NT4 server hal.dll missing

hi,
i got this error when my i up my Server NT 4.0 due to Server Crash this
morning,

Windows NT could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<WINNT ROOT>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

for your information,
My Server using SCSI RAID disk. C: D: E: F: &
how do i regain this file back without reformatting ( lots of important data
in that server ) so that my server can be used in future.

thank you in advance.

regards,
Amri
4 answers Last reply
More about server missing
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    in such case the best way is to install secondary OS instance to different
    partition than original instance is and copy requested file. I hope you have
    good backup, in case your disk or partition structures are corrupted, simple
    replace of one file will not help. and reinstall and restore is your only
    chance. Also check BIOS setting for your server. It is possible BIOS
    settings were cleared by computer crash and NT is trying to load different
    hal due different BIOS settings...

    "amri" <amri@discussions.microsoft.com> pí¹e v diskusním pøíspìvku
    > hi,
    > i got this error when my i up my Server NT 4.0 due to Server Crash this
    > morning,
    >
    > Windows NT could not start because the following file is missing or
    corrupt:
    > <WINNT ROOT>\system32\hal.dll
    > Please re-install a copy of the above file.
    >
    > for your information,
    > My Server using SCSI RAID disk. C: D: E: F: &
    > how do i regain this file back without reformatting ( lots of important
    data
    > in that server ) so that my server can be used in future.
    >
    > thank you in advance.
    >
    > regards,
    > Amri

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    hello Jiri,

    thank you for the reply

    actually all the scsi disk in the server were occupied by it's application
    c: stored the os and application registry
    d: is for oracle DB
    e: is for oracle & Symformware App
    f: is for DB2 ( Lotus Domino )

    is there any other choices that i have,

    regards
    Amri

    "Jiri Tuma" wrote:

    > in such case the best way is to install secondary OS instance to different
    > partition than original instance is and copy requested file. I hope you have
    > good backup, in case your disk or partition structures are corrupted, simple
    > replace of one file will not help. and reinstall and restore is your only
    > chance. Also check BIOS setting for your server. It is possible BIOS
    > settings were cleared by computer crash and NT is trying to load different
    > hal due different BIOS settings...
    >
    > "amri" <amri@discussions.microsoft.com> pí¹e v diskusním pøíspìvku
    > > hi,
    > > i got this error when my i up my Server NT 4.0 due to Server Crash this
    > > morning,
    > >
    > > Windows NT could not start because the following file is missing or
    > corrupt:
    > > <WINNT ROOT>\system32\hal.dll
    > > Please re-install a copy of the above file.
    > >
    > > for your information,
    > > My Server using SCSI RAID disk. C: D: E: F: &
    > > how do i regain this file back without reformatting ( lots of important
    > data
    > > in that server ) so that my server can be used in future.
    > >
    > > thank you in advance.
    > >
    > > regards,
    > > Amri

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    If it is not RAID, I tell you to connect it to another computer as secondary
    disk, but with RAID it is not as easy as with single disk.... If you have
    such possibility, connect it to NT 4 systems only! W2K and WXP systems can
    make irreversible changes to your NTFS partition structures making them
    unaccessible for NT setup repair procedure and, in case of lack of
    servicepack level, also for installed OS itself (you need at least SP4 for
    NTFS partitions affected by W2K and at least SP6 for partitions touched by
    WXP).

    It may be possible to connect another disk to your system, make it primary
    and install emergency OS instance to it, but in such case not all files in
    temporary instance could be used to replace corrupted files of original one.

    Installing of secondary OS instance is standard procedure, recommended by
    MS. You need only 150MB of free space to install minimal NT4 OS instance
    (standalone server or even workstation is enough, no network needed except
    if you want to use any network based drives or backup devices), but better
    if it is 300MB as you probably need also to apply servicepack to this
    instance to get right version of files you need for replacing. It is,
    however, possible to extract right version of files from installation or
    servicepack media, but you need to know exactly which one (and it is not
    always easy in case of hal, because hal.dll is renamed copy of driver file
    specific to your system and its current settings). Secondary OS instance is
    consuming only space, it does not affect runtime of original OS instance or
    its appplications. Also this secondary OS can be easily wiped out after
    repair, if you really need to get this space back. But IMHO it is really
    better to keep it installed as it really speeds up troubleshooting and can
    short server off-time by hours.

    As it is NT4, you can install another OS instance also to the same partition
    as original system but to another folder (ie. not to default WINNT). For NT4
    systems it is safe to have more OS instances on the same partition, even
    this is not recommended because all such instances are sharing common
    folders under Program Files tree. So you need to use prefferably the same
    version of OS (or as close as possible) and you should to install the same
    version of MSIE, apply the same level of servicepack and also all hotfixes
    and security packages to all of them.

    Note: If your server is multiCPU or if it is new hardware with
    hyperthreading, check your BIOS settings carefully as it is possible your OS
    is now detecting different number of CPUs then your current hal driver is
    written for.

    If your C: partition is FAT16, you can start from MS-DOS system floppy and
    replace files by its command line. If it is NTFS, there is available NTFSDOS
    driver tool on net, able to allow you to do the same thing.

    > hello Jiri,
    >
    > thank you for the reply
    >
    > actually all the scsi disk in the server were occupied by it's application
    > c: stored the os and application registry
    > d: is for oracle DB
    > e: is for oracle & Symformware App
    > f: is for DB2 ( Lotus Domino )
    >
    > is there any other choices that i have,
    >
    > regards
    > Amri
    >
    > "Jiri Tuma" wrote:
    >
    > > in such case the best way is to install secondary OS instance to
    different
    > > partition than original instance is and copy requested file. I hope you
    have
    > > good backup, in case your disk or partition structures are corrupted,
    simple
    > > replace of one file will not help. and reinstall and restore is your
    only
    > > chance. Also check BIOS setting for your server. It is possible BIOS
    > > settings were cleared by computer crash and NT is trying to load
    different
    > > hal due different BIOS settings...
    > >
    > > "amri" <amri@discussions.microsoft.com> pí1e v diskusním poíspivku
    > > > hi,
    > > > i got this error when my i up my Server NT 4.0 due to Server Crash
    this
    > > > morning,
    > > >
    > > > Windows NT could not start because the following file is missing or
    > > corrupt:
    > > > <WINNT ROOT>\system32\hal.dll
    > > > Please re-install a copy of the above file.
    > > >
    > > > for your information,
    > > > My Server using SCSI RAID disk. C: D: E: F: &
    > > > how do i regain this file back without reformatting ( lots of
    important
    > > data
    > > > in that server ) so that my server can be used in future.
    > > >
    > > > thank you in advance.
    > > >
    > > > regards,
    > > > Amri

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Dear Jiri,

    Thanks again for your reply,

    great explaination when i read the solution, i have decided, maybe i'll try
    the NTFSDOS first before i moved on to another choice. Will let u know ASAP
    the situation,

    Thank you

    Regards
    Amri