Do I have a memory problem or what?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
March 25, 2005 9:14:52 AM

Hello

Every once in a while when I´m flying with FS2004 all of the sudden the
sky changes gray (or black if flying at night) and only the very bottom
of the view from the window still stays as it should. The panels are
allright. Can somebody tell me is this a memory problem or what?

Appreciate it.

--Lucas

More about : memory problem

Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 25, 2005 3:23:42 PM

"Lucas" <Lucas@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
news:1111752894.19354@forums.simradar.com...
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 06:14:52 -0600

Hello

Every once in a while when I'm flying with FS2004 all of the sudden
the sky changes gray (or black if flying at night) and only the
very bottom of the view from the window still stays as it should.
The panels are allright. Can somebody tell me is this a memory
problem or what? Appreciate it.

Yeah mine does it too Lucas. I believe they call it sunset and sunrise.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000
March 25, 2005 3:23:43 PM

Thanks for being a smartass, Bill.

I don't know enough about computers to be able to determine my problem.
I can go straight to the store where I bought my set, but somebody
adwised me first to try this way.

a b } Memory
March 25, 2005 3:44:16 PM

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 06:34:53 -0600

Thanks for being a smartass, Bill.

No I am dead serious Lucas! As it takes these jumps right at sunset and
sunrise. And if you have the lighting on the panels, they don't change
at all. Just sit down somewhere and change the clock near sunset or
sunrise. Then change the simulator rate to max. Now you can see what I
mean.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000
March 25, 2005 3:44:17 PM

Ok, sorry that I did'nt realize you were serious. I tried, what you
suggested but it's not what I meant. My problem does occur now and
then, no matter what time of the day it is. It seems that the computer
sort of "looses it" and turns the clouds and the beautiful sky in to
gray. The problem does not usually happen if a restart my computer and
olny open the FS and start flying immediately. Therefore, I have been
thinking that it could be a memory problem...

--Lucas

a b } Memory
March 25, 2005 3:45:14 PM

More details please.
Machine specs. Location you are flying. Time of day. Weather configuration.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Lucas" <Lucas@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message news:1111752894.19354@forums.simradar.com...
> Hello
>
> Every once in a while when I4m flying with FS2004 all of the sudden the
> sky changes gray (or black if flying at night) and only the very bottom
> of the view from the window still stays as it should. The panels are
> allright. Can somebody tell me is this a memory problem or what?
>
> Appreciate it.
>
> --Lucas

March 25, 2005 3:45:15 PM

___| reply |__________________________________________________________

More details please.
Machine specs. Location you are flying. Time of day. Weather
configuration.

--
....Carl Frisk All machines, Carl. Chessna, Learjet, Mooney, Boeings.
All over the planet, every weather. In the mornings, during the day

"Lucas" <news:1111752894.19354@forums.simradar.com...
> Hello
>
> Every once in a while when I4m flying with FS2004 all of the sudden
the
> sky changes gray (or black if flying at night) and only the very
bottom
> of the view from the window still stays as it should. The panels are
> allright. Can somebody tell me is this a memory problem or what?
>
> Appreciate it.
>
> --Lucas

a b } Memory
March 25, 2005 4:22:12 PM

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 07:00:52 -0600

Ok, sorry that I did'nt realize you were serious. I tried, what you
suggested but it's not what I meant. My problem does occur now and
then, no matter what time of the day it is. It seems that the
computer sort of "looses it" and turns the clouds and the beautiful
sky in to gray. The problem does not usually happen if a restart my
computer and olny open the FS and start flying immediately.
Therefore, I have been thinking that it could be a memory
problem...

Okay we got that out of the way. Now I'm assuming you are running
Windows XP? Anyway, go to Start -> Run and type in "dxdiag" and then
click on OK.

I think it will ask you something about checking WHQL digital signatures
or something. And you can click "no" for now. And in that System
Information, what DirectX version are you running? DirectX 9.0c
hopefully?

Next click on the Display tab. What kind of video card does it report,
total memory, and driver version?

And no, I don't think you have a memory problem per se. Maybe a video
card driver which tells the memory what to do though.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000
March 25, 2005 4:22:13 PM

___| reply |__________________________________________________________

Okay we got that out of the way. Now I'm assuming you are running
Windows XP? Anyway, go to Start -> Run and type in "dxdiag" and then
click on OK.

