Upgrading from Windows ME to Windows 2000

In attempting to do the upgrade, I now have both operating systems on my
computer. How do I wind up running only Win 2000 and having it recognize
everything on my hard disk? Is the first step to delete Win 2000 and if so,
how do I do this, as it appears to be a 'clean' install and gives me no clue
as to how to uninstall it? Or, should I uninstall Win ME first?

This is my son's computer and I am in desperate need of some help here.
Many thanks. Please email me at jeff_leader@yahoo.com. Jeff.
1 answer Last reply
More about upgrading windows windows 2000
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    There is no supported upgrade path from WinME to Windows 2000. To do a clean
    install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup disks. The set
    of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change
    to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos)
    or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

    Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Ruffy" wrote:
    | In attempting to do the upgrade, I now have both operating systems on my
    | computer. How do I wind up running only Win 2000 and having it recognize
    | everything on my hard disk? Is the first step to delete Win 2000 and if
    so,
    | how do I do this, as it appears to be a 'clean' install and gives me no
    clue
    | as to how to uninstall it? Or, should I uninstall Win ME first?
    |
    | This is my son's computer and I am in desperate need of some help here.
    | Many thanks. Please email me at jeff_leader@yahoo.com. Jeff.

Windows Me Windows 2000 Windows