SB3 out; try VATSIM again

Two of the main reasons that people don't fly online with VATSIM:

1. It's hard to get all the software running.

2. At most times and in most areas, there's more AI traffic than real
traffic on VATSIM.

#2 is partly due to #1. I don't have a connection with VATSIM, except
as an occasional pilot, but if you've tried it before and got stopped
at #1, there's a new version of SquawkBox out (as of this morning)
that's supposed to make it a lot easier to get online. See
http://vatsim.net

Here's the NOTAM from VATSIM:

--- quote ------------------------------------------------------------

SquawkBox, the name that started the online flying craze is back! The
highly anticipated SquawkBox version 3 is complete and ready for use on
VATSIM.net. Almost two and half years in development, Joel DeYoung and
his team have developed this new pilot client from the ground up,
making it simpler and more intuitive than ever.

SquawkBox 3 integrates seamlessly with Microsoft Flight Simulator. No
additional software is needed to get you up and running on the VATSIM
network. Unprecedented stability and usability make SquawkBox
accessible to a wider audience of virtual pilots. The user interface is
clean and simple but designed to stay out of your way until you need
it.

The multiplayer system features over 1300 planes, all displayed with
completely smooth motion. This greatly enhances the realism of your
online flight and makes maneuvers like formation flying possible.
Voice functionality is included in SquawkBox 3 and integrates
flawlessly with your Flight Simulator radio.

SquawkBox 3 features an extensible plug-in architecture allowing for
additional aircraft models, weather functions and tight integration
between SquawkBox 3's transponder/radio and third party aircraft panels
and gauges.

william

"David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
message news:1111771963.19354@forums.simradar.com...
> Two of the main reasons that people don't fly online with VATSIM:
>
> 1. It's hard to get all the software running.
>
> 2. At most times and in most areas, there's more AI traffic than real
> traffic on VATSIM.
>
> #2 is partly due to #1. I don't have a connection with VATSIM, except
> as an occasional pilot, but if you've tried it before and got stopped
> at #1, there's a new version of SquawkBox out (as of this morning)
> that's supposed to make it a lot easier to get online. See
> http://vatsim.net
>
> Here's the NOTAM from VATSIM:
>

> --- quote ------------------------------------------------------------
>

> SquawkBox, the name that started the online flying craze is back! The
> highly anticipated SquawkBox version 3 is complete and ready for use on
> VATSIM.net. Almost two and half years in development, Joel DeYoung and
> his team have developed this new pilot client from the ground up,
> making it simpler and more intuitive than ever.
>
> SquawkBox 3 integrates seamlessly with Microsoft Flight Simulator. No
> additional software is needed to get you up and running on the VATSIM
> network. Unprecedented stability and usability make SquawkBox
> accessible to a wider audience of virtual pilots. The user interface is
> clean and simple but designed to stay out of your way until you need
> it.
>
> The multiplayer system features over 1300 planes, all displayed with
> completely smooth motion. This greatly enhances the realism of your
> online flight and makes maneuvers like formation flying possible.
> Voice functionality is included in SquawkBox 3 and integrates
> flawlessly with your Flight Simulator radio.
>
> SquawkBox 3 features an extensible plug-in architecture allowing for
> additional aircraft models, weather functions and tight integration
> between SquawkBox 3's transponder/radio and third party aircraft panels
> and gauges.

I just tried it and it was an excellent experience....one click connect and
good to go. Some reading always required but its not a lot and not too
different from the previous version.

For those into frame rates I guess since multiplayer does not use the AI I
was averaging 150 and above with real weather and it was smooth as ever.

Give it a try.

Bill

Tim

David Wilson-Okamura wrote:
> Two of the main reasons that people don't fly online with VATSIM:
>
> 1. It's hard to get all the software running.
>
> 2. At most times and in most areas, there's more AI traffic than real
> traffic on VATSIM.
>
> #2 is partly due to #1. I don't have a connection with VATSIM, except
> as an occasional pilot, but if you've tried it before and got stopped
> at #1, there's a new version of SquawkBox out (as of this morning)
> that's supposed to make it a lot easier to get online. See
> http://vatsim.net
>
> Here's the NOTAM from VATSIM:
>