I think it will ask you something about checking WHQL digital
signatures
or something. And you can click "no" for now. And in that System
Information, what DirectX version are you running? DirectX 9.0c
hopefully? Yes, I have DirectX 9.0c.

Next click on the Display tab. What kind of video card does it report,
total memory, and driver version? It seems that I have ATI Radeon
9200 SE, total memory 128.0 MB. The infomartion is in my native
language (finnish) and I am not sure what would be the answer to the
driver version. Could you mean the following: 6.14.0010.6378 (english)?

And no, I don't think you have a memory problem per se. Maybe a video
card driver which tells the memory what to do though. I have a very
basic set, but I'm ready to "enlarge the hobby". If the video card is
the problem, what kind of a video card would you recommend? Can I just
buy one and blug it in? Do you have any idea what it would cost?
Cheers Bill --Lucas

a b } Memory
March 25, 2005 4:55:07 PM

"Lucas" <Lucas@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
> The problem does not usually happen if a restart my computer and
> olny open the FS...

Forgive me if I'm wrong but you seem to be implying here that sometimes you
have something else running at the same time as FS. Well if this is so, as
FS takes nearly all your PC's resource to run, it is not surprising that you
experience what you do. It's not becaues your PC has a problem, it just
doesn't have enough resource to do what your asking of it! :0))

Iain
March 25, 2005 4:55:08 PM

___| reply |__________________________________________________________

Forgive me if I'm wrong but you seem to be implying here that sometimes
you
have something else running at the same time as FS. Well if this is so,
as
FS takes nearly all your PC's resource to run, it is not surprising
that you
experience what you do. It's not becaues your PC has a problem, it just

doesn't have enough resource to do what your asking of it! :0))

Iain I was probably not very clear, but usually I don't have anything
else running at the same time. I have realized that FS needs a lot!
--Lucas

a b } Memory
March 25, 2005 6:55:38 PM

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:14:52 -0600

I have a very basic set, but I'm ready to "enlarge the hobby". If
the video card is the problem, what kind of a video card would you
recommend? Can I just buy one and blug it in? Do you have any idea
what it would cost?
--Lucas

Well I think you are rushing too far ahead yet. As you can download a
newer (or an older which sometimes works better) video card driver from
the manufacture's website (or sometimes from the Windows Updates).

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 25, 2005 10:35:56 PM

That wasn't very informative Lucas.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Lucas" <Lucas@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message news:1111755822.12228@forums.simradar.com...

> ___| reply |__________________________________________________________
>
> More details please.
> Machine specs. Location you are flying. Time of day. Weather
> configuration.
>
> --
> ...Carl Frisk All machines, Carl. Chessna, Learjet, Mooney, Boeings.
> All over the planet, every weather. In the mornings, during the day
> time, in the evening, at night... But luckyly only once in a while...
> --Lucas
> Anger is a brief madness.
> - Horace, 20 B.C.
> http://www.carlfrisk.com
>

> "Lucas" <news:1111752894.19354@forums.simradar.com...
>> Hello
>>
>> Every once in a while when I4m flying with FS2004 all of the sudden
> the
>> sky changes gray (or black if flying at night) and only the very
> bottom
>> of the view from the window still stays as it should. The panels are
>> allright. Can somebody tell me is this a memory problem or what?
>>
>> Appreciate it.
>>
>> --Lucas

March 26, 2005 1:20:05 AM

"Lucas"
> Every once in a while when I´m flying with FS2004 all of the sudden the
> sky changes gray (or black if flying at night) and only the very bottom
> of the view from the window still stays as it should.

We're sure this is not "real weather" changing the weather conditions,
right? Do you know what I mean?

If I'm I understanding you correctly, the top half of the outside view
window turns grey and there is a band of "normal" below this?

If that is that case what happens when you hit the "w" key to make the 2D
cockpit go away?

Can you take a screenshot and post it some where we can see it?

What's your video card and how new is your driver?

Dallas
March 26, 2005 2:15:14 AM

Dallas wrote:
> "Lucas"
>
>>Every once in a while when I´m flying with FS2004 all of the sudden the
>>sky changes gray (or black if flying at night) and only the very bottom
>>of the view from the window still stays as it should.

Snap a screenshot and upload it to http://xs.to/
Wait for the web site link to your picture to appear and send that to us.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
a b } Memory
March 26, 2005 2:21:18 AM

is the hDD pushing it to the limit? It takes me a whole 30 mins
sometimes.... not sure why... but put it on pause and leave it for 30 mins
till the red HDD light stops flashing...

