Technical question...

madu

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Hi guys..

I have a kind of a technical question.
I am wondering how priograms such as CPU-Z or motherboard monitors, access information such as the CPU voltage, temperature, FSB speed, etc.
Is there anyway that I can access these values in windows. I;m trying to get these values out to a microcontroller. Like if these values are accessible for example in registers or soemthing..
Anybody have any idea..?

Thanks guys...!

endyen

Splendid
Windows does have ROM access, but lacks the ability to interpret the raw data from most of the sensors. That is why you need a seperate prog to get fan speeds, and temps. They generally need to be configed for the specific mobo.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Your best bet would probably be to try to find some open source monitoring software and getting the code behind it. A (comparatively) simple change to make it send the values elsewhere as well as displaying them.

Another option (if the first one is a no-no) would be to use MBM5 or similar set to log values to a file every minute or so, and simply write a program that checks that file at a similar rate and sends your results wherever you need them.

Obviously the first solution is cleaner, but I'm not aware of any such Open Source programs myself... Plus the second one isn't really feasible if you need a much faster sampling rate, as you'd have disk thrashing (and possibly file locking) problems I guess.

HTH

madu

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Hey..
That is a pretty good idea...First one seems easy and clean, but yes.. i doubt about open source monitoring software..
Second option is better.. lockups can happen but i dont want to use it in such high frequencies, so i think i can avoid deadlocks.. but a bit messy though..
Anyway great advice man...! thanks a lot...!!!!

TRENDING THREADS