> --- quote ------------------------------------------------------------
>

> SquawkBox, the name that started the online flying craze is back! The
> highly anticipated SquawkBox version 3 is complete and ready for use
> on VATSIM.net. Almost two and half years in development, Joel DeYoung
> and his team have developed this new pilot client from the ground up,
> making it simpler and more intuitive than ever.
>
> SquawkBox 3 integrates seamlessly with Microsoft Flight Simulator. No
> additional software is needed to get you up and running on the VATSIM
> network. Unprecedented stability and usability make SquawkBox
> accessible to a wider audience of virtual pilots. The user interface
> is clean and simple but designed to stay out of your way until you
> need it.
>
> The multiplayer system features over 1300 planes, all displayed with
> completely smooth motion. This greatly enhances the realism of your
> online flight and makes maneuvers like formation flying possible.
> Voice functionality is included in SquawkBox 3 and integrates
> flawlessly with your Flight Simulator radio.
>
> SquawkBox 3 features an extensible plug-in architecture allowing for
> additional aircraft models, weather functions and tight integration
> between SquawkBox 3's transponder/radio and third party aircraft
> panels and gauges.

Just tried it and compared to the previous obstacle race required to get on
line, this is a real breeze!

Very, very good and there were some 600 pilots and ATC connected this
afternoon, so lots of people trying it out.

Tim

Tim

<snip>
> Very, very good and there were some 600 pilots and ATC connected this
> afternoon, so lots of people trying it out.
>
> Tim

</snip>

I spoke to soon, it peaked at around 1350! Fantastic evening on VATSIM.

Tim

Is there anywhere that I can fly as a new pilot on VATSIM and get some ATC
training. Years ago, I tried Vatsim out -- but even after working out how
to connect, etc , I was intimidated by the fact that I didn't know the ATC
rules. At least with GA flying using FSHost, you can just fly around without
knowing too much.

Barry

"David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
message news:1111771963.19354@forums.simradar.com...
> Two of the main reasons that people don't fly online with VATSIM:
>
> 1. It's hard to get all the software running.
>
> 2. At most times and in most areas, there's more AI traffic than real
> traffic on VATSIM.
>
> #2 is partly due to #1. I don't have a connection with VATSIM, except
> as an occasional pilot, but if you've tried it before and got stopped
> at #1, there's a new version of SquawkBox out (as of this morning)
> that's supposed to make it a lot easier to get online. See
> http://vatsim.net
>
> Here's the NOTAM from VATSIM:
>

> --- quote ------------------------------------------------------------
>

> SquawkBox, the name that started the online flying craze is back! The
> highly anticipated SquawkBox version 3 is complete and ready for use on
> VATSIM.net. Almost two and half years in development, Joel DeYoung and
> his team have developed this new pilot client from the ground up,
> making it simpler and more intuitive than ever.
>
> SquawkBox 3 integrates seamlessly with Microsoft Flight Simulator. No
> additional software is needed to get you up and running on the VATSIM
> network. Unprecedented stability and usability make SquawkBox
> accessible to a wider audience of virtual pilots. The user interface is
> clean and simple but designed to stay out of your way until you need
> it.
>
> The multiplayer system features over 1300 planes, all displayed with
> completely smooth motion. This greatly enhances the realism of your
> online flight and makes maneuvers like formation flying possible.
> Voice functionality is included in SquawkBox 3 and integrates
> flawlessly with your Flight Simulator radio.
>
> SquawkBox 3 features an extensible plug-in architecture allowing for
> additional aircraft models, weather functions and tight integration
> between SquawkBox 3's transponder/radio and third party aircraft panels
> and gauges.

william

Yes there is. SB3 now makes the flying part easy. As for ATC its a bit more
complex as it requires training from the ground up. No pun intended :)

To do ATC you need to select an area or region you feel most comfortable
with and then go through the training for that area. Vatsim is divided into
many geographic regions, some more populated than others. As an example my
division is www.vatcar.org if you want to check us out. We recently started
adding more staff etc and just finished our online training program.

Let me know if I can help further.
Bill

Anyway not to bore you but the choices are plenty
"Barry Ward" <wardb3@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> Is there anywhere that I can fly as a new pilot on VATSIM and get some ATC
> training. Years ago, I tried Vatsim out -- but even after working out
> how
> to connect, etc , I was intimidated by the fact that I didn't know the ATC
> rules. At least with GA flying using FSHost, you can just fly around
> without
> knowing too much.
>
> Barry
>

> "David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
> message news:1111771963.19354@forums.simradar.com...
>> Two of the main reasons that people don't fly online with VATSIM:
>>
>> 1. It's hard to get all the software running.
>>
>> 2. At most times and in most areas, there's more AI traffic than real
>> traffic on VATSIM.
>>
>> #2 is partly due to #1. I don't have a connection with VATSIM, except
>> as an occasional pilot, but if you've tried it before and got stopped
>> at #1, there's a new version of SquawkBox out (as of this morning)
>> that's supposed to make it a lot easier to get online. See
>> http://vatsim.net
>>
>> Here's the NOTAM from VATSIM:
>>

