broken network connections after a system restore?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

4/21/05
Dear Folks,

I'm running Win2K, SP4. Can anyone here tell me what file name(s) network
connection setting are stored under. I had to restore my system folder from
backups after a crash; when I rebooted, I found all my network settings were
gone. I'd rather just restore them from my backups than have to reprogram
them all. Problem is, I don't know what files I should be looking for to
restore. Help?

On a related note-- I tried to reprogram one network setting using the
Connection Wizard-- everything went fine until I got to the last step of
naming the settings. No matter what I typed in, Win2K kept telling me it was
an illegal name and that I had to have at least one non-blank character and
couldn't begin it with a period (neither of which was what I was typing in).

The event viewer tells me that RASMON can't run because it's unable to
create the buffers it needs. Huh.

I'm stumped by that one. Anyone here gotta clue?

Thanks!

pax / Ctein

==========================================
-- Ctein's Online Gallery http://www.ctein.com
-- Digital Restorations http://photo-repair.com
==========================================
8 answers Last reply
More about broken network connections system restore
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    These may help.

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1/75.ASP

    What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

    Be sure to apply these to your repair install before connecting to any
    network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx


    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Ctein" wrote:
    | 4/21/05
    | Dear Folks,
    |
    | I'm running Win2K, SP4. Can anyone here tell me what file name(s) network
    | connection setting are stored under. I had to restore my system folder
    from
    | backups after a crash; when I rebooted, I found all my network settings
    were
    | gone. I'd rather just restore them from my backups than have to reprogram
    | them all. Problem is, I don't know what files I should be looking for to
    | restore. Help?
    |
    | On a related note-- I tried to reprogram one network setting using the
    | Connection Wizard-- everything went fine until I got to the last step of
    | naming the settings. No matter what I typed in, Win2K kept telling me it
    was
    | an illegal name and that I had to have at least one non-blank character
    and
    | couldn't begin it with a period (neither of which was what I was typing
    in).
    |
    | The event viewer tells me that RASMON can't run because it's unable to
    | create the buffers it needs. Huh.
    |
    | I'm stumped by that one. Anyone here gotta clue?
    |
    | Thanks!
    |
    | pax / Ctein
    |
    | ==========================================
    | -- Ctein's Online Gallery http://www.ctein.com
    | -- Digital Restorations http://photo-repair.com
    | ==========================================
    |
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Dear Dave,

    "...it looked like you only restored a portion of the operating system sub
    directory which is why I suggested the in-place upgrade."

    Wow, practically like instant messaging <g>. Thanks again!

    That's exactly what I tried first, in progressively more aggressive forms.
    Didn't fix the explorer crash. Finally I realized the obvious-- that it
    wasn't an existing file that was broken but it was something that the
    updaters had added (and restoring existing files wouldn't touch that, of
    course). So I went to try the in-place upgrade, which worked but left me
    with the ungodly mess of out-of-date stuff to clean up. So, finally, I took
    a deep breath, wiped the partition and did a full restore. Which got me into
    the lesser mess I'm in now.

    OK, I looked at "How to remove and reinstall TCP/IP for Windows 2000"; it
    presumes that the net connections already exist. I'll give it a try to see
    if it breaks the 'can't create a new one' problem. But I'm taking it from
    your lack of comment that there's no simple file I can restore that holds my
    existing connections?

    I'm right with you if that fails; my next step was to pull hardware and
    rebuild the system step by step.

    I SOOOO don't want to have to do a clean install. I'd rather deal with the
    hassles of an in-place upgrade.

    All this because of a Microsoft Security Update... we are not amused.


    pax / Ctein

    ==========================================
    -- Ctein's Online Gallery http://www.ctein.com
    -- Digital Restorations http://photo-repair.com
    ==========================================
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Dear Dave,

    OK, more information (which is progress, of a sorts)...

    I found the raspbhone.pbk, and the date on it is the most current changes
    I've made. So... I double-click on it to see what happens, and I get the
    following error message:

    "Cannot load the Remote Access Connection Manager service.
    Error 711: The Remote Access Service Manager could not start. Additional
    information is provided in the event log"

    Pull up the event log: two error messages--

    Source: RasMan Event:20035
    Description: The Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because it
    could not create buffers. Access is denied.
    Data (words): 0000:00000005

    followed immediately by ...

