Sign in with
Your question

Need an opinion on external harddrive enclosures

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
June 26, 2006 1:07:46 AM

I recently purchased a:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS 500GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer

with the hopes of turning it into an external drive for backups. I have been researching and reading customer reviews on external cases, but wanted more opinions on which is the best. I'd like to find a good, but somewhat inexpensive usb 2.0/firewire combo drive (sata interface needed of course), but can live with just the usb 2.0 drive. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
June 26, 2006 4:01:03 AM

Look for the Sabrent ECS-STU35 Serial ATA, I just got one and so far it works great, it doesn't have an onboard cooling fan but it really doesn't need one, I transferred video files all day not giving it a break and it only got mildly warm, its a well ventilated Aluminum Housing USB2.0 with an external power supply.

It will transfer fast enough to pull a video file from it edit the file and put it back on the same drive to store the file without dropping 1 single frame all in the same process, now if it can do that, it can do whatever you need it to do.
!