Cannot install BDC-Domain controller cannot be located

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
March 19, 2005 2:15:02 PM

I am trying to add a BDC to an NT 4.0, SP6a network. (No BDC or other member
server had previously existed on this domain, lnly the PDC.) The main
location of the network equipment is at our office, with the PDC temporarily
at my home office for hardware upgrades. (The two locations are connected via
"NextNet wireless VPN routers".) (During the upgrade, no changes were made to
the PDC operating system, other than updating from SP4 to SP6a. No changes
made to PDC name or network name. Hardware upgrades made: new CPUs, RAM and
HDDs, and addition of another ATA controller card.) I am trying to install a
BDC here at the home office (where the PDC is also currently located). With
the PDC on-line, I've tried to install the server software on the BDC, and
when I get to the point of entering the computer name, domain, administrator
name and password, I get the message, "The domain controller for this domain
cannot be located." That's all the further I can get, and I've tried
starting the install over several times, all with the same ending point. THe
PDC can see and access all other clients and members of the domain (and vice
versa), but when I type "nslookup <mydomain>.com" (on a member XP Pro
machine), I get "Cannot find server name for address 192.168.X.XXX (the home
office router's addy): non-existent domain
Default servers are not available."

Are these problems because the PDC has been moved from the main office to
the remote location? Do I need to change some network settings to accomodate
the different router or is there someting else I'm doing wrong? Any help
will be GREATLY appreciated, and I'll try to supply more detailed info if
needed. Thank you very much!
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 2:10:08 AM

Hi Kate,
Are you manually entering the tcp/ip configuration
on the new BDC making sure it's on the same subnet
as the PDC? If the BDC is on a different subnet than
the PDC then you'll need WINS in order for the BDC
to find the PDC. If they are on the same subnet then I
would think the NIC is not working properly or the
driver you are using is out of date. As for the nslookup
on the XP machine the output is expected on a downlevel
domain such as NT 4.0 which doesn't use XP for name
to tcp/ip address translation.

"kate" <kate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
>I am trying to add a BDC to an NT 4.0, SP6a network. (No BDC or other
>member
> server had previously existed on this domain, lnly the PDC.) The main
> location of the network equipment is at our office, with the PDC
> temporarily
> at my home office for hardware upgrades. (The two locations are connected
> via
> "NextNet wireless VPN routers".) (During the upgrade, no changes were made
> the PDC operating system, other than updating from SP4 to SP6a. No
> changes
> made to PDC name or network name. Hardware upgrades made: new CPUs, RAM
> and
> HDDs, and addition of another ATA controller card.) I am trying to install
> BDC here at the home office (where the PDC is also currently located).
> With
> the PDC on-line, I've tried to install the server software on the BDC, and
> when I get to the point of entering the computer name, domain,
> administrator
> name and password, I get the message, "The domain controller for this
> domain
> cannot be located." That's all the further I can get, and I've tried
> starting the install over several times, all with the same ending point.
> THe
> PDC can see and access all other clients and members of the domain (and
> vice
> versa), but when I type "nslookup <mydomain>.com" (on a member XP Pro
> machine), I get "Cannot find server name for address 192.168.X.XXX (the
> home
> office router's addy): non-existent domain
> Default servers are not available."
>
> Are these problems because the PDC has been moved from the main office to
> the remote location? Do I need to change some network settings to
> accomodate
> the different router or is there someting else I'm doing wrong? Any help
> will be GREATLY appreciated, and I'll try to supply more detailed info if
> needed. Thank you very much!
March 22, 2005 7:35:04 AM

Thank you for responding. Please bear with me as I try to understand what
you're talking about and provide you with more info that may help you help
me. The NIC did install (after several tries), and I believe it's working.
I did manually enter the TCP/IP info, including the "Subnet Mask", which is
the same as the PDC. Under the DNS tab (on the machine I'm trying to install
as BDC), the Host name is entered as the name I assigned to this machine (on
the PDC's Server Manager), <mydomain> is entered under "Domain". THis
location's VPN router's addy is in the "DNS Service Search Order" box, and
that's all the info in that area. Under WINS Address tab, the NIC is showing
in the "Adapter" box, Primary WINS Server is, again, this location's VPN
router's addy, "Secondary WINS Server" is blank. "Enable LMHOSTS" is
checked. Under the "DHCP Relay" tab, "4" is autofilled in both "Second
threshold" and "Maximum hops", the VPN router's addy is entered in "DHCP
Servers". Under the "Routing" tab, "Enable IP Forwarding" is NOT checked.
Also, I have a machine here that I'm trying to join to the domain as a Member
Server (OS NT 4 Server already installed as stand-alone server.) When I
enter the admin's name and password and the domain name, I get the same
message as when trying to install the BDC, "domain controller for this domain
cannot be located". I can successfully ping the PDC, both by name and by IP
address. From the PDC's command prompt, "nltest /dclist:<mydomain>" results
in "\\<myserver> (PDC)". "net view" shows the PDC and workgroup member
names.
"nslookup" results in, "***Can't find server name for address 192.168.X.XXX
<local VPN router's addy>: Non-existent domain
***Default servers are not available
Default Servers: Unknown

