Getting DNS address to set up wireless

Computer idiot here . I'm trying to set up wireless connection to a Dell
Inspirion 6000.I have a Linksys Wireless-G 54Mbps Broadband Router and a
D-Link AirPlus G card.When installing the software for the router it asks me
for the IP Address,Subnet Mask,Default Gateway,DNS 1,and DNS 2.I've gottten
all of these addresses except the DNS' addresses.When I found the others
,there was a fault for the DNS address.It read "Domain _not _set.Invalid."
How do I get DNS and do I actually need 2 of them? Thank You

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

the dns addresses are normally supplied by your isp. or if you are setting
up an isolated lan the use the ip address of your name server machine.

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:15:02 -0700, lynda wrote:

> Computer idiot here . I'm trying to set up wireless connection to a Dell
> Inspirion 6000.I have a Linksys Wireless-G 54Mbps Broadband Router and a
> D-Link AirPlus G card.When installing the software for the router it asks me
> for the IP Address,Subnet Mask,Default Gateway,DNS 1,and DNS 2.I've gottten
> all of these addresses except the DNS' addresses.When I found the others
> ,there was a fault for the DNS address.It read "Domain _not _set.Invalid."
> How do I get DNS and do I actually need 2 of them? Thank You

"Domain _not _set.Invalid" is hardwired into my SpeedStream 4100, maybe the
SS5100B, as well; an older modem shipped by SBC prior to the SS4100. You
can't change that setting in the modem. OTOH, I have a domain configured in
my Netgear FR114P, and it, along with my computer name, shows up in the DNS
field, along with the ISP IP addresses (megumi.aosake.net).

Which modem do you have, and where is your PPPoE session initialized? What
IP address are you using in configuring the Linksys? Although this is
different from my configuration, you might give it a try. Assuming SS4100:

You can't change the modem IP address; it is: 192.168.0.1/255.255.0.0. Set
the modem connection type to "Always attempt to connect". You will find it
here: http://192.168.0.1/conncfg.htm, if it is an SS4100. Maybe the same
for an SS5100B.

On the router, if you set it for a static IP address on the WAN, use
192.168.1.64/255.255.254.0. There is a reason for that last netmask; it
limits the range of IP addresses on that network node to:

Start: 192.168.0.0
End: 192.168.1.255

That should be sufficient to cover your needs on that side of the router.

On the LAN side of the router, set the IP address as
192.168.2.1/255.255.255.0. The reason for this is so you can access your
modem through your router; you don't want any IP address in the range I
listed for the modem, or the packets might never be passed by the Linksys
to the far side of the router. You will need to know your DNS servers for
your SBC region. If you are connecting now, either check with ipconfig
-all, or on the modem here: http://192.168.0.1/. You will enter the IP
addresses on the router where the DNS sever entries go. Let the router act
as a DHCP server; it will assign IP addresses to the computers. It should
also pass the DNS server addresses on to the computers.

As for the "Domain _not _set.Invalid", if you look here:

http://192.168.0.1/techreadout.htm

....down to line 125, you will see it. However, if you set a domain name in
the proper field in the Linksys, that domain name will be appended instead
of "Domain_not_set.Invalid". Say you enter, "sbcglobal.net"; you will see
that line change from "computer_name.Domain_not_set.Invalid" to
"computer_name.sbcglobal.net". This setting is not important, though; SBC
doesn't require it. I do it because it looks nifty in the ipconfig -all
report.

For more detailed information, try this link:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/ilec,pcb

That applies to California and Nevada, which I am guessing is appropriate
by the rDNS on your IP address: adsl-69-108-1-210.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net.
If you are in some other SBC region, there are links in the tabs on that
page to take you there.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain