Wireless connection of notebook causes internet loss on ot..

Hi all,

I have a DLink DSL G604T linked by ethernet to a Dell Dimension running XP
SP2. Everything works fine, the Dimension can access the internet.

I also have a Dell Latitude D810 which used to simply wirelessly link with
the home network. All was fine with the Dimension and D810 accessing the
internet and seeing each other.

In the last week however, when I try to connect the D810 wirelessly to the
network the D810 cannot access the internet. Also the Dimension immediately
looses its
internet connection when the D810 wirelessly connects to the network. Both
the Dimension and the D810 can can however link to the DLink configuration
through explorer on 192.168.0.1 and both the Dimension and D810 can browse
each other. They just cannot connect to the internet together.

I have run spyware and virus checks on both machines.

Help

Regards

Brian. UK

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Don Draks" <don@draks.co.fr> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have a DLink DSL G604T linked by ethernet to a Dell Dimension running XP
> SP2. Everything works fine, the Dimension can access the internet.

Sounds suspiciously like both machines are being given the same IP number on
your network. Change both machines to manually assign IP numbers
(192.168.0.4 and 192.168.0.5) for example and see what happens.

I find it interesting that your G604T uses the 192.168.0.x range though. I
have one of those and it uses 10.1.1.x range by default. 10.1.1.1 is the
gateway, for example. Another thought here. You may have your WIRED computer
set up manually assigned and are letting the wi-fi go auto assign IP. If
that is the case it is more than possible that the G604T is auto assigning
10.1.1.x to the wi-fi computer and thus the gateway 10.1.1.1 and when you
use the wired one, you are using 192.168.0.x and gateway 192.168.0.1. If
that is the case then of course the router would knock one or the other off
the network. If this IS the case, allow both auto assign OR assign the IP of
the wired one as 10.1.1.7 (for example - some number larger than 10.1.1.2)
and it should be fine.

TRENDING THREADS