"Michael Giorgio - MVP" wrote:

> Hi Kate,
> Are you manually entering the tcp/ip configuration
> on the new BDC making sure it's on the same subnet
> as the PDC? If the BDC is on a different subnet than
> the PDC then you'll need WINS in order for the BDC
> to find the PDC. If they are on the same subnet then I
> would think the NIC is not working properly or the
> driver you are using is out of date. As for the nslookup
> on the XP machine the output is expected on a downlevel
> domain such as NT 4.0 which doesn't use XP for name
> to tcp/ip address translation.
>
> "kate" <kate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> >I am trying to add a BDC to an NT 4.0, SP6a network. (No BDC or other
> >member
> > server had previously existed on this domain, lnly the PDC.) The main
> > location of the network equipment is at our office, with the PDC
> > temporarily
> > at my home office for hardware upgrades. (The two locations are connected
> > via
> > "NextNet wireless VPN routers".) (During the upgrade, no changes were made
> > the PDC operating system, other than updating from SP4 to SP6a. No
> > changes
> > made to PDC name or network name. Hardware upgrades made: new CPUs, RAM
> > and
> > HDDs, and addition of another ATA controller card.) I am trying to install
> > BDC here at the home office (where the PDC is also currently located).
> > With
> > the PDC on-line, I've tried to install the server software on the BDC, and
> > when I get to the point of entering the computer name, domain,
> > administrator
> > name and password, I get the message, "The domain controller for this
> > domain
> > cannot be located." That's all the further I can get, and I've tried
> > starting the install over several times, all with the same ending point.
> > THe
> > PDC can see and access all other clients and members of the domain (and
> > vice
> > versa), but when I type "nslookup <mydomain>.com" (on a member XP Pro
> > machine), I get "Cannot find server name for address 192.168.X.XXX (the
> > home
> > office router's addy): non-existent domain
> > Default servers are not available."
> >
> > Are these problems because the PDC has been moved from the main office to
> > the remote location? Do I need to change some network settings to
> > accomodate
> > the different router or is there someting else I'm doing wrong? Any help
> > will be GREATLY appreciated, and I'll try to supply more detailed info if
> > needed. Thank you very much!

March 22, 2005 2:28:25 PM

Good to have the member server in place to find out exactly
what is going on. On the member server attempt to join the
domain and immediately after the error message open a dos
prompt and run nbtstat -c. Post the output. Basically you
should see computernames 00, 03, 20, and domain names 1b
and 1c all pointing towards the PDC of the domain. If they are
in the cache then your name resolution is setup properly. If they
are not in the cache then name resolution is the issue. If the PDC
is running WINS then make sure the server is pointing towards
the PDC not the VPN routers address. Next attempt to map
to a share on the PDC from the member server first by tcp/ip
address then by name. If any fails post the exact error.

> [...]
point.
> > > THe
> > > PDC can see and access all other clients and members of the domain
(and
> > > vice
> > > versa), but when I type "nslookup <mydomain>.com" (on a member XP Pro
> > > machine), I get "Cannot find server name for address 192.168.X.XXX
(the
> > > home
> > > office router's addy): non-existent domain
> > > Default servers are not available."
> > >
> > > Are these problems because the PDC has been moved from the main office
> > > the remote location? Do I need to change some network settings to
> > > accomodate
> > > the different router or is there someting else I'm doing wrong? Any
help
> > > will be GREATLY appreciated, and I'll try to supply more detailed info

March 24, 2005 1:33:03 AM

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> open a dos
> prompt and run nbtstat -c. Post the output.

It gives no output; immediately returns to the C prompt.

> Basically you should see computernames 00, 03, 20,

What do these numbers mean?

>If the PDC is running WINS then make sure the server is pointing >towards the PDC not the VPN routers address.

I've tried connecting both these machines with and without WINS, and with
the WINS pointing to the PDC on both. Neither has worked. (But with WINS
enabled on the PDC, I lose Internet Explorer.)

> map to a share on the PDC from the member server first by tcp/ip
> address then by name. If any fails post the exact error.

