new speakers + sound card

nato

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2004
I'm thinking of purchasing an x-fi to use instead of realtek onboard sound. However, I'm wondering if I'm going to need a set of new speakers as well in order to really notice a difference. I'm currently using an old pair of cambridge soundworks digital 2.1 speakers.

So would a speaker upgrade be in order? And if I do upgrade my speakers, are there 2.1 setups that will work well (I'm particularly thinking of EAX in games here) or should I make the leap to 5.1? I really don't want to spend too much money, but I would like to have a nicer setup than I currently have. But seeing as I'm no audiophile, it doesn't have to be top notch. I've been looking at the logitech z-5500 digital speakers...but I'm not sure if I have room for a 5.1 setup, and am wondering if I should stick w/ 2.1...

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
You want to make that X-Fi purchase worthwhile? : )

Go to Costco and pick up the Klipsch iFi for $200. It's a nice 2.1 package composed of HT parts; the RSX-3 satellites are $300 a pair alone, plus you get a sub and an ipod docking station. Quite a deal if you ask me.

nato

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2004
I really don't want to spend more than $150 at the most, but I'd prefer closer to $100. I'm definitely also leaning toward getting 2.1 speakers the more I think about it, because I don't have the space for 5.1s, and don't want to really spend the money required for nice 5.1s.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Then save some $$ and get somthing with two-way loudspeaker! Much better for the ears 8)

The way I see it, if your going to buy a sweet soundcard, might as well get some sweet speakers. I would not waste my money on anything less than klipsch 8)

I would save and get these http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=103

Better extension in the low and high range than the creative set. Also if you so desire you can buy another pair in the future and make it a 4.2 system for some added punch! Or double up on the stereo! But for the price of both of those, you can get the Ultras! I just like to ramble.

nato

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2004
I see a lot of talk about the logitech z-2300s as a good and affordable 2.1 setup. How do they perform compared to the klipsch? I guess you think the klipsch are worth the extra money, in any case?

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Look at it this way, If you will be satisfied with cheap speakers, then why do you want an expensive soundcard? IMO: If I was to get cheap speakers, I would get somthing like the Audigy2 value or somthing.

Also you are kind-of wasting the cards potential with its good music upmixing and stuff like that! Also, unless you have some nice headphones, those EAX features wont be that beneficial either with just a 2.1 system.

You will however pick up a couple of FPS