    Source: Service Control Manager Event:7023
    Description: The Remote Access Connection Manager service terminated with
    the following error: Access is denied.


    There are buffer overflow patches mentioned in two Microsoft alerts:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx

    I've applied them both; no effect.

    So, how do I go about fixing this? Is there a way I can just wipe out the
    connectivity stuff wholesale and reinstall it from my Win2K CD (without
    doing a clean reinstall or a full "update" repair, that is)? Or is this some
    registry problem? Or, Door Number 3? (I'll take the curtain, Monty!)

    Thanks again for your assistance!


    pax / Ctein

    ==========================================
    -- Ctein's Online Gallery http://www.ctein.com
    -- Digital Restorations http://photo-repair.com
    ==========================================
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    This article may help. The permissions are probably incorrect.

    How to Restore the Default NTFS Permissions for Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=266118

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Ctein" wrote:
    | Dear Dave,
    |
    | OK, more information (which is progress, of a sorts)...
    |
    | I found the raspbhone.pbk, and the date on it is the most current changes
    | I've made. So... I double-click on it to see what happens, and I get the
    | following error message:
    |
    | "Cannot load the Remote Access Connection Manager service.
    | Error 711: The Remote Access Service Manager could not start. Additional
    | information is provided in the event log"
    |
    | Pull up the event log: two error messages--
    |
    | Source: RasMan Event:20035
    | Description: The Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because
    it
    | could not create buffers. Access is denied.
    | Data (words): 0000:00000005
    |
    | followed immediately by ...
    |
    | Source: Service Control Manager Event:7023
    | Description: The Remote Access Connection Manager service terminated with
    | the following error: Access is denied.
    |
    |
    | There are buffer overflow patches mentioned in two Microsoft alerts:
    | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
    | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
    |
    | I've applied them both; no effect.
    |
    | So, how do I go about fixing this? Is there a way I can just wipe out the
    | connectivity stuff wholesale and reinstall it from my Win2K CD (without
    | doing a clean reinstall or a full "update" repair, that is)? Or is this
    some
    | registry problem? Or, Door Number 3? (I'll take the curtain, Monty!)
    |
    | Thanks again for your assistance!
    |
    |
    | pax / Ctein
    |
    | ==========================================
    | -- Ctein's Online Gallery http://www.ctein.com
    | -- Digital Restorations http://photo-repair.com
    | ==========================================
    |
    |
    |
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Dear Dave,

    P.S. ... Any chance applying Service Pack 4 again might fix whatever's
    broken, or is it just a waste of time? (My system is currently at SP4).

    Thanks!

    Ctein
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    It shouldn't hurt.

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Ctein" wrote:
    | Dear Dave,
    |
    | P.S. ... Any chance applying Service Pack 4 again might fix whatever's
    | broken, or is it just a waste of time? (My system is currently at SP4).
    |
    | Thanks!
    |
    | Ctein
    |
    |
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Dear Dave,

    OK, it's fixed! Checked the services, and, yup, Remote Access Connection
    Manager wasn't running. Attempts to launch it produced an "access is denied"
    message. Before going through the permissions repair process, I decided to
    try reinstalling SP4 (I have the full installer on a CD). That did the
    trick! Next time I booted up, my dial-up connections were live and present.

    Thanks for your help, once again.


    pax / Ctein

    ==========================================
    -- Ctein's Online Gallery http://www.ctein.com
    -- Digital Restorations http://photo-repair.com
    ==========================================
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    Glad to hear it. Thanks for the feedback.

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Ctein" wrote:
    | Dear Dave,
    |
    | OK, it's fixed! Checked the services, and, yup, Remote Access Connection
    | Manager wasn't running. Attempts to launch it produced an "access is
    denied"
    | message. Before going through the permissions repair process, I decided to
    | try reinstalling SP4 (I have the full installer on a CD). That did the
    | trick! Next time I booted up, my dial-up connections were live and
    present.
    |
    | Thanks for your help, once again.
    |
    |
    | pax / Ctein
    |
    | ==========================================
    | -- Ctein's Online Gallery http://www.ctein.com
    | -- Digital Restorations http://photo-repair.com
    | ==========================================
    |
Ask a new question

Read More

Connection System Restore Windows