--

Cheers!

Andrew Kam
Phone (24hrs): +65 98777625
MSN Messenger & Email: akam@singmail.com
"Carl Frisk" <c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote in message
> More details please. Machine specs. Location you are flying. Time of
> day. Weather configuration.
>
> --
> ...Carl Frisk
> Anger is a brief madness.
> - Horace, 20 B.C.
> http://www.carlfrisk.com
>

> "Lucas" <Lucas@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
>> Hello Every once in a while when I4m flying with FS2004 all of the sudden
>> the
>> sky changes gray (or black if flying at night) and only the very bottom
>> of the view from the window still stays as it should. The panels are
>> allright. Can somebody tell me is this a memory problem or what?
>> Appreciate it. --Lucas

March 26, 2005 2:21:19 AM

What is the hDD, Andrew?

--Lucas

March 26, 2005 6:29:03 PM

___| reply |__________________________________________________________

"Lucas"
> Every once in a while when I´m flying with FS2004 all of the sudden
the
> sky changes gray (or black if flying at night) and only the very
bottom
> of the view from the window still stays as it should.

We're sure this is not "real weather" changing the weather conditions,
right? Do you know what I mean?
If I'm I understanding you correctly, the top half of the outside view
window turns grey and there is a band of "normal" below this?

If that is that case what happens when you hit the "w" key to make the
2D
cockpit go away?

Can you take a screenshot and post it some where we can see it?

What's your video card and how new is your driver?

Dallas

March 26, 2005 6:36:02 PM

Hi Dallas

I did a quick flight from Arlanda/Sweden to Vantaa/Finland hoping to
get a snapshot for you. Just before the approach, all of the sudden,
the whole outside view -- not just the top half -- change to gray. That
reminded me that the problem usually occurs just minutes before the
approach. If I press the "w" nothing really changes. The 2 D cockpit
disappears and the whole display is gray.

I am not very good with the computer stuff, but my video card would be
an ATI radeon 9200? The whole set is about one year old.

I was thinking could I have a problem with the "settings". Is some of
it "too high" to match the ability of my computer.

--lucas

March 26, 2005 6:40:04 PM

___| reply |__________________________________________________________

Dallas wrote:
> "Lucas"
>
>>Every once in a while when I´m flying with FS2004 all of the sudden
the
>>sky changes gray (or black if flying at night) and only the very
bottom
>>of the view from the window still stays as it should.

Snap a screenshot and upload it to http://xs.to/
Wait for the web site link to your picture to appear and send that to
us.

--
Hey Bob I have not run into the xs.to before, thus wasn't able to send
you a snapshot at this point. I might try again later. Anyway, what

March 27, 2005 2:43:42 AM

Lucas wrote:

>>>Every once in a while when I´m flying with FS2004 all of the sudden
>
> the
>
>>>sky changes gray (or black if flying at night) and only the very
>
> bottom
>
>>>of the view from the window still stays as it should.

Did it look anything like this?????

http://flightsims.vze.com/fs9_video_problem

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
March 27, 2005 4:52:19 AM

"Lucas"
> I am not very good with the computer stuff, but my video card would be
> an ATI radeon 9200? The whole set is about one year old.

I think the problem with getting fast help here is that this is a problem
that no one else has seen.

However, when I installed my NVIDIA card the cockpit was black... this was
fixed by downloading a new driver. If you used the one that came in the ATI
box it was probably 6 months old before you even bought it.

Try a new driver first then get back to us for other possibilities.

Dallas
March 27, 2005 5:42:04 AM

Yep, the first picture on the top is very much what the problem looks
like. Sky is gray and on the ground some white (snowy?) trees are
shown...

--Lucas

a b } Memory
March 27, 2005 5:54:25 AM

Dallas,
I've asked this guy for machine specs twice with no reply. The problem with him getting no help is that he is feeding
us info he wants to give out such as the problem, but not answering our basic questions to begin the process of
troubleshooting.
It's kind of like:

"My car won't start."

"OK what kind of a car do you have?"

"Red."

"OK! Thanks for wasting my time."

