broken network connections after a system restore?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 22, 2005 1:35:20 PM

4/21/05
Dear Folks,

I'm running Win2K, SP4. Can anyone here tell me what file name(s) network
connection setting are stored under. I had to restore my system folder from
backups after a crash; when I rebooted, I found all my network settings were
gone. I'd rather just restore them from my backups than have to reprogram
them all. Problem is, I don't know what files I should be looking for to
restore. Help?

On a related note-- I tried to reprogram one network setting using the
Connection Wizard-- everything went fine until I got to the last step of
naming the settings. No matter what I typed in, Win2K kept telling me it was
an illegal name and that I had to have at least one non-blank character and
couldn't begin it with a period (neither of which was what I was typing in).

The event viewer tells me that RASMON can't run because it's unable to
create the buffers it needs. Huh.

I'm stumped by that one. Anyone here gotta clue?

Thanks!

pax / Ctein

-- Ctein's Online Gallery http://www.ctein.com
-- Digital Restorations http://photo-repair.com
April 22, 2005 1:35:21 PM

These may help.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1...

What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

Be sure to apply these to your repair install before connecting to any
network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Ctein" wrote:
| 4/21/05
| Dear Folks,
|
| I'm running Win2K, SP4. Can anyone here tell me what file name(s) network
| connection setting are stored under. I had to restore my system folder
from
| backups after a crash; when I rebooted, I found all my network settings
were
| gone. I'd rather just restore them from my backups than have to reprogram
| them all. Problem is, I don't know what files I should be looking for to
| restore. Help?
|
| On a related note-- I tried to reprogram one network setting using the
| Connection Wizard-- everything went fine until I got to the last step of
| naming the settings. No matter what I typed in, Win2K kept telling me it
was
| an illegal name and that I had to have at least one non-blank character
and
| couldn't begin it with a period (neither of which was what I was typing
in).

| The event viewer tells me that RASMON can't run because it's unable to
| create the buffers it needs. Huh.
|
| I'm stumped by that one. Anyone here gotta clue?
|
| Thanks!
|
| pax / Ctein
|
| ==========================================
| -- Ctein's Online Gallery http://www.ctein.com
| -- Digital Restorations http://photo-repair.com
| ==========================================

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 9:24:31 PM

Dear Dave,

"...it looked like you only restored a portion of the operating system sub
directory which is why I suggested the in-place upgrade."

Wow, practically like instant messaging <g>. Thanks again!

That's exactly what I tried first, in progressively more aggressive forms.
Didn't fix the explorer crash. Finally I realized the obvious-- that it
wasn't an existing file that was broken but it was something that the
updaters had added (and restoring existing files wouldn't touch that, of
course). So I went to try the in-place upgrade, which worked but left me
with the ungodly mess of out-of-date stuff to clean up. So, finally, I took
a deep breath, wiped the partition and did a full restore. Which got me into
the lesser mess I'm in now.

OK, I looked at "How to remove and reinstall TCP/IP for Windows 2000"; it
presumes that the net connections already exist. I'll give it a try to see
if it breaks the 'can't create a new one' problem. But I'm taking it from
your lack of comment that there's no simple file I can restore that holds my
existing connections?

I'm right with you if that fails; my next step was to pull hardware and
rebuild the system step by step.

I SOOOO don't want to have to do a clean install. I'd rather deal with the
hassles of an in-place upgrade.

All this because of a Microsoft Security Update... we are not amused.

pax / Ctein

-- Ctein's Online Gallery http://www.ctein.com
-- Digital Restorations http://photo-repair.com
April 22, 2005 11:54:44 PM

Dear Dave,

OK, more information (which is progress, of a sorts)...

I found the raspbhone.pbk, and the date on it is the most current changes
I've made. So... I double-click on it to see what happens, and I get the
following error message:

"Cannot load the Remote Access Connection Manager service.
Error 711: The Remote Access Service Manager could not start. Additional
information is provided in the event log"

Pull up the event log: two error messages--

Source: RasMan Event:20035
could not create buffers. Access is denied.
Data (words): 0000:00000005

followed immediately by ...

Source: Service Control Manager Event:7023
the following error: Access is denied.

There are buffer overflow patches mentioned in two Microsoft alerts:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...

I've applied them both; no effect.

So, how do I go about fixing this? Is there a way I can just wipe out the
connectivity stuff wholesale and reinstall it from my Win2K CD (without
doing a clean reinstall or a full "update" repair, that is)? Or is this some
registry problem? Or, Door Number 3? (I'll take the curtain, Monty!)

Thanks again for your assistance!

pax / Ctein

-- Ctein's Online Gallery http://www.ctein.com
-- Digital Restorations http://photo-repair.com
April 22, 2005 11:54:45 PM

This article may help. The permissions are probably incorrect.

How to Restore the Default NTFS Permissions for Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=266118

--

"Ctein" wrote:
| Dear Dave,
|
| OK, more information (which is progress, of a sorts)...
|
| I found the raspbhone.pbk, and the date on it is the most current changes
| I've made. So... I double-click on it to see what happens, and I get the
| following error message:
|
| "Cannot load the Remote Access Connection Manager service.
| Error 711: The Remote Access Service Manager could not start. Additional
| information is provided in the event log"
|
| Pull up the event log: two error messages--
|
| Source: RasMan Event:20035
it
| could not create buffers. Access is denied.
| Data (words): 0000:00000005
|
| followed immediately by ...
|
| Source: Service Control Manager Event:7023
| the following error: Access is denied.
|

| There are buffer overflow patches mentioned in two Microsoft alerts:
| http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
| http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
|
| I've applied them both; no effect.
|
| So, how do I go about fixing this? Is there a way I can just wipe out the
| connectivity stuff wholesale and reinstall it from my Win2K CD (without
| doing a clean reinstall or a full "update" repair, that is)? Or is this
some
| registry problem? Or, Door Number 3? (I'll take the curtain, Monty!)
|
| Thanks again for your assistance!
|

| pax / Ctein
|
| ==========================================
| -- Ctein's Online Gallery http://www.ctein.com
| -- Digital Restorations http://photo-repair.com
| ==========================================

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 11:57:58 PM

Dear Dave,

P.S. ... Any chance applying Service Pack 4 again might fix whatever's
broken, or is it just a waste of time? (My system is currently at SP4).

Thanks!

Ctein
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 11:57:59 PM

It shouldn't hurt.

--

"Ctein" wrote:
| Dear Dave,
|
| P.S. ... Any chance applying Service Pack 4 again might fix whatever's
| broken, or is it just a waste of time? (My system is currently at SP4).
|
| Thanks!
|
| Ctein

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 9:55:26 AM

Dear Dave,

OK, it's fixed! Checked the services, and, yup, Remote Access Connection
Manager wasn't running. Attempts to launch it produced an "access is denied"
message. Before going through the permissions repair process, I decided to
try reinstalling SP4 (I have the full installer on a CD). That did the
trick! Next time I booted up, my dial-up connections were live and present.

Thanks for your help, once again.

pax / Ctein

-- Ctein's Online Gallery http://www.ctein.com
-- Digital Restorations http://photo-repair.com
April 23, 2005 11:00:56 AM

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the feedback.

--

!