Antec vs. Thermaltake power supply

steve0357

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
I'm looking to upgrade my ps and want to get a really good one, for overclocking, etc. I have a ton of led fans, water cooling system, etc. I was looking at the Antec TP2-550EPS12V 550W and the Themaltake PurePower W0049 680W. Trying to keep the price under $150, and getting a minimum of a 550W.

Which one would you pick? If niether, what brand and model fits my specs?

Thanks a ton!

Steve

ps. I didn't do a Poll question becaues the manufacturings and resellers just respond in hopes to gain customers. I'm not interested in manufactor or reseller opinions. Only real customers, games, etc.

Admiral_Cecil

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
Hello,

I favor the Antec PSU since they seem to be better and others give them high marks. Right now I am using the 120mm version of the Tru550.

steve0357

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
Thanks. I can agree, because I have the true blue 480 now. They are good units. I simply have too much crap in mine, fans, lights, like I said, crap. So, I need a bit more. PPL say Antec power is very clean and good, better than Them, but the Them folks do a better job at cable management. Another reason I was also looking at the Them was because it had 680W, for the future mombo :)

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Depending on your board (there are some cmpatability issues i hear), take a look at the Antec NeoHE 550. It has modular cables, clean power (though a little lower amperages on 3.3 and 5v), and is quiet. Costs about $150.

I got one recently and love it. In my experience, Antec rates their PSUs a little more realistically than other makers. Make sure whatever you buy, they are rated at that level for constant use. If its a 680W max PSU, you are only getting that before it blows.

black_dought

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I'm waiting for my TP2 right now! New years delayed my 3dayship from newegg :x Honestly though, Antec is reliable, others question them because supposidly they have been having issues with them. Another good power supply recommended to me from Antec is the Smart Power. It does depend on your rig though. I got SLI so the Nvidea certified TP2 is a the way to go for me.