WHen mapped by name returns this the error, "The network name cannot be
found". When mapping by IP addy, a folder by that name appears under the
'generic' workgroup, "Workgroup", the machine has in its network settings,
but that folder doesn't appear in its network neighborhood when I close the
mapping screen.

> [...]
> > names.
> > "nslookup" results in, "***Can't find server name for address
> 192.168.X.XXX
> > <local VPN router's addy>: Non-existent domain
> > ***Default servers are not available
> > Default Servers: Unknown
> > Address: 192.168.X.XXX" <local VPN router's addy>
> >

> > "Michael Giorgio - MVP" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Kate,
> > > Are you manually entering the tcp/ip configuration
> > > on the new BDC making sure it's on the same subnet
> > > as the PDC? If the BDC is on a different subnet than
> > > the PDC then you'll need WINS in order for the BDC
> > > to find the PDC. If they are on the same subnet then I
> > > would think the NIC is not working properly or the
> > > driver you are using is out of date. As for the nslookup
> > > on the XP machine the output is expected on a downlevel
> > > domain such as NT 4.0 which doesn't use XP for name

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 1:17:48 PM

Hi Kate,

"kate" <kate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:

> "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:
>
> > open a dos
> > prompt and run nbtstat -c. Post the output.
>
> It gives no output; immediately returns to the C prompt.

Now in dos run ipconfig /all and check to see if NetBIOS
is enabled. If it's not at the bottom it will say NetBIOS
over tcp/ip is disabled. To enable go into advanced tcp/ip
properties / WINS.

> > Basically you should see computernames 00, 03, 20,
>
> What do these numbers mean?

They are NetBIOS names used for name to tcp/ip
translation. There are services on each machine that register
these names which must be resolved in order to contact another
machine. NT uses NetBIOS as it's primary form of secure
communication. W2k or higher attempts to remove or get rid
of NetBIOS but there are services which still rely on it e.g.,
computer browser service.

> >If the PDC is running WINS then make sure the server is pointing >towards
the PDC not the VPN routers address.

> I've tried connecting both these machines with and without WINS, and with
> the WINS pointing to the PDC on both. Neither has worked. (But with WINS
> enabled on the PDC, I lose Internet Explorer.)

Are any of them running the WINS service? Sounds like you don't
have the WINS service installed and running on any of the machines.
If so then this could be the reason you are having problems. If you
have it installed on the PDC then you have to make sure the PDC is
pointing towards itself for it's primary and secondary in the tcp/ip
properties / WINS tab. Not sure what you mean with internet
explorer but WINS has nothing at all to do with Internet Explorer.

> > map to a share on the PDC from the member server first by tcp/ip
> > address then by name. If any fails post the exact error.
>
> WHen mapped by name returns this the error, "The network name cannot be
> found". When mapping by IP addy, a folder by that name appears under the
> 'generic' workgroup, "Workgroup", the machine has in its network settings,
> but that folder doesn't appear in its network neighborhood when I close
the
> mapping screen.

The error is telling you that you don't have the proper name to tcp/ip
address translation. A simple way to acheive this is to install the WINS
service on one of your machines and make sure all machines are pointing
towards that paticular WINS server. If you have multiple subnets then you
may want to think about a WINS server on each subnet and setting up
replication.
March 24, 2005 5:05:06 PM

When you said WINS had nothing to do with the Internet Explorer problems, I
did a repair of IE, and, for whatever reason, that seems to have fixed the
problem with the member server not being able to join the domain. It has now
successfully joined the domain. (YEAH, and THANK YOU!!) However, I still
can't finish the installation of the BDC; get the same message that it can't
find the domain controller.

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> Hi Kate,
>
> "kate" <kate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> >
> > "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:
> >
> > > open a dos
> > > prompt and run nbtstat -c. Post the output.
> >
> > It gives no output; immediately returns to the C prompt.
> >

> Now in dos run ipconfig /all and check to see if NetBIOS
> is enabled. If it's not at the bottom it will say NetBIOS
> over tcp/ip is disabled. To enable go into advanced tcp/ip
> properties / WINS.
>

> > > Basically you should see computernames 00, 03, 20,
> >
> > What do these numbers mean?
>
> They are NetBIOS names used for name to tcp/ip
> translation. There are services on each machine that register
> these names which must be resolved in order to contact another
> machine. NT uses NetBIOS as it's primary form of secure
> communication. W2k or higher attempts to remove or get rid
> of NetBIOS but there are services which still rely on it e.g.,
> computer browser service.
>

> > >If the PDC is running WINS then make sure the server is pointing >towards
> the PDC not the VPN routers address.
> >

