How to see SCSI tape drive?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 18, 2005 7:22:02 AM

5/17/05
Dear Folks,

I just got given an HP SureStore DAT24 SCSI internal drive to use on my
Win2K system. My understanding is that it's normal for such drive to not
show up as an accessible drive under Windows Explorer. Dantz Retrospect sees
it just fine (it also shows up under Device manager/Tape Drive) but it would
be useful to be able to access the drive directly, through Explorer.

Does anyone know of a utility or app that will let me do that?

Thanks!

pax / Ctein

-- Ctein's Online Gallery http://www.ctein.com
-- Digital Restorations http://photo-repair.com

More about : scsi tape drive

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:41:00 PM

Explorer will show files and folders when the device uses a file system such
as FAT or NTFS.

AFAIK Tape drives are not formatted in a file system viewable by explorer.

The product would have to reformat the tape (read loose data) set up some
sort of index so you can get a view of what is on the tape.
Not sure if it would be worth making a product that views data on a tape
drive given that explorer (or an application) will appear to hang or it will
time out waiting for the tape to find a file at the end of the tape.

Tape is not made to be "online" like a hard drive. Tape is meant to be a
storage medium because it is so slow compared to a hard drive. Anything
accessed via tape will be a bottleneck in today's systems.

For online access (which is what you want) you should consider another hard
drive.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Ctein" <ctein@pobox.com> wrote in message
> 5/17/05
> Dear Folks,
>
> I just got given an HP SureStore DAT24 SCSI internal drive to use on my
> Win2K system. My understanding is that it's normal for such drive to not
> show up as an accessible drive under Windows Explorer. Dantz Retrospect
> sees
> it just fine (it also shows up under Device manager/Tape Drive) but it
> would
> be useful to be able to access the drive directly, through Explorer.
>
> Does anyone know of a utility or app that will let me do that?
>
> Thanks!
>
> pax / Ctein

> -- Ctein's Online Gallery http://www.ctein.com
> -- Digital Restorations http://photo-repair.com

May 19, 2005 10:25:19 AM

Dear Danny,

Well, I don't need random access; what I'd like is some way to be able to
copy drive images to tape for offsite storage. Which means direct access by
me, but it doesn't have to be via Explorer; I'd be happy with a third-party
app.

pax / Ctein
May 19, 2005 1:31:29 PM

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300135

> Dear Danny,
>
> Well, I don't need random access; what I'd like is some way to be able to
> copy drive images to tape for offsite storage. Which means direct access
> by
> me, but it doesn't have to be via Explorer; I'd be happy with a
> third-party
> app.
>
> pax / Ctein

Anonymous
June 5, 2010 12:10:13 PM

This is exactly the situation that I am also in. I got the dirve free but have $40 in the pci controller and cable. If I spent much more I could have bought a HDD. My own fault, trying to get something for nothing.
!