Alternative beside Clustering

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

We have installed ALL printers on server1 & server2 and shared. Client
connected using share name to the printer. We would like another server
(Server3) to be a print server ONLy, so that if server1 or server2 is
out of service, then, Server3 will handle the printing, transparent to
the users. Users no need to add the printer again.

Is there a better way to do this beside using clustering ? All servers
are using Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

Regards
Brian

Direct printing eliminates Windows print servers and shares and a printer
itself becomes a single point of failure.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Yes, But we have thousand of users using so many printers in different
floors. That's why we setup a print server.

Regards
Brian

Certainly lookup and connect the shared printers in AD is easier.

That's exactly what I meant: the difference between shared and networked
printers setup.