XP Home & Remote Desktop

I've just installed a Neatgear DG834G asdl/router.
I have a desktop and a laptop connected wirelessly to it.
I was wondering if it is possible to remote desktop between the two?
Or do I have to be networked differently with XPHome, and actually have each
computer sign-on, like with an ordinary network?
Thanks for any help
Paul
7 answers Last reply
More about home remote desktop

    XP Home does not support Remote Desktop. However, you can easily enable
    file and printer sharing between two XP Home machines with your your current
    setup:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813936/

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    "Zneet" <Zneet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've just installed a Neatgear DG834G asdl/router.
    > I have a desktop and a laptop connected wirelessly to it.
    > I was wondering if it is possible to remote desktop between the two?
    > Or do I have to be networked differently with XPHome, and actually have
    each
    > computer sign-on, like with an ordinary network?
    > Thanks for any help
    > Paul

    Then why under Accessories/Communications, is there an icon for Remote Desktop
    that brings up a connection window?

    "Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:

    > XP Home does not support Remote Desktop. However, you can easily enable
    > file and printer sharing between two XP Home machines with your your current
    > setup:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813936/
    >
    > Doug Sherman
    > MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
    >
    > "Zneet" <Zneet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've just installed a Neatgear DG834G asdl/router.
    > > I have a desktop and a laptop connected wirelessly to it.
    > > I was wondering if it is possible to remote desktop between the two?
    > > Or do I have to be networked differently with XPHome, and actually have
    > each
    > > computer sign-on, like with an ordinary network?
    > > Thanks for any help
    > > Paul

    Because Home can remote 'into' a computer (be the client) but not be remoted
    into from another computer (be the server). You would need to install Pro on
    the machine that you want to act as a server for remote connections. Unless
    you have some reason to actually execute applications one machine while
    sitting at the other, file and print sharing will let you have access to the
    files and printers on each machine. If you need to remotely run applications
    on the other machine and can't install Pro on that machine, you can try
    UltraVNC or TightVNC.
    --
    Nill

    "Zneet" wrote:

    > Then why under Accessories/Communications, is there an icon for Remote Desktop
    > that brings up a connection window?
    >
    > "Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > XP Home does not support Remote Desktop. However, you can easily enable
    > > file and printer sharing between two XP Home machines with your your current
    > > setup:
    > >
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813936/
    > >
    > > Doug Sherman
    > > MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
    > >
    > > "Zneet" <Zneet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I've just installed a Neatgear DG834G asdl/router.
    > > > I have a desktop and a laptop connected wirelessly to it.
    > > > I was wondering if it is possible to remote desktop between the two?
    > > > Or do I have to be networked differently with XPHome, and actually have
    > > each
    > > > computer sign-on, like with an ordinary network?
    > > > Thanks for any help
    > > > Paul

    Thank you Nill
    Would RealVNC work? as I doo need to run apps
    Paul

    "Nill" wrote:

    > Because Home can remote 'into' a computer (be the client) but not be remoted
    > into from another computer (be the server). You would need to install Pro on
    > the machine that you want to act as a server for remote connections. Unless
    > you have some reason to actually execute applications one machine while
    > sitting at the other, file and print sharing will let you have access to the
    > files and printers on each machine. If you need to remotely run applications
    > on the other machine and can't install Pro on that machine, you can try
    > UltraVNC or TightVNC.
    > --
    > Nill
    >

    > "Zneet" wrote:
    >
    > > Then why under Accessories/Communications, is there an icon for Remote Desktop
    > > that brings up a connection window?
    > >
    > > "Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > > > XP Home does not support Remote Desktop. However, you can easily enable
    > > > file and printer sharing between two XP Home machines with your your current
    > > > setup:
    > > >
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813936/
    > > >
    > > > Doug Sherman
    > > > MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
    > > >
    > > > "Zneet" <Zneet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > each

    Hi
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/vnc.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Doug Sherman [MVP]" <dsherman@notampabayspamforme.rr.com> wrote in message
    > XP Home does not support Remote Desktop. However, you can easily enable
    > file and printer sharing between two XP Home machines with your your
    > current
    > setup:

    Wonder if Remote Assistance would do? Eg, it gives you a session over which
    you can control the other computer. A bit fiddly but I have done it between
    2 XP Home users over a network when needed.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    "Nill" <Nill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Because Home can remote 'into' a computer (be the client) but not be
    > remoted
    > into from another computer (be the server). You would need to install Pro
    > on
    > the machine that you want to act as a server for remote connections.
    > Unless
    > you have some reason to actually execute applications one machine while
    > sitting at the other, file and print sharing will let you have access to
    > the
    > files and printers on each machine. If you need to remotely run
    > applications
    > on the other machine and can't install Pro on that machine, you can try
    > UltraVNC or TightVNC.

    .....also PC Anywhere if you have it.

Remote Desktop Windows XP Wireless Networking