Error Message "STOP: 0x0000000A( , , , )" installing NT4 W..

On Compaq Deskpro EXS w 1.4 G P4 & 2 64MB RAM sticks, I get through entire
installation of NT4 until last step where video driver seems to be loaded.
Then I get the above crash code. I had an AGP video card (not a pro/8x) and
switched to a PCI video card thinking this may have been the problem since
all is OK until last step of process. This MB has no on board video.
Thanks!
--
Rob D.

"Rob D." <RobD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On Compaq Deskpro EXS w 1.4 G P4 & 2 64MB RAM sticks, I get through entire
> installation of NT4 until last step where video driver seems to be loaded.
> Then I get the above crash code. I had an AGP video card (not a pro/8x)
and
> switched to a PCI video card thinking this may have been the problem since
> all is OK until last step of process. This MB has no on board video.
> Thanks!
> --
> Rob D.

FWIW, I have an older Compaq (came with Win98 installed) and I had all sorts
of problems installing Windows NT on it. Even once I'd succeeded, it would
lock up every day or so.

I would recommend getting Windows XP - thus far, it's been solid and
installed perfectly (apart from the standard "13 minutes" actually means
"about 10 hours whilst I make up my mind to continue" installation issue).
And of course you know that WinXP is based on WinNT _plus_ you get USB
connections and other good stuff.

Paul DS.

Does NT4 CD include any SP? It could be defective hardware but try to update
the BIOS first.

What is the *last step*? Setup detects hardware and loads the drivers during
the first half (at least) of installation and video detection occurs during
3/4 of hardware detection process.

Just realised, you're not trying to install pre SP4 NT on a partition bigger
than 4.7GB by any chance? Search the web for information on this if you
are.

Paul DS.

"Rob D." <RobD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On Compaq Deskpro EXS w 1.4 G P4 & 2 64MB RAM sticks, I get through entire
> installation of NT4 until last step where video driver seems to be loaded.
> Then I get the above crash code. I had an AGP video card (not a pro/8x)
and
> switched to a PCI video card thinking this may have been the problem since
> all is OK until last step of process. This MB has no on board video.
> Thanks!
> --
> Rob D.

Calvin

Paul D.Smith wrote:
> I would recommend getting Windows XP - thus far, it's been solid and
> installed perfectly (apart from the standard "13 minutes" actually means
> "about 10 hours whilst I make up my mind to continue" installation issue).

XP is fine, provided you have plenty of hard drive space at your disposal, are
prepared to put up with slow system response and the odd bout of instability.

If small footprint and rock-solid stability are your top priorities, persevere
with installing NT4, it's worth it in the end :)

Calvin.

"Calvin" <nospam@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Paul D.Smith wrote:
> > I would recommend getting Windows XP - thus far, it's been solid and
> > installed perfectly (apart from the standard "13 minutes" actually means
> > "about 10 hours whilst I make up my mind to continue" installation
issue).

> XP is fine, provided you have plenty of hard drive space at your disposal,
are
> prepared to put up with slow system response and the odd bout of
instability.

> If small footprint and rock-solid stability are your top priorities,
persevere
> with installing NT4, it's worth it in the end :)
>
> Calvin.

As a die-hard NT4 fan (it's been running on my main PC for many years now!),
I would disagree. You _do_ need lots of memory for WinXP, but this is
pretty cheap these days, and I'm sure its bigger but where WinNT won't
install readily, I've found WinXP a very good alternative.

You can speed up WinXP quite a lot be removing the "useful" features such as
"fade-in" menus and the like. I find there is little difference between
tweaked WinXP and WinNT, and WinXP installs remarkably easily and seems to
support more hardware.

Paul DS.

Paul D.Smith wrote:
>> If small footprint and rock-solid stability are your top
priorities,
>> persevere with installing NT4, it's worth it in the end :)
>
> As a die-hard NT4 fan [...] I've found WinXP a very good
alternative.

Both of you seem to have forgotten the alternative:
NT5 aka Win2k...

It has fewer snags than NT4 and a smaller footprint than XP and --
like NT4 -- it has been around long enough to be a really stable
product.

But to be honest -- I have it because I needed it for exactly one
program that would not run under NT4. For the rest, I fire up the
trusted NT4...

Helmut
--
All typos © My Knotty Fingers Ltd. Capacity Dept.

Calvin

Hi Paul,

I'm glad you still are a supporter of NT4 - there are so few of us left it seems :-(

What you didn't address in my list of complaints about XP (and Win2k to a lesser
extent) is it's HDD footprint - it is MASSIVE, courtesy of all the bloatware
that Microsoft insist on installing along with the base OS, and of course don't
give you an option to NOT install :-(

NT4 Workstation can be made fully operation (though not particularly pretty) in
an 85MB footprint. (My Syquest recovery boot removable media hard drive copy is
this size). From what I've seen you'd be hard pressed to get XP down below 1000MB !

> Hi Paul,
>
> I'm glad you still are a supporter of NT4 - there are so few of us left it
seems :-(

> What you didn't address in my list of complaints about XP (and Win2k to a
lesser
> extent) is it's HDD footprint - it is MASSIVE, courtesy of all the
bloatware
> that Microsoft insist on installing along with the base OS, and of course
don't
> give you an option to NOT install :-(
>
> NT4 Workstation can be made fully operation (though not particularly
pretty) in
> an 85MB footprint. (My Syquest recovery boot removable media hard drive
copy is
> this size). From what I've seen you'd be hard pressed to get XP down below
1000MB !

> Calvin.

Fair cop. I do suspect that few people actually install a "minimal" NT4
system but I take your point that for those "in the know", NT4 can be much
smaller.

Personally, I have so much bloatware software in addition to the O/S that I
don't notice the jump that much.

Paul DS.