So my suggestion is get the most powerful system your $$$ can afford. And
compare with Gateway, they also have some good specs. Who knows what the
next FS will require. Not talking about what MS recommends because that's
always a joke.

Good luck
Bill

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:40:07 -0500

http://www.microsoft.com/games/pc/flightsimulator.aspx#sysreqs

(Good luck with the Dell rebate.)

No offense Greasy, but here is what it states:

* Microsoftr Windowsr 98/Me/XP/2000

We're okay here.

* PC with 450 MHz equivalent or higher processor

Well er... I have successfully ran FS9 (FS2004) from as little as a PIII
533E before with a nice video card. Although a 1.2GHZ will please you
far better. Of course 2G and 3G will even please you even more.

* 128 MB of system RAM for 2000/XP, 64 MB RAM for 98/Me

Windows 2000/XP can't even run itself well while NotePad is running
within 128MB. 256MB bare minimum! And with 386MB it starts getting far
better. And better yet with 512MB or greater.

* 1.8 GB available hard disk space

Funny I just reinstalled FS9 from scratch and to have everything fit, it
had taken:
2.67 GB (2,868,089,583 bytes)

* 4x speed or faster CD-ROM drive

You only need a CD drive to install it. So if you did it with a 1x speed
I guess that would work too.

* 8 MB video card required

I tried this over and over with a 11MB video card. And I wouldn't call 1
or 2 FPS as flyable.

* Sound card, speakers or headphones required for audio

Pretty much okay there.

* Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

You can't even fly with a mouse anymore. They really need to mention
about some sort of joystick, yoke device.

* 56.6 Kbps or better modem for online play

I can't say here. I've only tried it under 1.5Mbps.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000

Those are just minimums. Which will barely run FS9.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

Carl Frisk wrote:
> These are my minimums.
> 2GZ CPU
> 1GB RAM - MATCHED - test it when you get it.
> 128MB video card go PCI Express if you can afford it
> The card is the interface to what you see on screen. FS9 is a visual
> experience. See the connection. FS9 simply chooses not to display
> things when it vid card can't keep up.
> 80 GB hard drive you can add another later
> Go with a nice fast CRT monitor unless you have another reason to go
> with LCD in which case get the best you can.
> Get a real sound card not the integrated one it usually comes with.

My system is 1.3gz cpu, 664 mb ram, 32mb onboard video. To get FS9
to run at all I have to have display settings very low:( When I bought
my machine I wasn't into gaming so frontside bus wasn't an issue, I have
200mz. 800mz front side bus is a good addon to the above. Ram speed is
another thing to look for also, faster the better.

Mike

I would purchase the following DELL:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/featured_dp_desktop4_4?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

<Greasy Rider© @invalid.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:34:12 +1100, "Cameron"
> <cameronpeters@optusnet.com.au> postulated :
> >Hi everyone
> >
> >I am looking at buying a Dell PC in the next couple of weeks, and i was
> >wondering what specifications i should be getting looking at for my
flight
> >simulator.
> >
> >Would someone please mind telling writing down the specifications for me
on
> >here.
>

> http://www.microsoft.com/games/pc/flightsimulator.aspx#sysreqs
>
> (Good luck with the Dell rebate.)

Yes good advice.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 01:22:53 GMT, Carl Frisk wrote:

> Those are just minimums. Which will barely run FS9.

Correction, a computer with those specs will barely run WinXP! ;)

Bill

:) How true!

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Bill Leaming" <n4gix@comcast.net> wrote in message news:yo5vv7p9uk9n$.caq2ebgc441e$.dlg@40tude.net...
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 01:22:53 GMT, Carl Frisk wrote:
>
>> Those are just minimums. Which will barely run FS9.
>
> Correction, a computer with those specs will barely run WinXP! ;)
>
> Bill

I got the same PC 2 weeks ago, a Dell 8400 with 1 GB ram and a Nvidia
6800 GT card. Runs good and runs much better now that I disabled DEP
in XP. DEP was intermittently causing Windows Explorer to close, and
talking to Dell Tech support they suggested turning off DEP for that
program. I decided that I already had a good firewall and Virus
protect, so I switched of DEP for everything. The machine runs much
smoother and faster after switching off DEP. Your mileage may vary.

