Lost CDROM's under Win2K

4/29/05
Dear Folks,

OK, a NEW problem:

It's a fresh install of Win2K with SP4, all Microsoft service patches and
updates downloaded and applied. (And, yes, Photoshop CS is working again...
finally).

So, I go to install Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 (which is what I was using
before on this system). When I reboot the machine, it has lost the CD
burners! (I've got two of them). The drives ain't there. If I boot into
Win98 (I've a dual boot config), they show up and work, so I know they're
physically still available. I checked into Win2K device manager and it
reports Code 31 drive errors for both CD's -- "This device is not working
properly because Windows cannot load the drivers for this device."

Uninstalling Easy CD Creator didn't fix it. Neither did uninstalling and
reinstalling the CD drives using the drivers already present on the system.
I still get the Code 31 error on both drives.

I can make CD stuff available via the circuitous route of booting into
Win98, copying stuff from CD's over onto a hard drive partition and booting
back into Win2K. I did this to make the original Win2K installer files
available to search for drivers. Unfortunately, I don't know what subfolder
to navigate into to find the CDROM drivers.

Also, tried letting the system look online for a Windows Updated driver, it
found nothing more current than what was already on my system.

Suggestions, anyone???

pax / Ctein

-- Ctein's Online Gallery http://www.ctein.com
-- Digital Restorations http://photo-repair.com