threat3

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
right now i have a 6800 and im not satisfied with it. i was thinking of getting a new motherboard so i could get an AMD cpu and get another 6800 with SLI or should i just go with a 7800gt. which setup gets getter performance i heard u get the most power with a duel graphics setup.
thanx

the_guru

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
no but its not an sli motherboard so i would have to buy one if i wanted sli.
I got a bit confused because in the first post you said you were going to buy another 6800. But the AGP-version doesn't support SLI. only the PCI Express version does. So if you are going to upgrade the system. It's better to buy a 7800GT PCI Express or something.

cleeve

Illustrious
You'll gain 10fps in games, and more in everything else, if you grab yourself an Asus 939dual-SATA2 motherboard and AMD64 cpu.

Thn you can keep your current AGP card, and upgrade to PCI-express video when you need to, as the 939dual-SATA2 motherboard has both AGP and PCI-express slots - either of which work with no performance penalty, unlike other dual solutions.

[edit] Sorry, you have a PCI-express 6800? Hell, your money is better spent on a single 7800 GTX or X1800 XT than to bother with a couple 6800's in SLI. They really aren't nearly as good.