>> --- quote ------------------------------------------------------------
>>

>> SquawkBox, the name that started the online flying craze is back! The
>> highly anticipated SquawkBox version 3 is complete and ready for use on
>> VATSIM.net. Almost two and half years in development, Joel DeYoung and
>> his team have developed this new pilot client from the ground up,
>> making it simpler and more intuitive than ever.
>>
>> SquawkBox 3 integrates seamlessly with Microsoft Flight Simulator. No
>> additional software is needed to get you up and running on the VATSIM
>> network. Unprecedented stability and usability make SquawkBox
>> accessible to a wider audience of virtual pilots. The user interface is
>> clean and simple but designed to stay out of your way until you need
>> it.
>>
>> The multiplayer system features over 1300 planes, all displayed with
>> completely smooth motion. This greatly enhances the realism of your
>> online flight and makes maneuvers like formation flying possible.
>> Voice functionality is included in SquawkBox 3 and integrates
>> flawlessly with your Flight Simulator radio.
>>
>> SquawkBox 3 features an extensible plug-in architecture allowing for
>> additional aircraft models, weather functions and tight integration
>> between SquawkBox 3's transponder/radio and third party aircraft panels
>> and gauges.

So SB3 doesn't require additional software at all?
Everything is wrapped in that one program?

SBRelay, Host, AVC Tuner and CSL are intergrated and no longer necessary as
seperate programs? Because that was the bottleneck before....

If this is true I'm definately giving it a try again!

--

Marcel
(I've got a baaad feeling about this.....)

One more thing (and this is something I never did understand)....

When you're logging in....at "Home Airport", do you enter the airport where
you're starting your flight from, or the airport that's closest to your
house?

--

Marcel
(If you've gotta be part of a group, be part of a group of simmers!)

william

Marcel,

To answer your first question. SB3 is a completely new program. It is not a
combination of the other programs. With SB3 and FS2004 it automatically
starts your multi player session, then you connect to VATSIM and you file
your flight plan and you are good to go. Voice is integrated and is a breeze
to set up. After 30 minutes into my flight I felt like I was back in a real
aircraft with ATC. It was truly easy and realistic. So get SB3 install it
and fly. It also works with FS2002

As for where you start its up to you. Choose any airport in FS and start at
the gate..not a runway as you may drop on someone else :) ATC within range
automatically shows in SB , you tune the freq on your radio and call up.
Thats it...

Give it a try. I am off to do another flight

Bill

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 11:56:14 -0500, William wrote:

> Marcel,
>
> To answer your first question. SB3 is a completely new program. It is not a
> combination of the other programs. With SB3 and FS2004 it automatically
> starts your multi player session, then you connect to VATSIM and you file
> your flight plan and you are good to go. Voice is integrated and is a breeze
> to set up. After 30 minutes into my flight I felt like I was back in a real
> aircraft with ATC. It was truly easy and realistic. So get SB3 install it
> and fly. It also works with FS2002

Bill,

The reason I asked was because SB2.3 needed SBRelay to make an MP-session
possible. I read the SB3 installation manual on www.vatsim.net and there's
no mention that any other programs are needed. So in a sense everything we
needed to install and load to go online with SB2.3 has basically been
intergrated into SB3, including voice and aircraft shapes.

I'm gonna get it tomorrow, install it, pick a nice quiet airport somewhere,
do a comm-check and then go for a little buzz in the area.
Maybe I'll get the A36 first so I'll have a reason to go flying. :)

Testing it in the Phillipines (where my Howard 500 currently is) doesn't
seem like the best idea.

> As for where you start its up to you. Choose any airport in FS and start at
> the gate..not a runway as you may drop on someone else :) ATC within range
> automatically shows in SB , you tune the freq on your radio and call up.
> Thats it...

No no...I meant the "Home Airport" section at the beginning of the session.
Never mind. I'll figure it out.
Thanks for the input.

--

Marcel
(Q: What do you do when Stormtroopers look for you?

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 21:07:40 +0100, Marcel Kuijper
<zoepetier_nothing_here@hotmail.com> wrote:

>No no...I meant the "Home Airport" section at the beginning of the session.
>Never mind. I'll figure it out.
>Thanks for the input.

Home airport is where ever you want your home base to be. You don't have to fly
from there.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 12:38:56 +0100, Nobby Bates wrote:

> Home airport is where ever you want your home base to be. You don't have to fly
> from there.

Clear and simple. Thanks, Nobby.

--

Marcel
(You've got clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?)