Bob

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 01:34:20 -0500, "William" <alone@home.com> wrote:

>I got a Dell 8400 3.4ghz with 1GB RAM. At the time it came with an ATI PCI
>Express X300 which was ok but I have since replaced it with an ATI X700 pro
>pci express. All I can tell you is WOW!
>
>So my suggestion is get the most powerful system your $$$ can afford. And
>compare with Gateway, they also have some good specs. Who knows what the
>next FS will require. Not talking about what MS recommends because that's
>always a joke.
>
>Good luck
>Bill
>
>"Cameron" <cameronpeters@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> I am looking at buying a Dell PC in the next couple of weeks, and i was
>> wondering what specifications i should be getting looking at for my flight
>> simulator.
>>
>> Would someone please mind telling writing down the specifications for me
>> on here.
>>
>> thanks for the help
>>
>> happy flying :)

william

I do not know much about DEP. How do you turn it off? I am googling for it
in the mean time. Thanks
Bill

"Bob Cordone" <nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>I got the same PC 2 weeks ago, a Dell 8400 with 1 GB ram and a Nvidia
> 6800 GT card. Runs good and runs much better now that I disabled DEP
> in XP. DEP was intermittently causing Windows Explorer to close, and
> talking to Dell Tech support they suggested turning off DEP for that
> program. I decided that I already had a good firewall and Virus
> protect, so I switched of DEP for everything. The machine runs much
> smoother and faster after switching off DEP. Your mileage may vary.
>
> Bob
>

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 01:34:20 -0500, "William" <alone@home.com> wrote:
>
>>I got a Dell 8400 3.4ghz with 1GB RAM. At the time it came with an ATI PCI
>>Express X300 which was ok but I have since replaced it with an ATI X700
>>pro
>>pci express. All I can tell you is WOW!
>>
>>So my suggestion is get the most powerful system your $$$ can afford. And
>>compare with Gateway, they also have some good specs. Who knows what the
>>next FS will require. Not talking about what MS recommends because that's
>>always a joke.
>>
>>Good luck
>>Bill
>>
>>"Cameron" <cameronpeters@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>>> Hi everyone
>>>
>>> I am looking at buying a Dell PC in the next couple of weeks, and i was
>>> wondering what specifications i should be getting looking at for my
>>> flight
>>> simulator.
>>>
>>> Would someone please mind telling writing down the specifications for me
>>> on here.
>>>
>>> thanks for the help
>>>
>>> happy flying :)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/windowsxp/depcnfxp.mspx#ECAA

Bob

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:50:41 -0500, "William" <alone@home.com> wrote:

>I do not know much about DEP. How do you turn it off? I am googling for it
>in the mean time. Thanks
>Bill
>

>"Bob Cordone" <nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>I got the same PC 2 weeks ago, a Dell 8400 with 1 GB ram and a Nvidia
>> 6800 GT card. Runs good and runs much better now that I disabled DEP
>> in XP. DEP was intermittently causing Windows Explorer to close, and
>> talking to Dell Tech support they suggested turning off DEP for that
>> program. I decided that I already had a good firewall and Virus
>> protect, so I switched of DEP for everything. The machine runs much
>> smoother and faster after switching off DEP. Your mileage may vary.
>>
>> Bob
>>

>> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 01:34:20 -0500, "William" <alone@home.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I got a Dell 8400 3.4ghz with 1GB RAM. At the time it came with an ATI PCI
>>>Express X300 which was ok but I have since replaced it with an ATI X700
>>>pro
>>>pci express. All I can tell you is WOW!
>>>
>>>So my suggestion is get the most powerful system your $$$ can afford. And
>>>compare with Gateway, they also have some good specs. Who knows what the
>>>next FS will require. Not talking about what MS recommends because that's
>>>always a joke.
>>>
>>>Good luck
>>>Bill
>>>
>>>"Cameron" <cameronpeters@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

william

> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/windowsxp/depcnfxp.mspx#ECAA
>
> Bob
>

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:50:41 -0500, "William" <alone@home.com> wrote:
>
>>I do not know much about DEP. How do you turn it off? I am googling for it
>>in the mean time. Thanks
>>Bill
>>

>>"Bob Cordone" <nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>>I got the same PC 2 weeks ago, a Dell 8400 with 1 GB ram and a Nvidia
>>> 6800 GT card. Runs good and runs much better now that I disabled DEP
>>> in XP. DEP was intermittently causing Windows Explorer to close, and
>>> talking to Dell Tech support they suggested turning off DEP for that
>>> program. I decided that I already had a good firewall and Virus
>>> protect, so I switched of DEP for everything. The machine runs much
>>> smoother and faster after switching off DEP. Your mileage may vary.
>>>
>>> Bob

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:40:07 -0500, Greasy Rider© @invalid.com wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:34:12 +1100, "Cameron"
><cameronpeters@optusnet.com.au> postulated :
>>Hi everyone
>>
>>I am looking at buying a Dell PC in the next couple of weeks, and i was
>>wondering what specifications i should be getting looking at for my flight
>>simulator.
>>
>>Would someone please mind telling writing down the specifications for me on
>>here.
>

>http://www.microsoft.com/games/pc/flightsimulator.aspx#sysreqs
>
>(Good luck with the Dell rebate.)
My Dell rebate came in less than 3 weeks..
Chuck..

Have you checked out the Dimension XPS?

Comes with a PCI-Express Graphics and SATA hard drive. Should be fast
enough to start with :)