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message news:7tn1e.5024$gI5.1031@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

> "Lucas"
>> I am not very good with the computer stuff, but my video card would be
>> an ATI radeon 9200? The whole set is about one year old.
>
> I think the problem with getting fast help here is that this is a problem
> that no one else has seen.
>
> However, when I installed my NVIDIA card the cockpit was black... this was
> fixed by downloading a new driver. If you used the one that came in the ATI
> box it was probably 6 months old before you even bought it.
>
> Try a new driver first then get back to us for other possibilities.
>
> Dallas

March 27, 2005 5:55:04 AM

Okay, sorry about wasting your time Carl Frisk. Didn't know you were
busy.

Dallas: I tried downloading a new driver from the ATI site. Didn't
help. Don't know if I did it right, though.

The link below (and the first picture on the top) expresses pretty much
the problem. I'll try today to reset my settings (graphic etc.) and we
will see what happens.

http://flightsims.vze.com/fs9_video_problem

March 27, 2005 6:36:05 AM

Carl

I'm really trying to co-operate and want to find out what my problem is
with the display. It seems (when running throught the other topics in
this newsgroup) that you like the other guys(=Bob, Dallas, Bill) are a
pro, where as I am not. Give me specific questions and be patient. I
try to provide you what ever information could help you to solve this
problem.

--Lucas

March 27, 2005 12:54:36 PM

Lucas wrote:

> Dallas: I tried downloading a new driver from the ATI site. Didn't
> help. Don't know if I did it right, though.
>
> The link below (and the first picture on the top) expresses pretty much
> the problem. I'll try today to reset my settings (graphic etc.) and we
> will see what happens.
>

> http://flightsims.vze.com/fs9_video_problem

I tried to write down on that web page all the troubleshooting I went
through to fix my problem. I "think" I had to play with different
drivers. But create a restore point before starting.

I do remember going to SETTINGS/DISPLAY and checking and unchecking the
render to texture link.

I am assuming you are using Win XP.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
a b } Memory
March 27, 2005 1:08:10 PM

Fair enough! And no problem.

FYI: This link has some general video card/system information that may help you get up to speed with some of the
questions we may ask.
Notes about getting the most from your CPU & Video Card Tune Up by Carl Frisk from alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim
http://www.fskb.net/Wiki.jsp?page=TipsAndTricks

Here are some general get started questions in more detail.
Post the answers as you get them.

This will eliminate viruses and spyware as culprits:
Have you done a full virus scan?
What is the firewall you are using?
Have you run Ad-Aware & Spybot lately?

This will tell us more about your machine.
For starters right click on My Computer and select properties.

What is the brand of machine?
CPU speed?
How much RAM memory?
What kind is it?
OS & Service Pack. (i.e.XP SP1 or XP SP2 or Win95).

Run dxdiag from the Start-->Run dialog box.
Does it report any errors?
What kind of video card and how much video memory do you have?

Have you installed the FS9 patch?

Have you renamed your FS9.cfg file and restarted FS9?
This can usually be found at:
C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9
Make sure you go to Tools-->Folder Options View Tab and change the setting to Show hidden files and folders. Or you
won't see the .cfg file.

I am busy. Always.
On another NG several of us spent a week diagnosing a crash problem. One of the first questions I asked them is: is
your memory matched. Actually it was the 3rd question. A week later after everyone spending hours helping this person
and looking at every spec on that machine we could think of it turned out to be bad memory. Those are hours we could
have spent flying our sims.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Lucas" <Lucas@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message news:1111912542.2765@forums.simradar.com...
> Carl
>
> I'm really trying to co-operate and want to find out what my problem is
> with the display. It seems (when running throught the other topics in
> this newsgroup) that you like the other guys(=Bob, Dallas, Bill) are a
> pro, where as I am not. Give me specific questions and be patient. I
> try to provide you what ever information could help you to solve this
> problem.
>

> --Lucas

March 27, 2005 3:57:07 PM

___| reply |__________________________________________________________

This will eliminate viruses and spyware as culprits:
Have you done a full virus scan? I have done a full virus scan
resently. Didn't get 100 % pure results, but haven't had any other
problems either... Should I do one now and tell you the specific
results?
What is the firewall you are using? The virus program is Norman and it
should include a firewall. I update real time in the internet, Have you
run Ad-Aware & Spybot lately? I have run Ad-Aware and gotten rid of
all unwanted files.

This will tell us more about your machine.
For starters right click on My Computer and select properties.

