PC restarting after windows loading screen? (Please Read)

Bigw0rm

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Ok, heres all of what happened. On christmas I ordered some new parts for my computer. 2 Western Digital SATA HD's 250gigs, 1 gig Corsair XMS DDR400 RAM (2x512mb) and a new case.
The other parts I have in my system are ---
Abit AN8 motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4ghz
1gig Corsair XMS DDR400 RAM (2x512mb) --so when i put the new stuff in i had a total of 2 gigs.
160 gig IDE hard drive that i replaced with the SATAs
ATI X800 Pro 256mb PCIx16
RAIDMAX 500watt PSU
Ok, so after i get done installing hte new parts, I put the two SATAs on a raid 0 config. I get windows installed fine. Then it restarts and goes up to the windows loading screen. Right after the windows loading screen passes it goes blank and then restarts everytime. Any ideas what is wrong? I was thinking it coulda been the new gig of RAM i put into the machine so i pulled them out and it still restarts after the loading screen. I'm pretty stumped and could use some help. Thanks in advance. Oh i also installed Windows XP w/ SP1.

Bigw0rm

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
yea I moved the memory to 2.7 voltage, same problem. The only thing new I have in it now is the SATA hard drives, I'm thinkin its something wrong with them but I have no clue what =/ this is my first build with SATAs.

nawat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
There might be something wrong with the file system. I found that problem earlier but it was an EIDE harddisk. What I did was to connect the harddisk with other working computer and use chkdsk on that harddisk. I got it fixed that way but I don't know if that would work in this case. Anyway you could give it a try.

Good Luck.

Bigw0rm

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
I tried reinstalling windows and it does the exact same thing. Do any of you think it could be the power supply since I'm running two new hard drives now that could maybe be it?

Mills

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
Put in the windows CD and when it prompts you for loading RAID drivers, I believe its F8 you push. Then insert the floppy that has your RAID drivers on it.

I was having this issue with my PC also. If you havn't done the above, I highly recommend it :)

Bigw0rm

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
I did that man done it since the beginning. I also tried installing on my old hard drive and it says it cannot format it and it may be damaged, I was just using it a week ago and it was working fine now it won't work what the hell :(

ridgway

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
a couple of things.
Is your mother board RAID capable?
Is ur MOB raid 1 or 2?
Are your Hdrives raid 1 or 2?
Is ur MOB backwards compatible?
Do you have a Raid Bios installed?
Is your Raid array enabled in your BIOS?
Is one of ur RAID drives enabled as the stratup up drive, with a Master Boot up record?

Ridgway

pat

Expert
Bad PSU sometime make HDD not available to system. I just recaped an old motherboard. I started to install windows to see if it would work stable. Then when the files copying was over and it rebooted, the installation would freeze and give blue screen. I checked ram..nothing bad.. hen the HDD cannot boot anymore.. then I could not boot from cd.. I'm waiting for a new PSU to continue testing.

pat

Expert
a couple of things.
Is your mother board RAID capable?
Is ur MOB raid 1 or 2?
Are your Hdrives raid 1 or 2?
Is ur MOB backwards compatible?
Do you have a Raid Bios installed?
Is your Raid array enabled in your BIOS?
Is one of ur RAID drives enabled as the stratup up drive, with a Master Boot up record?

Ridgway

What's RAID 2????

ridgway

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Hm Pat this is funny
ur the one to suggest to raise voltages on RAM and ur asking me what is RAID 2?
Ever heard of of USB 1 & 2?
same thing

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
So if you restore your system to its origional setup - old case, ram, HD.
what happens?

did the new case come with a PSU? if so what did you do with it?

pat

Expert
Ohh.. you meant SATA1 and SATA2...

I'll give you a simple concept about hard drive and controller and interface.

There is 2 kind of controller.. SCSI and IDE. SCSI needs SCSI drives as well as SCSI interfaces. SCSI hdd can be used as single drive and as part of an array, called RAID.

IDE controller need IDE HDD. they are connected together using either SATA or P-ATA (flat ribbon with 40 wires for ATA-66 and less and 80 wires for ata-100 and more.. Why 80 wires? Because they acts like shield to prevent Xtalking between wire at high frequency) interface.
SATA was first introduced with some set of standard feature. Then, there is SATA2, which is not really SATA2, but rather SATA-IO.. confusing? I bet.. But simple enough once you do some search about SATA on google.

IDE HDD can be used as RAID too. Depend how the controller is set. The interface can be either SATA or PATA.. it doesnt matter. It is only a wire between an IDE hdd and an IDE controller or RAID controller. An yes, modern chipset, like the nforce4, that we are talking about here, as native SATA interface support within the controller and drivers are not necessary for single drive operation. Sure, there is some noob that still have to figure that out and lok at their BIOS to see if the controler is set as RAID or not, but that's another story. Ohh worst are those that assume that they know everything about chipset and motherboard and post any answer that do not make sense..but that's another story too...

There is various type of RAID. most common with onboard controller, because that's what we are talking about here is 0, 1, 1+0 and 5.

Sure, there is RAID 2.. and RAID3.. and 4 and 5 and 6 and 7 ..but no 8 or 9.. and 10 (1+0) and 53 (5+3).. there is even a raid s type..

So, before posting anything, please look at the motherboard we are talking about. That will give you clue to answer your own question as Yes, the motherboard is RAID capable .. there is no onboard motherboard that has RAID 2nor hdd that raid 2 or even raid one. Why backward compatibility6 Oh..with SATA 1 you meant?? And if he stall at f-10 to enter RAID BIOS, it is because it is installed because if it wasnt, it simply wont ask.. the RAID should be enabled in BIOS because it started to boot an simply crash after a while and if it started to boot, then I guess the MBR is ok...

Not, tell me who looks funny here?.. and I can see that it was your first or second post.. What a show up???

Bigw0rm

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
I think I just fried my PSU trying something =/ I switched the red switch on the back to a larger number and I turned it on and it stayed on for a few seconds then shutdown immediately. Think I'm going to try a local shop to try and see what is wrong with this computer. I'll let you know what they find out.

Bigw0rm

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Yea I uh put it to 240 volts like an idiot I think I fried the PSU by doing that lol, I'm gonna buy a new one today I think though, I'm also going over to my friends to troubleshoot and get this damn thing fixed.

Bigw0rm

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Alright I fixed the problem, turns out I had the wrong drivers installed for the RAID setup and I just used the default windows ones and it works fine now. Thanks for the help all I appreciate it :)

pat

Expert
Alright I fixed the problem, turns out I had the wrong drivers installed for the RAID setup and I just used the default windows ones and it works fine now. Thanks for the help all I appreciate it :)

There is no default RAID drivers from MS... I guess that you thought that you had an array but still was using single drive with RAID drivers..

Oh.. god.. Still have to figure why RAID and SATA is soooooooooooooooooooo confusing ..

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
[quote="PatOh.. god.. Still have to figure why RAID and SATA is soooooooooooooooooooo confusing ..[/quote]
People think they talking about the same thing - like Cars and Automobiles... same thing. They're different of course, but you know people...

Mike.