printing over a network

I have a home network, connected via a DLink router model DI704P. This
unit has an input for my DSL modem, four LAN connections, a serial port
for a dialup modem, and a parallel port for a printer.

I have gone through all the hoops trying to get it to print. My printer
will print connected directly to the parallel port on my computer, but I
have been unable to find the right setup for printing over the network
under Linux. Printing under Windows 98 works just fine, acts as if were
connected directly to the computer.

I got it to print during one session on my computer, but the
setup/configuration did not survive a reboot. Something permanently
changed. I even reinstalled the OS, (PCLOS - a derivative of Mandrake)
except I kept my /home directory and all its contents.

Technical support at D-Link so far has been useless. They don't seem to
have a clue about Linux or Unix. All the instruction documentation for
the router says its address is 192.168.0.1 and its parallel port is "lp"
I have written this adddress as 192.168.0.1/lp and 192.168.0.1:lp and
nothing seems to work.

What are the names of the various printing configuration files used under
linux? Since it worked once, I'm wondering if something remained in my
/home directory related to this that didn't get regenerated in the
reinstallation.

"wayne winget" <wayne1932@juno.com> wrote in message

> I have a home network, connected via a DLink router model DI704P. This
> unit has an input for my DSL modem, four LAN connections, a serial port
> for a dialup modem, and a parallel port for a printer.
>
> I have gone through all the hoops trying to get it to print. My printer
> will print connected directly to the parallel port on my computer, but I
> have been unable to find the right setup for printing over the network
> under Linux. Printing under Windows 98 works just fine, acts as if were
> connected directly to the computer.
>
> I got it to print during one session on my computer, but the
> setup/configuration did not survive a reboot. Something permanently
> changed. I even reinstalled the OS, (PCLOS - a derivative of Mandrake)
> except I kept my /home directory and all its contents.
>
> Technical support at D-Link so far has been useless. They don't seem to
> have a clue about Linux or Unix. All the instruction documentation for
> the router says its address is 192.168.0.1 and its parallel port is "lp"
> I have written this adddress as 192.168.0.1/lp and 192.168.0.1:lp and
> nothing seems to work.
>
> What are the names of the various printing configuration files used under
> linux? Since it worked once, I'm wondering if something remained in my
> /home directory related to this that didn't get regenerated in the
> reinstallation.

try using 192.168.0.1:515

TRENDING THREADS