> > I've tried connecting both these machines with and without WINS, and with
> > the WINS pointing to the PDC on both. Neither has worked. (But with WINS
> > enabled on the PDC, I lose Internet Explorer.)
>
> Are any of them running the WINS service? Sounds like you don't
> have the WINS service installed and running on any of the machines.
> If so then this could be the reason you are having problems. If you
> have it installed on the PDC then you have to make sure the PDC is
> pointing towards itself for it's primary and secondary in the tcp/ip
> properties / WINS tab. Not sure what you mean with internet
> explorer but WINS has nothing at all to do with Internet Explorer.
>

> > > map to a share on the PDC from the member server first by tcp/ip
> > > address then by name. If any fails post the exact error.
> >
> > WHen mapped by name returns this the error, "The network name cannot be
> > found". When mapping by IP addy, a folder by that name appears under the
> > 'generic' workgroup, "Workgroup", the machine has in its network settings,
> > but that folder doesn't appear in its network neighborhood when I close
> the
> > mapping screen.
>
> The error is telling you that you don't have the proper name to tcp/ip
> address translation. A simple way to acheive this is to install the WINS
> service on one of your machines and make sure all machines are pointing
> towards that paticular WINS server. If you have multiple subnets then you
> may want to think about a WINS server on each subnet and setting up
> replication.

March 24, 2005 7:05:04 PM

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:
> If you have multiple subnets then you may want to think about a WINS server on each subnet and setting up
> replication.

Can I set up my XP Pro machine at the home office to do this?

> Hi Kate,
>
> "kate" <kate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> >
> > "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:
> >
> > > open a dos
> > > prompt and run nbtstat -c. Post the output.
> >
> > It gives no output; immediately returns to the C prompt.
> >

> Now in dos run ipconfig /all and check to see if NetBIOS
> is enabled. If it's not at the bottom it will say NetBIOS
> over tcp/ip is disabled. To enable go into advanced tcp/ip
> properties / WINS.
>

> > > Basically you should see computernames 00, 03, 20,
> >
> > What do these numbers mean?
>
> They are NetBIOS names used for name to tcp/ip
> translation. There are services on each machine that register
> these names which must be resolved in order to contact another
> machine. NT uses NetBIOS as it's primary form of secure
> communication. W2k or higher attempts to remove or get rid
> of NetBIOS but there are services which still rely on it e.g.,
> computer browser service.
>

> > >If the PDC is running WINS then make sure the server is pointing >towards
> the PDC not the VPN routers address.
> >

> > I've tried connecting both these machines with and without WINS, and with
> > the WINS pointing to the PDC on both. Neither has worked. (But with WINS
> > enabled on the PDC, I lose Internet Explorer.)
>
> Are any of them running the WINS service? Sounds like you don't
> have the WINS service installed and running on any of the machines.
> If so then this could be the reason you are having problems. If you
> have it installed on the PDC then you have to make sure the PDC is
> pointing towards itself for it's primary and secondary in the tcp/ip
> properties / WINS tab. Not sure what you mean with internet
> explorer but WINS has nothing at all to do with Internet Explorer.
>

> > > map to a share on the PDC from the member server first by tcp/ip
> > > address then by name. If any fails post the exact error.
> >
> > WHen mapped by name returns this the error, "The network name cannot be
> > found". When mapping by IP addy, a folder by that name appears under the
> > 'generic' workgroup, "Workgroup", the machine has in its network settings,
> > but that folder doesn't appear in its network neighborhood when I close
> the
> > mapping screen.
>
> The error is telling you that you don't have the proper name to tcp/ip
> address translation. A simple way to acheive this is to install the WINS
> service on one of your machines and make sure all machines are pointing
> towards that paticular WINS server. If you have multiple subnets then you
> may want to think about a WINS server on each subnet and setting up
> replication.

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 2:44:17 PM

You did specify the PDC as the primary WINS server in the
tcp/ip configuration portion of the setup?

"kate" <kate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> When you said WINS had nothing to do with the Internet Explorer problems,
> did a repair of IE, and, for whatever reason, that seems to have fixed the
> problem with the member server not being able to join the domain. It has
now
> successfully joined the domain. (YEAH, and THANK YOU!!) However, I still
> can't finish the installation of the BDC; get the same message that it
can't
> find the domain controller.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 2:45:24 PM

"kate" <kate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:
> > If you have multiple subnets then you may want to think about a WINS
server on each subnet and setting up
> > replication.
>
> Can I set up my XP Pro machine at the home office to do this?

I don't think XP pro can be a WINS Server but I am not positive on
that one. In either case it's better to have your home machines pointing
towards your WINS server when dialing in.
!