XP Home & Remote Desktop

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 15, 2005 12:58:02 PM

I've just installed a Neatgear DG834G asdl/router.
I have a desktop and a laptop connected wirelessly to it.
I was wondering if it is possible to remote desktop between the two?
Or do I have to be networked differently with XPHome, and actually have each
computer sign-on, like with an ordinary network?
Thanks for any help
Paul

More about : home remote desktop

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 4:28:43 PM

XP Home does not support Remote Desktop. However, you can easily enable
file and printer sharing between two XP Home machines with your your current
setup:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813936/

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"Zneet" <Zneet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've just installed a Neatgear DG834G asdl/router.
> I have a desktop and a laptop connected wirelessly to it.
> I was wondering if it is possible to remote desktop between the two?
> Or do I have to be networked differently with XPHome, and actually have
each
> computer sign-on, like with an ordinary network?
> Thanks for any help
> Paul
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 4:28:44 PM

Then why under Accessories/Communications, is there an icon for Remote Desktop
that brings up a connection window?

"Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:

> XP Home does not support Remote Desktop. However, you can easily enable
> file and printer sharing between two XP Home machines with your your current
> setup:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813936/
>
> Doug Sherman
> MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>
> "Zneet" <Zneet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've just installed a Neatgear DG834G asdl/router.
> > I have a desktop and a laptop connected wirelessly to it.
> > I was wondering if it is possible to remote desktop between the two?
> > Or do I have to be networked differently with XPHome, and actually have
> each
> > computer sign-on, like with an ordinary network?
> > Thanks for any help
> > Paul

September 15, 2005 4:28:45 PM

Because Home can remote 'into' a computer (be the client) but not be remoted
into from another computer (be the server). You would need to install Pro on
the machine that you want to act as a server for remote connections. Unless
you have some reason to actually execute applications one machine while
sitting at the other, file and print sharing will let you have access to the
files and printers on each machine. If you need to remotely run applications
on the other machine and can't install Pro on that machine, you can try
UltraVNC or TightVNC.
--
Nill

"Zneet" wrote:

> Then why under Accessories/Communications, is there an icon for Remote Desktop
> that brings up a connection window?
>
> "Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > XP Home does not support Remote Desktop. However, you can easily enable
> > file and printer sharing between two XP Home machines with your your current
> > setup:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813936/
> >
> > Doug Sherman
> > MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
> >
> > "Zneet" <Zneet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I've just installed a Neatgear DG834G asdl/router.
> > > I have a desktop and a laptop connected wirelessly to it.
> > > I was wondering if it is possible to remote desktop between the two?
> > > Or do I have to be networked differently with XPHome, and actually have
> > each
> > > computer sign-on, like with an ordinary network?
> > > Thanks for any help
> > > Paul

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 4:28:46 PM

Thank you Nill
Would RealVNC work? as I doo need to run apps
Paul

"Nill" wrote:

> Because Home can remote 'into' a computer (be the client) but not be remoted
> into from another computer (be the server). You would need to install Pro on
> the machine that you want to act as a server for remote connections. Unless
> you have some reason to actually execute applications one machine while
> sitting at the other, file and print sharing will let you have access to the
> files and printers on each machine. If you need to remotely run applications
> on the other machine and can't install Pro on that machine, you can try
> UltraVNC or TightVNC.
> --
> Nill
>

> "Zneet" wrote:
>
> > Then why under Accessories/Communications, is there an icon for Remote Desktop
> > that brings up a connection window?
> >
> > "Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > XP Home does not support Remote Desktop. However, you can easily enable
> > > file and printer sharing between two XP Home machines with your your current
> > > setup:
> > >
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813936/
> > >
> > > Doug Sherman
> > > MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
> > >
> > > "Zneet" <Zneet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > each

September 15, 2005 8:02:45 PM

Hi
May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/vnc.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

> Thank you Nill
> Would RealVNC work? as I doo need to run apps
> Paul
>
> "Nill" wrote:
>
> > Because Home can remote 'into' a computer (be the client) but not be
remoted
> > into from another computer (be the server). You would need to install
Pro on
> > the machine that you want to act as a server for remote connections.
Unless
> > you have some reason to actually execute applications one machine while
> > sitting at the other, file and print sharing will let you have access to
the
> > files and printers on each machine. If you need to remotely run
applications
> > on the other machine and can't install Pro on that machine, you can try
> > UltraVNC or TightVNC.
> > --
> > Nill
> >

> > "Zneet" wrote:
> >
> > > Then why under Accessories/Communications, is there an icon for Remote
Desktop
> > > that brings up a connection window?

September 19, 2005 11:34:27 AM

"Doug Sherman [MVP]" <dsherman@notampabayspamforme.rr.com> wrote in message
> XP Home does not support Remote Desktop. However, you can easily enable
> file and printer sharing between two XP Home machines with your your
> current
> setup:

Wonder if Remote Assistance would do? Eg, it gives you a session over which
you can control the other computer. A bit fiddly but I have done it between
2 XP Home users over a network when needed.
September 19, 2005 11:35:51 AM

"Nill" <Nill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Because Home can remote 'into' a computer (be the client) but not be
> remoted
> into from another computer (be the server). You would need to install Pro
> on
> the machine that you want to act as a server for remote connections.
> Unless
> you have some reason to actually execute applications one machine while
> sitting at the other, file and print sharing will let you have access to
> the
> files and printers on each machine. If you need to remotely run
> applications
> on the other machine and can't install Pro on that machine, you can try
> UltraVNC or TightVNC.

.....also PC Anywhere if you have it.
!