What is the brand of machine? The brand is Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo L
CPU speed? CPU speed is 2,60 GHz
How much RAM memory? 510 MB
What kind is it?
OS & Service Pack. (i.e.XP SP1 or XP SP2 or Win95). Windows XP (Home
edition) version 2002, service pack 2

Run dxdiag from the Start-->Run dialog box.
Does it report any errors? No errors.
What kind of video card and how much video memory do you have? Radeon
9200SE Series, 128 MB

Have you installed the FS9 patch? Have you renamed your FS9.cfg file
and restarted FS9?
This is a tricky one. I'm not sure if I know what you mean. I found
the fs9.cfg -file according to your instractions, show it should be
installed...? I have no idea if I have renamed the file and restarted.
What do you mean?

This can usually be found at:
C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9
Make sure you go to Tools-->Folder Options View Tab and change the
setting to Show hidden files and folders. Or you
won't see the .cfg file.

I am busy. Always.
On another NG several of us spent a week diagnosing a crash problem.
One of the first questions I asked them is: is
your memory matched. Actually it was the 3rd question. A week later
after everyone spending hours helping this person
and looking at every spec on that machine we could think of it turned
out to be bad memory. Those are hours we could
have spent flying our sims. This makes me feel bad and stupid. I'm
trying the best I can to understand your questions and to provide the
information you need. But honestly, I am rather unfamiliar with all
this. And furthermore, it's not even my native language. If I start to
sound very "stupid" and "out of the bool game" just let me know. I
thought of re-installing the FS2004 to my computer and check if that
helps. I let you know immediately. Appreciate your help, Carl!
--Lucas

a b } Memory
March 27, 2005 9:00:28 PM

Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 09:08:10 GMT

I am busy. Always.

Same here!

On another NG several of us spent a week diagnosing a crash
problem. One of the first questions I asked them is: is your memory
matched. Actually it was the 3rd question. A week later after
everyone spending hours helping this person and looking at every
spec on that machine we could think of it turned out to be bad
memory.

Good thing we don't work for customer service. One report was one lady
who placed the mouse on the floor and was trying to step on it to turn
on the computer. And we allow these people to breed and to produce
offspring and to actually vote too. How these people actually earn a
living is beyond my understanding. It's just amazing!

Now many years ago, the computer elite gods didn't want the common
morals to have access to this power. I was once one of them, but I fell
away in disagreement about not releasing this power to the masses.
Luckily those that thought like I did finally won!

Although I have to admit, a very small percentage of people have no
business operating or even owning a computer. I really hate to say this,
but I now believe this is true. Maybe the computer elite gods knew
something I didn't. <sigh>

Those are hours we could have spent flying our sims.

I help people in newsgroups and forums all of the time while I'm still
flying. While I *loved* it when OS became multitasking. But I still rely
on multiple computers to do most of my more serious multitasking.

Cheers!

Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000
March 27, 2005 10:17:13 PM

"BillW50"
Good thing we don't work for customer service.

How about the guy who called customer service because his new computer
wouldn't come on. When the rep asked him to check the cables in the back he
said, "I can't see back there, the power is out."

Dalli
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 27, 2005 10:45:51 PM

Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:57:07 -0600

This makes me feel bad and stupid. I'm trying the best I can to
understand your questions and to provide the information you need.
But honestly, I am rather unfamiliar with all this. And
furthermore, it's not even my native language. If I start to sound
very "stupid" and "out of the bool game" just let me know. I
thought of re-installing the FS2004 to my computer and check if
that helps. I let you know immediately. Appreciate your help,
Carl!
--Lucas

Don't feel bad! As we were *all* in your shoes once. And I still
remember the horrors that I went through. Luckily there are more people
to help today, compared to when I started.

Cheers!

Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000
March 27, 2005 10:45:52 PM

Thanks, Bill.

Tried to re-install the game, but that didn't help...

--Lucas

a b } Memory
March 28, 2005 5:52:10 PM

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:00:28 GMT, "BillW50" <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote:

>Although I have to admit, a very small percentage of people have no
>business operating or even owning a computer. I really hate to say this,
>but I now believe this is true. Maybe the computer elite gods knew
>something I didn't. <sigh>

Hi Bill

This may be aprocrophyl.

I heard many years ago about a technichal support guy who was trying
to get a lady's Win3.1 machine working. He had no luck over the phone
so arranged for a person to visit the caller's house.

It transpired that the lady had deleted all the files within the DOS
directory and every single *.ini she came across.

Why? She didn't use those particular files!

James
!